The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Gene

Angry Frame off frustration!!

How many of you start your restoration with a budget in mind only to get 3/4 way through and run out of money?? I have my rolling chassis complete and am to the point where I am ready for paint. I have all my new interior bought, but now I am thinking of all the "little things" I have left that will eat away the remaining money I have set aside to finish my truck. I have the paint and body money set aside and about 1000 left that was to be the money for my aftermarket air/heat from Old Air products, welll long story short the last thousand will go towards all the forgotten pieces such as, exhaust 275, driveshaft(rear)225, Window gaskets (front and back) and door seals. Crap! I will have to use the old ac system I guess just to be able to drive the darn thing until I can save up the extra $$$$. I have always heard to figure your budget then double it, but geez... I started with a complete truck and took out a loan to get it done fast because as my wife is always telling me I have a tendency to be a little impaitent. Anyone else in this situation right now?
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Frame off frustration!!

Welcome to the restoration club
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Yep, twice as much and three times as long. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, became the president, etc., etc.

My last big project, I took a loan out for $25K which bought the '69 Camaro ($6000) and put the other $19K into parts and that was stage 1. Still needed to do the rear end, paint and some interior work.

The truck, which was suppose to be a 6 month "freshen the suspension" has turned into more then a year and I have at least another 6 months to go. Already into it $3500 (not including the $2300 paid for it) and still have a ways to go.

Ah what a fun hobby. LOL
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

You made it 3/4 of the way before you ran out? You have about 95% of us beat

Don't skimp on what you want, just make sacrifices here and there and you'll have what you need before you know it. Just prioritize and buy the things you need last, last.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
71 super

On both of my restorations, I simply start buying new pieces and stock piling them. I do it in sections, i.e brakes/frame, a/c, interior, chrome, tires, etc. Instead of creating a set time for it to be finished, I just mark off like a punch list on a house. Once I get everything collected, I start sub assemblies and group the things together as they install, then it goes to paint and when it is finished I can reassemble quickly and easily. My formula is not a good one for budget, but I have found that if I buy in segments and check off, I don't run into the oh no I need this or that. The other down side is my projects tend to take much longer than some because of the collection process. The one thing I will say about cost is this, buy good parts to begin with, because buying parts twice (1 for bad, 1 for good) will kill your budget in a hurry. With my way, do it as you have extra and in small amounts and it won't seem like it is as much.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
big_al_71

Whatever you budget is at the beginning ad another 25% on the low side if not 40% from the get go. This has happened to me with every single car I have redone. Here is what happens you think you are going to reuse a part then you see how bad it looks when reinstalling and say I am not putting that old part that on...

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Beuford

It never fails. All the little things you find after your into it and decide well I might as fix that while its out and so on and so on until you look at the total. When you finally drive it you won't mind all the time and money you spent because it will be better than new. It just takes alot to get there.
Beuford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
Gene

I'm already in skimp mode, looking at the trim I took off i'm leaning towards re-using it with new woodgrain tape. Gonna re-use the side markers(after a good cleaining) I've bought every wiring harness but the dash, and looking at it closer I cant find any cracked insulation so it will stay. I will not skimp on important items, I went all out on the chassis, all new lines brake, fuel, wiring. New bushings all around. Going to re-use the brake booster and master cyl. It just sure is disheartening that I thought I budgeted enough money to replace everything but now i'm seeing that i'm miles from completing this truck.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
71blksuper4x4
SWB 4x4 Collector

Don't give up Gene. I am on my 2nd rebuild of "The Bluedress" and they are never perfect. You always find things you want to upgrade and this and that. I would just say to get it where it's driveable, and then upgrade when funding become available. Trevor
1971 Cheyenne Super 4x4 swb (tilt,tach,buckets, original blue shoulder belts,am/fm,cruise,tow hooks, dealer 8 track)
1972 Cheyenne Super K20 4x4 Custom Camper (tilt, tach, am/fm, tow hooks, bed toolbox, aux gas tank
1972 Cheyenne Super Crew Cab K30 4x4 Duramax, Allison, np205, buckets, tow hooks (CURRENT PROJECT)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624819
1989 V3500 Crew Cab (454tbi, NV4500, np205)
1970 Chevelle SS (LS5 454,th400,8track,buckets,tach)
:2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (daily driver)

WTB: 1968-70 Cruise Control Lever
71blksuper4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

I found it was all the little things that were killing me...

