The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
cableguy0

Re: 5.7 TBI in an 86????? Anyone done this swap??

the d shaft will go into the trans a bit further once u set it down on the crossmember with a mount isntead of sitting up on the pan. ideally you would want the shiny part of that yolk all the way in the trans. it will be close enough once you set the trans down
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
mcbassin
Still Learning

I made a threaded bung out of SS and welded it to the truck manifold.
Pics of progress:
Before

After

mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:51 PM   #3
mcbassin
Still Learning

I'm working on all the mechanical issues with the engine install. But, I am starting to try to figure out some of my wiring and gage problems. I'm curious if any of you guys left the original sending units if you did this type of swap? I am planning to install the original truck oil senders and the temp, I just don't know about the ones from the car engine? Does the ecm need to see info from these? I will have to come up with tees if that is the case.
Here is the car senders:

Here are the truck senders:

I also notice there are some electical components I don't know what are?
I know one of these is a fuel pump relay....so what are the other pieces?
do I need them?

Old 08-25-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
rfmaster

Mike

First photo.

The T combo.
One of the two sensors is a pressure transducer which is used for oil pressure gauge while the other is an oil pressure switch which is used for idiot light. Take a close look at both - look for GM part numbers. The temp sensor on the right should be screwed into the driver side cylinder head. Remove car sensor and replace with truck version. IMHO, now is the time to get replacement sender as old ones can develop a leak.

Second photo

Combo bracket - this bracket was mounted on a passenger side fender skirt (B- Body) and is used to support ESC module, ?, couple AC circuit relays and ECM fuse holder. Electronic spark control (ESC) module is used in conjunction with knock sensor (KS) to provides a voltage signal to ECM when engine knock is detected. ESC module is analog signal conditioner - filter. Depending on severity of detected knock it will pulse 9 volt output to ECM, indicating presence and persistence of engine knock.

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
mcbassin
Still Learning

RF,
You mentioned that one of the relays is for the A/C controls? Is this to kick the compressor on? I assume I will need to tie this into the truck harness?

Another thing came up today that for some reason I never noticed. This transmission has an electrical speed sensor and the truck has a mechanical cable that runs the speedo. Is there a simple solution for this? Or let me rephrase, is there a cheap solution to get the speedo to run?

We made good progress today on the install. Finished the exhaust, changed out the sending units, moved the tranny cross member, put the new straps on the rear U-joint. It looks like I will need to drill some holes for the cross member. 2 bolts on each side lined up. Also, the driveshaft seems to be just about the right length. Hopefully, we can wrap up all the mechanical this week and get to wiring this weekend. This is slow going when you only have an hour here and 2 hours there. Here are some pics:

Old 08-26-2009, 01:22 AM   #6
rfmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
RF,
You mentioned that one of the relays is for the A/C controls? Is this to kick the compressor on? I assume I will need to tie this into the truck harness?

Another thing came up today that for some reason I never noticed. This transmission has an electrical speed sensor and the truck has a mechanical cable that runs the speedo. Is there a simple solution for this? Or let me rephrase, is there a cheap solution to get the speedo to run?

We made good progress today on the install. Finished the exhaust, changed out the sending units, moved the tranny cross member, put the new straps on the rear U-joint. It looks like I will need to drill some holes for the cross member. 2 bolts on each side lined up. Also, the driveshaft seems to be just about the right length. Hopefully, we can wrap up all the mechanical this week and get to wiring this weekend. This is slow going when you only have an hour here and 2 hours there. Here are some pics:

Mike

Regarding AC control relays and circuit.
AC control circuit will require some rework. I have a FSM for '91 B-body which covers AC circuit in detail. I do not have the same manual for your truck! If you can get your truck information than we have a good chance of putting a combo harness that will work.

Regarding speedometer.

Bad news - money involved. To get a fully functional spedo - VSS will require procurement of two parts. You have to get a mechanical speedometer driven gear housing - that's what plugs into transmission in place of your electronic vehicle speed sensor (VSS) from an earlier 700R4 equipped car or truck from JY or a local tranny shop. Try to get aluminum one - they last longer. Depending on tire/rear end ratio you'll have to change driven gear to get speedometer to read correct speed. Furthermore, to keep ECM happy an inline bolt-in VSS from JTR will have to be procured. TBI equipped cars and trucks used two-pulse (2000 pulses per mile) square wave VSS (it's a reed switch) through 1992. You can read a full explanation here:
http://www.jtrpublishing.com/Pages/S...eedometer.html

A lower cost VSS is available from Summit made Rostra Precision Controls 250-4153
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RPC-250-4153/
Specs for this part - number of pulses per revolution are not available. I did not use this part before so I have no first hand experience. Perhaps, worth a call to summit tech line.

Another rely cheap inline VSS is made by SCS/Frigette 208-3606 - again no first hand experience with this one.

More discussion with VSS retrofitting can be found here:
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=50649

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfmaster View Post
Mike

Regarding AC control relays and circuit.
AC control circuit will require some rework. I have a FSM for '91 B-body which covers AC circuit in detail. I do not have the same manual for your truck! If you can get your truck information than we have a good chance of putting a combo harness that will work.

Regarding speedometer.

Bad news - money involved. To get a fully functional spedo - VSS will require procurement of two parts. You have to get a mechanical speedometer driven gear housing - that's what plugs into transmission in place of your electronic vehicle speed sensor (VSS) from an earlier 700R4 equipped car or truck from JY or a local tranny shop. Try to get aluminum one - they last longer. Depending on tire/rear end ratio you'll have to change driven gear to get speedometer to read correct speed. Furthermore, to keep ECM happy an inline bolt-in VSS from JTR will have to be procured. TBI equipped cars and trucks used two-pulse (2000 pulses per mile) square wave VSS (it's a reed switch) through 1992. You can read a full explanation here:
http://www.jtrpublishing.com/Pages/S...eedometer.html

A lower cost VSS is available from Summit made Rostra Precision Controls 250-4153
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RPC-250-4153/
Specs for this part - number of pulses per revolution are not available. I did not use this part before so I have no first hand experience. Perhaps, worth a call to summit tech line.

Another rely cheap inline VSS is made by SCS/Frigette 208-3606 - again no first hand experience with this one.

More discussion with VSS retrofitting can be found here:
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=50649

//RF
RF,
I am wondering if I tie truck A/C control wire(s) into the circuit that goes to the ecm for the a/c would that then control the relay to fire the a/c? What info about the truck is required to construct the harness you are talking about? Do you do this type of work? I am assuming you are a EE....is it just a hobby?

Regarding the VSS, it looks like this with the proper gear ratio and tire size would be a direct replacement:

It is pretty pricey at a $101 plus the shipping. I wonder if any of the early 90s
burb or blazer instrument panel with necessary wiring would solve the speedo issue? As always, thanks for the help!
Mike