The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
rsb5772

2 motors/2 projects

I could use some opinions on what to do with 2 motors and projects I have.

I have a '72 Chevelle Malibu with the original 350/350 combo. I also have a '57 Chevy truck with the original inline 6/4 speed manual floor shift.

A friend gave me a BB454/th400, complete with all accessories and brackets, to put in my Chevelle. I believe it came out of a truck. The casting number only tells me that it was '78-'87. He also gave me a '73 4 door Nova with the same motor/trans as the Chevelle, to use the front clip in the truck.

Those were my original plans, but after some research, I'm thinking of building the small block for the car, that way there won't be any fitment issues with the brake booster, brackets/accessories, and driveshaft, and the big block in the truck.

Any thoughts? Both motors will be built to run on pump gas, and the truck will be more of a daily driver.

Any help is appreciated!
rsb5772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
NONHOG

Re: 2 motors/2 projects

I've had big block daily drivers in the past and loved them. Had to try real hard to get 14MPG but it was worth it.
How well they fit in your truck ? Some experts here could chime in on that.
Also is the six in bad shap ? People love them too ! Me being one of them.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
rsb5772

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
Had to try real hard to get 14MPG but it was worth it.

Also is the six in bad shap ?
I'm only getting about 11MPG in my 4X4 F-150 as it is, so I'm not worried about gas milage.

The six runs, but I've never been able to get the wiring and generator working correctly.

I figure, which ever motor I put in the truck, a driveshaft is going to have to be made, and I'm not positive, but I would think that the accessories and brackets that are on either motor will fit in the truck. I plan on doing some measuring this weekend on both.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

I'm pretty sure a 454/TH400 combo was an option in a '72 Chevelle so issues with that swap should be minimal.

I'd make the decision based on how I intended to use the two. If one is likely to be driven a lot or on trips, I'd probably think small block in that one, and if one is going to be just a toy that rarely goes very far, I'd be the big block in it.

Big blocks can be a lot of fun. I love being able to smoke the tires any time I get the urge. My inner-17-year-old is gray and wrinkled but still likes to play!
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
rsb5772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@OldSub.com View Post
I'm pretty sure a 454/TH400 combo was an option in a '72 Chevelle so issues with that swap should be minimal.

I'd make the decision based on how I intended to use the two. If one is likely to be driven a lot or on trips, I'd probably think small block in that one, and if one is going to be just a toy that rarely goes very far, I'd be the big block in it.

Big blocks can be a lot of fun. I love being able to smoke the tires any time I get the urge. My inner-17-year-old is gray and wrinkled but still likes to play!
That combo was an option and wouldn't be too bad. The only things that I know of, to do the swap, would be the drive shaft, motor mounts, and possibly something with the valve cover/brake booster clearance.

I would rather put the BB in the car, and the SB in the truck, but I was thinking about cost. I can't think of anything I would have to do different to the truck, for one motor or the other.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Plenty of big block Chevelle's so that swap should be a breeze...getting that motor in the '57 might be a bit more involved.

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken

Last edited by 68GMCCustom; 02-19-2010 at 10:18 PM.
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #7
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Motor mounts big block versus small block are usually the same. Are they different on the Chevelle? I would not expect valve cover/booster interference mostly because the 454 could be bought in that car from the factory.

My preference would probably be to put the big block in the truck, but as you make your decision I'd prefer you made it based on accurate information. I've never owned a big block car but have owned big block trucks and I love them!
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #8
NONHOG

I've put BB on SB mounts in a 66 Chevelle before. I'd bet it would be the same in a later Chevelle.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:47 AM   #9
rsb5772

Thanks for everyones opinions. I think I'm going to put the BB in the Chevelle and SB in the truck, like I had planned on doing in the first place.

I hope to have my own build thread here soon. Unfortunately, I'll have to take it to my work (chemical plant), and put it in an old parking lot. I don't have room to keep it at my house, so there will be many trips pushing it back and forth to the maintenance shop, at night and on weekends!

Last edited by rsb5772; 02-20-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
PDW HOTRODS

If the 350 in the car is numbers matching you should keep it so you can put it back in later, it will add value. The big block will go in with no other changes, its the 67-69 Camaro that has the clearance problems and needs mounts to move it 1 inch to the pass side.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
rsb5772

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDW HOTRODS View Post
If the 350 in the car is numbers matching you should keep it so you can put it back in later, it will add value. The big block will go in with no other changes, its the 67-69 Camaro that has the clearance problems and needs mounts to move it 1 inch to the pass side.

I am keeping the original 350 from the car. Thanks for the help. I have to put the big block in the car. It just seems right!