The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #51
jkade

Re: how much $ into your dropmember

I have about $500 in my c4 dropmember so far and that is including the complete front suspension. I built my own though
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #52
Wild83C10

Built your own what? Built your own dropmember? or just everything else?

383 MASS-FLO EFI/TKO II 600/3.90 Posi 10 bolt
S475 and C4 DM running, fine tuning
turbo=
Douchebag Racing: Runs Fine all the Time
Wild83C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:05 AM   #53
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild83C10 View Post
Him and his dad did a nice job on building their own crossmember for the c4 suspension. That does not really play into this question though

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #54
AfterThoughtVideo

seems everyone has diffrent prices

so figure $1,800 for the front dropmember with everything needed and I'd be safe?

http://www.MyspaceImageCodes.net/images/76354Sig.jpg
AfterThoughtVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #55
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild83C10 View Post
Yes we built a crossmember that was a hack job of the Porterbilt designed. My old man was smart enough to draw it out on paper and a few hours with the plasma and welder we made our own. It isn't as nice as what I would have bought but serves the purpose.

He already knew about the c4 geometry as he built a full chassis to go under his 69 camaro. He even put the c4 IRS under the camaro. I am lucky to have someone to help me out, if not I would be the owner of a porterbuilt dropmember. A Porterbilt dropmember is money well spent..

Last edited by jkade; 04-13-2009 at 08:13 PM.
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #56
tds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterThoughtVideo View Post
seems everyone has diffrent prices

so figure $1,800 for the front dropmember with everything needed and I'd be safe?
pretty much. 1750 i think i've figured with the cheaper rack. you buy unisteers rack and you'll be alot closer to 2 gs
Old 04-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #57
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tds View Post
pretty much. 1750 i think i've figured with the cheaper rack. you buy unisteers rack and you'll be alot closer to 2 gs
I am currently putting another parts list together to help the guys who are doing their best to s-t-r-e-t-c-h their budget as far is it can go, while still utilizing a Porterbuilt Dropmember. Hoping to have it posted up this evening (late) or tomorrow.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #58
tds

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
I am currently putting another parts list together to help the guys who are doing their best to s-t-r-e-t-c-h their budget as far is it can go, while still utilizing a Porterbuilt Dropmember. Hoping to have it posted up this evening (late) or tomorrow.
i sent you a pm nate. i'm extremely interested in this list.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #59
tds

Quote:
any werd?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:42 PM   #60
PBFAB.COM

There have been a number of guys looking for the most economical solution for their Dropmember installation. I decided to help put some information together in order to assist them in their quest to meet their budget. Keep in mind, that there are certain aspects that should not be short-cut, and in the end, there is a difference in quality between many of the parts available.

Rack and Pinion

The Dropmember was designed to be used with a 79-93 Mustang rack and pinion. There can be a considerable price difference between manufacturers, and with this price fluctuation, a large variance in quality is also found.
I recommend a Unisteer Performance rack and pinion (8010020) this unit retails for $322. If this unit puts a squeeze on the budget, one can find a remanufactured unit through a local parts house for up to a couple hundred dollars less. In order to make things easier when searching for a replacement rack here are a couple part numbers to aid the search: 22-201F; 22-203F. I was able to cross these part numbers and find a unit that sold for $75 on-line. Remember, cheaper isn’t always better.

If you are looking for a manual rack and pinion unit, you will find that they are typically more expensive than the power units due to their limited supply. If you search hard enough on-line, you could track them down for under $150.

Steering Linkage and Joints

This is probably the biggest area of surprise when piecing together the parts, as most don’t realize how expensive these pieces really are. I recommend, and sell, the Borgeson joints with our steering kit. The joints sell for $75.95 each, and typically 3 joints are needed for the 60-72 trucks, and only 2 for the 73-87 models. 18 inches of 3/4DD steering shaft will be needed, and the shaft goes for just under $40 from Borgeson. An idler bearing (3/4 rod end) is needed when running three joints. The Borgeson idler bearing runs $31.95.

Here are the descriptions of the u-joints that will be required:

Depending on the output shaft of the column end you will need one of the following:

73-87: 1”DD x 3/4DD; or 1”-48spline x 3/4DD
67-72: ¾-36 spline x 3/4DD
60-66: ¾ smooth bore x 3/4DD; or ¾-36 spline x 3/4DD

Rack and pinion end steering joints are as follows:

Power Rack and Pinion: ¾-36 spline x 3/4DD
Manual Rack and Pinion: 3/4DD x 9/16-26 spline

Through a quick search on-line I was able to find steering joints that match these descriptions at Speedway Motors for $65 each.