Oil filter, air filter, oil, spark plugs, spark plug wires, hoses, wires, more spark plug wires, bolts, coolant, more oil, another oil filter, fire extinguisher, more spark plug wires...
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
heyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 View Post
I would just say to get it where it's driveable, and then upgrade when funding become available. Trevor
True that!
"Mission Creep" is a constant threat.

Last edited by heyjoe; 01-11-2010 at 08:17 PM.
heyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
Daves72'GMC

Smile Re: Frame off frustration!!

Alot of work, time and money and patience to do the job right, but it was worth it when your done, and drive that pride of joy , but I'm getting too old to do it again and the arthritis is setting in , so there's not much I can do any more. Thats the only reason why I'm selling mine. Otherwise I'd keep it. Good luck with your prodject.
Daves72'GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #13
stepside fan

Welcome to the real world. A good quality restoration always ends up costing MUCH more than anticipated. And when you go to sell it, no one wants to give you any where near what it costs. Don't ask me how I know!
Attached Images

Last edited by stepside fan; 01-11-2010 at 08:27 PM.
stepside fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #14
extd56

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside fan View Post
Welcome to the real world. A good quality restoration always ends up costing MUCH more than anticipated. And when you go to sell it, no one wants to give you any where near what it costs. Don't ask me how I know!
Thats why I hate to sell my cars and why I have so many.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:32 AM   #15
tonypaul

This go around for me is going pretty good with the money, I think Im going to be only about $1500.00 to $2000.00 over on what I had figured. Mainly for a Vintage Air setup that I really didnt count on as I figured that I was going to just fix the stock a/c. I purchased every little thing I needed at first right down to the little gasket behind the door handle. A couple really good craigslist and ebay purchases and sales of extra items has really been what has saved my butt. My only issue is time..... Thats were the doubling should be for me. I thought I would be painting during x-mas. I still have mayby 20-30 hours more to go in prep before Im ready for paint, but I will get there....
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:04 AM   #16
Dynomutt

Budget?

Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446194
Dynomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 04:19 AM   #17
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

Patients, patients, patients... And saving.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #18
Sinisterspeed

this is all to familiar. Anymore, I choose to work on 1 vehicle at a time. No budget to buy what I can when I can and whenever it gets complete, I'll start on the other one. For me a budget never works unless its one big purchase (suspension kit, or wheels/tires etc) if its one thing I can usually search my butt off or wheel and deal to get what I want close enough to the expected amount that I am happy. But as you said. All the little things is what kills ya. So I try not to think about it and just assume I will figure out what I need when I get there.

I have had friends complete their trucks faster. Hell one even completed his, totaled it, and sold me the drive train. That saved em alot but to this day all 3 of the guys I know that started around the time I did still come by drool all over mine and keep bugging me to hurry up.

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #19
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

You got further than me... lol... I'll be able to finish the rolling chassis with what I have on hand but I can't see past that point right now.

Heck.. I have a pickup and don't even own a bed (not even a bad one!) lol
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #20
Ackattack

I didn't really have a budget on mine, but gave myself a montly allowance, so it would take as long as it needed in order to get that money. So over the last 2-1/2 years I've used that money for a lot of stuff, sold my 72 GMC and a 98 T/A (bought and sold and profitted $1500 ). Then I dipped into savings for the paint.

If I had a big pot of money to start with it would not have taken nearly as long. Right now I think I have everything bought to make it a driver and have ~$1500 for interior stuff (already have seats, dash, A/C and a few other little things) I'm holding onto that for now to make sure it drives. I figure I can drive it without a stereo/carpet/whatever....rather than having a carpetted truck that doesn't drive.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote