The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #26
bumslie75

Re: Look what i got for free

Haha they do when i bought new head lights and i think stuff to change the oil they were i dont understand what year is your truck
Old 02-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #27
JohnC

Yeah my uncle builds street rods, and he really blows their minds when he goes in there for something. They want to know what it goes on, and he tells them it doesn't matter. They tell him that's the only way they can look it up. So he says ok it's going in a 33 Dodge. He had one guy look at him and say. "Dodge's didn't come with a 350 Chevrolet engine." I think he really enjoys going in and messing with the young guys.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #28
qu1cks1lver56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
It's really only confusing for the guys behind the counter. You know exactly what you need. You start throwing them different years, and they will go into lockdown mode.
haha yeah. they always look at me weird when i get a filter for a 92. and they really were asking questions when i was coming in for a 92 water pump, pulleys and belt.
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #29
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs up Re: Look what i got for free

When you pull this set up off, there are several studs that go through the aluminum castings and thread into the heads and you will need to remove and reuse them as well.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:47 PM   #30
qu1cks1lver56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 STEPPER View Post
When you pull this set up off, there are several studs that go through the aluminum castings and thread into the heads and you will need to remove and reuse them as well.
x2 I forgot to say that. I used most of them, but used bolts in place of some of them.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #31
spinem
haha, ford guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Bob View Post
Serpentine belts ride on the pulleys, v belts ride down in the pulleys. = less rolling resistance.
okay, so that little groove is less than that of 7 contact points on the serp.?

take the surface area of the (V) and lay it out... (__) you should have almost the same surface contact area if not a little less with the v, so contact force theory is false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nechevy View Post
You have one belt driving all the accessories vs 1 per accessory. Tension is also less on a serpentine with less drag on the mechanical force of the crank.
exactly my point, i have 2 belts, (vbelts) that go crank-alt/water, crank-pwrstr.
vs
crank-powerstrn,waterpump,alt,tensioner bering, roller bering, ac....so im confused, serp has to turn +2berings and ac... and v belt dose not.???
how dose adding mass and friction=more power?

even if it under drove all the accessories you could only gain a max of 3hp if even, and thats giving your not under-driving the alt.... under-driving the alt will actually cause more problems and loss in power.

plus serp belts are more $$$!!!
spinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #32
joe231

the serp set ups are just plain cool, automatic belt tension, can be had cheaply from the bone yard, much easier to swap the belt, and I have never had a problem with belt squeal or slipping. Over or under tightening a v-belt can cause a whole slew of issues
Old 02-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #33
qu1cks1lver56

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
the serp set ups are just plain cool, automatic belt tension, can be had cheaply from the bone yard, much easier to swap the belt, and I have never had a problem with belt squeal or slipping. Over or under tightening a v-belt can cause a whole slew of issues
x2
Old 02-06-2010, 01:29 AM   #34
bumslie75

ya one of my belts always made noise i hated it made cheap and it dont help they way its looking right now I'm in an Auto-body class so my truck is all tore apart heres some pics of it now and some of a few trucks in class
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #35
85 c-10

If you want to you can make the tensioner pull in the opposite direction, ditch the A/C compressor, and move the alternator to the smog pump location. I did this on my Camaro years ago.
Attached Images

85 c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #36
bumslie75

could i still use my ac cause it gets like 112 here in the summer
Old 02-07-2010, 02:11 AM   #37
85 c-10

Well, you better leave the setup as it is then. You could mov ethe alternator still and re-route the belt, but it might be work work than benefit.

Josh
85 c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote