The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2003, 01:21 AM   #1
*MJF*
No longer truckless

What would you do?

Now don't tell my small 4WD club this, but I'm thinking about getting out of the 4X4 game. I'm finding that it's too expensive for me & you can never actually finish a 4X4. Mine's nowhere near finished & I've already changed my plans a million times.

Anyway, so I've got this 70 K5. I'm into it for alot of money. I traded a 73 K5 that I had about $6000 into & have since put more money into it & am having a full cage built that by the time I finish will probably cost me $1500. And if I had the money, I could easily dump another $2000 into suspension & a couple grand into drivetrain. See where this is going? Bottomless pit.

My wife wants me to sell it & give her teh noney to pay off some bills & she says we can save up to get me one of my dream cars. Now I'm smart enough to know if I sell it, I'm SOL until I hit the lotto, so I've been tossing around the idea of trying to work a trade.

My dream cars in order are:
67-69 camaro
corvette(but I'm really picky about which ones I like)
69-72 trucks
& a few chevelles

So without having any cash to make up the difference if I was to trade, what should I do:
1. Keep the K5 & quit whining
2. trade the k5 for a pos camaro, vette, or chevelle that has no engine, tranny, or interior(since that's all I could get in a straight across trade)
3. try to find a nice short bed 2wd 69-72 truck to make into a nice cruiser(a straight across trade should be doable in this case).

There is no option for: keep the K5 & just drive it like it is. I get really impatient & want everything done right now. I don't wheel the blazer hard, but I want it built so it doesn't break everytimr I take it on the trail.
*MJF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:24 AM   #2
miket

Talking

Don't know if this will work for you but I have always used this as an opportunity to trade up by using guilt equity with my wife. It has always worked for me but, it's your call.

Evergreen Protective Coatings
Gatorhyde...the best kept secret in spray in bed lining & protection
miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:26 AM   #3
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Old 03-19-2003, 01:26 AM   #4
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

Hey MJF it's a shame that you're on the other coast,I have a Chevelle that needs some work that I'm trying to get rid of.

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:26 AM   #5
krazy_texan

can i see pics
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:29 AM   #6
*MJF*
No longer truckless

miket, I've definitely used up all the guilt equity. I hav put my wife through alot in the past year or so with buying. trading, & giving away vehicles. I went from never owning a 4WD to now I've had 5 different ones at the house.

She hates the fact that I usually end up giving parts away that I don't need for my project. She thinks I should sell everything & make a profit. I see it as good Karma.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:32 AM   #7
*MJF*
No longer truckless

I don't have any good pics of the K5, but that's it in my avatar. It's not a bad truck. It's got 3/4 ton axles, 4-5"lift with a shackle flip in the rear. And it still has enough of the original equipment to make the purists at least a little happy.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:40 AM   #8
Alexis
Member since 2000

Sell her and get a 2wd!!!

Sell her and get a 2wd. Alot less part to worry about Plus you can race around and do this . I can't wait till I get rid of my 4x4 but i'm also gonna miss it. You can easly sell the blazer in Auto trader for a nice settlement of cash aroudn this area.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:56 AM   #9
krazy_texan

i have a 71 c/20 and have been wanting a blazer very badly but
1. i dont think that my truck is worthy of your trade unless you want to do some body work and replace the cab supports and rockers, and put new rubber in it and rewire it.
2. if you are interested you have to come to Texas to make the transaction as my parents wont let me leave state.
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 02:10 AM   #10
Alexis
Member since 2000

also if you want to get some picture of your ride. Drop me an email i got a digi cam.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:29 PM   #11
Class of 69

What to do???

I can't believe no one took off on the "Bottomless Pit" Any thing you buy, or trade for will be a bottomless pit unless you are willing to leave it as it is when you buy it!!! Will you do that?? NO! Why not? Because we're gear heads, and wanting every damn option available, and performance part we can stuff under the hood is in our blood!! My wife thinks I bleed oil when I get a cut. That's cause the best disinfectant is MORE GREASE Right? If you are tired of the Blazer, sell or trade it for what you think you want at this particular moment, but don't think this will be the end of the addiction, unless your getting a frontal lobotimy at the same time! Your into the Blazer WHY too deep to recover all your expense, just as we all are. Maybe just keeping it off the trail, and streeting it will cut some expense. You difinately won't need that roll cage. But will you be happy with that??? If you find the answer to that one let us know cause after 35 years of playing with toys, I still have doubts about what I want to be when I grow up.. Seriously... Good Luck with your decision, no one can answer the question but YOU..
Class of 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:43 PM   #12
jays68yak

If you really want a 2wd truck there is one in fremont for $1200. Its a step side with a straight 6 .

