The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2003, 08:48 PM   #1
^No[z]

Few problems with my truck...

Now bear with me, I dont know much however if it is too complicated or delicate I will just take my truck to the shop but I would like to learn on my own...ok here we go.

First is my hazard lights (4 way flashers), its got the little push button on the column, well mine is broke, and about a month or so ago my belts came loose while drivin on the freeway so I had to turn them on, however I could not turn them off, I dont know why, so I had to pull out the flasher bulb, so I have no turn signals but brake lights still work.

How hard would it be to fix this, and what causes this? Also any instruction on how to fix it would be nice :p

Second is my A/C, the air itself is very nice ^_^, however the I dont have any air pressure coming out the far right vent and the driver side vent is very low pressure. Is there something that would be clogging it or something that I lack?

Third is my passenger side door, after I bought it as I pulled out of the guys driveway(about 10 ft wide with the wheels pointed outwards that I didnt notice) I smacked the side of the brick fence he had there and scratched the door pretty bad, but it also knocked it outta place for lack of a better definition, it doesnt sit right and doesnt close all the way. What controls how it sits and how do I adjust it?

almost done :p

I am probably sure most people with these old trucks have noticed, but when you travel freeway speeds the amount of air noise is great enough to drown out a conversation, I read somewhere that all I need is to replace the gaskets? Is that all I need?

ok last one for now

I dont think its normal, but when it shifts from 1st to 2nd it takes a while and shifts at a very high rpm, is that fine or should the timing be readjusted?

ok, enough newbie questions for now...thanks for any help
^No[z] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:22 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

for the hazzard lights ya gotta take apart the top part f the column easy enough change the switch
something could be cloging the vent or it could be disconnected stick your hand up there and check
as for the door ya may have bent the frame prolly easiest to change the door
and check chevy duty for the gaskets if your ein NY NJ area and need help drop a PM

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:41 PM   #3
82BlackBeast

Here's a link that one of the guys here gave me when I asked about breaking down the steering column....
http://home.t-online.de/home/O_Scholz/steering.html
hopefully it will help you to change out that hazard switch.

As for the wind noise, changing the window seals in the doors would probably help more than anything, but the vent windows are a bit of a pain. Just make sure you get a good set of GM seals if possible.

I'd take the ducting down for the vents and check that. Make sure you don't have something in there and that they are all connected good.

On the door, I guess it just depend on how hard you hit it. I haven't adjusted one so about the only thing I can say is to drop by a body shop and see if they can't help you out. I had a local shop adjust the one's on my old truck and it didn't seem to be a big deal to them, but then mine weren't banged up too bad.

'82 Chevy SWB
82BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:56 PM   #4
MSL

Quote:
I dont think its normal, but when it shifts from 1st to 2nd it takes a while and shifts at a very high rpm, is that fine or should the timing be readjusted?

Im assuming you have a automatic tranny. as for it taking awhile to shift. have you changed the fluid and filter or checked the fluid level.I doubt timing would be the problem also the tranny could be slipping that can cause the high rpm but thats usally from no fluid and or a bad tranny if the fluid has been changed and the filter try the modulator located on the back of the tranny passenger side. or take it in and have it checked out.
MSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 12:11 AM   #5
apstguy
LED King

The far right vent has a short flexable metal spring/plastic tubing. This is probably missing. Junkyard has them, but they smell. Go to GM and get another. Which driver side vent? Left or right? The left one has a tube that runs from it half way across the cab to the main system. Take that out (if your good you don't need to remove any screws - just wiggle it around a little) and clean it out.

1985 C10 305 w/ Bowtie OD TH700R4 3.42 LSD 202,000 miles
2006 Ford Focus ZX3 5-speed Stick
2016 Chevy Spark EV
Gone: 2002.5 VW GTI 24v VR6
Gone: 2008 VW R32
apstguy is offline   Reply With Quote