The power steering lines will be the last piece necessary if running a power assist unit. I have purchased a few different kits, and will only sell the one offered by Borgeson, it sells for $75.95. It comes with the necessary fittings, while not all the others I had purchased did. I found this kit at Jeg’s for $63.

Let’s do a quick breakdown and see how much it would cost for the steering pieces if you looked to save the most money:

Power rack and pinion: $75.00
Steering joints: $195.00 (3 from Speedway Motors)
Steering Shaft: $26.99 (Jegs)
Steering idler: $10.00 (Speedway Motors)
Power Steering Lines: $63.00 (Jegs)

If I do my math right, that totals $370.00 when running three u-joints and an idler on the steering linkage. When running two u-joints (73-87 models) the cheapest total for steering comes to $295.

Don’t forget bags, I recommend a Slam RE7 and we currently sell them for $75 each.

The shocks that work with the Dropmember are a Monroe 32245 or equivalent (quick google found a shock that will fit for as little as $17). We sell a KYB that crosses over and the pair runs $89. Like the other components, some leg-work on-line will more than likely save a few bucks.

Current pricing on the Dropmember is $1199 plus $100 to ship. If you get in on a group buy (5 or more) it will save $100.

Here’s my final disclaimer; Cheaper isn’t always better, and I recommend using quality components that will last, and protect your investment. Please keep this in mind when purchasing your parts.

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 04-28-2009, 12:06 AM   #61
VA72C10
VA72C10

Thanks for that write up and all the information. How much to modify a set of factory A-arms for those of us too poor to buy yours or the Air Ride tubular ones?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:19 AM   #62
XXL
Señor Member

Quote:
Rack and Pinion

The Dropmember was designed to be used with a 79-93 Mustang rack and pinion. There can be a considerable price difference between manufacturers, and with this price fluctuation, a large variance in quality is also found.
I recommend a Unisteer Performance rack and pinion (8010020) this unit retails for $322. If this unit puts a squeeze on the budget, one can find a remanufactured unit through a local parts house for up to a couple hundred dollars less. In order to make things easier when searching for a replacement rack here are a couple part numbers to aid the search: 22-201F; 22-203F. I was able to cross these part numbers and find a unit that sold for $75 on-line. Remember, cheaper isn’t always better.
Summit Racing #SUM-770603 is currently $188.xx landed on your doorstep. It's brand new and on sale from ~ $215 shipped.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 12:26 AM   #63
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Thanks for that write up and all the information. How much to modify a set of factory A-arms for those of us too poor to buy yours or the Air Ride tubular ones?
How large of a tire, and what spindle would you be running?

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 04-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #64
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
How large of a tire, and what spindle would you be running?
30" tall tire and 2 1/2" spindle....know I won't be laying rocker...I just want the dropmember for the improved ride geometry...will be doing a small step notch in the rear of the blazer that will still allow rear seats as well...
Old 04-28-2009, 01:44 AM   #65
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL View Post
Summit Racing #SUM-770603 is currently $188.xx landed on your doorstep. It's brand new and on sale from ~ $215 shipped.
Just so others aren't confused, they are remanufactured racks, not brand new from Summit according to the link you provided
Old 04-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #66
XXL
Señor Member

Quote:
Just so others aren't confused, they are remanufactured racks, not brand new from Summit according to the link you provided
Thanks! I was misusing "brand new"... as in... not a used unit pulled off a car and sold. Yes, they're reman'd. Also come with a lifetime warranty from Summit.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #67
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
30" tall tire and 2 1/2" spindle....know I won't be laying rocker...I just want the dropmember for the improved ride geometry...will be doing a small step notch in the rear of the blazer that will still allow rear seats as well...
Best solution will be to locate a set of 73-87 lowers from a 1/2 ton. I sell a set of bag plates for $65. The 73-87 factory arms and plates will work perrfectly for your application. Factory uppers from 63-87 will work up top.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 04-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #68
tds

Quote:
Best solution will be to locate a set of 73-87 lowers from a 1/2 ton. I sell a set of bag plates for $65. The 73-87 factory arms and plates will work perrfectly for your application. Factory uppers from 63-87 will work up top.
if i already have 81 arms. i'm pretty much stuck redoing the lower or buying lowers correct