What are you looking to get $$$ wise for your blazer? I would say keep it cuz anything you get will be $$$ every now and then. If you really want to sell it then take it to the car show this weekend and put it in the car carrall. Ill be there trying to get ride of my truck.

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. "
jays68yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 01:59 PM   #13
1972chevy4x4

I would consider the 2wd swb, fewer parts to buy and alot easier to work on. Sorry to see you what to get rid of the blazer, but should take some good money. Good luck.
Always in need of 67-72 parts in central ks.
1972chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 03:09 PM   #14
*MJF*
No longer truckless

My thinking with a 2WD is it would cut some of the expenses. With a 2WD, I would focus on interior, engine performance, & looks whereas with the 4WD I still have all that to do plus tcase, suspension, & the various offroad doodads I want.

As far as the roll cage, it's gonna be sick. I am incorporating my seats into the cage design. Later I may add something behind the seat so I can incorporate a harness instead of just having lap belts. I'm hoping the cage will drastically change my perception of the truck. Right now it's got a busted up bench seat that sits way too far back & the seat back leans way too far back. Once I get the buckets in that will ahve some adjustment to them, it should be fun to drive. Being able to see over the dash will help a little too.

I thought about keeping it a street truck, but the front springs are Ranchos & they are very stiff. I would still need to change those out to a softer spring & you know what that leads to. hmmm well those springs made it ride so much better, maybe I'll go ahead & add..... bottomless pit

I know all projects are bottomless pits & I really enjoy working on mine. But the guilt trips are getting worse every time I spend a little dough. My wife wants responsible things like a roof for the house. Roof, bah, throw a tarp over it, I need to get some parts for the truck
Old 03-19-2003, 03:41 PM   #15
Class of 69

What to do???

BOY....MJF, been there with the wife(s) On number 3 over bottomless pits, and other such things! I can't exactly say I toe the line any better for this one, but I want to keep her, so I just cross it a WHOLE lot slower. Maybe after the cage, you could do the roof? might get her off your back and onto the front for awhile . Anyway, sounds like you want to keep what you got... maybe just slow down a little till the smoke settles.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:15 PM   #16
*MJF*
No longer truckless

My main problem is I love cars & trucks. I have for as long as I can remember. Now that I'm older(notice I didn't say grown up), I want one of every car I have ever liked.

I've been doing the 4X4 thing for a couple years now, & my interests are starting to lean back toward a muscle car or hot rod truck. It's kinda hard to hot rod a k5 with 4 inches of lift safely. But when you're broke most of the time, the only cars you can afford are shells that need a total resto.

I really do like my K5, I just can't stop thinking of new things I want to add to it. The only money I get to put into the truck is the money I make from overtime. My wife finally cut me off from spending household money on the truck. She should have done it a long time ago, but she was hoping I would finish "this one last upgrade, I promise" & be done. hehe she's a good woman & I'm just a big kid
Old 03-19-2003, 04:23 PM   #17
yellowgmc
Getting cabin fever?!?!?!

i say keep it. what are you breaking on the trail? work up from there. put off the cage for now and pull some decent buckets from the junkyard. prioritize what you want to do and save cash until you have enuf. your doing better than me. i have to find a rolling blazer chasis and some 1 ton axles to start my new project. (wife doesn't know yet!)

1972 GMC 1500
1994 F-150 XL 4x4

Tact is for people not whitty enough to be sarcastic
yellowgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 09:46 PM   #18
oldsub86

I want 4 wheel drive but then I am here in the snow. I guess if I were you I would swap for a 2 wheel drive pickup and or a Camaro. With a little luck you could do both.

What I want as another project vehicle is a early 80's Mercedes turbo diesel sedan or wagon. I guess there is no accounting for individual tastes?