The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
Boise69
The Hammer Man

Re: Boss 338 Wheels **GROUP BUY**

are you serious or is this an april fools joke? come on man! now what? Can we just wait until they get the 18's retooled and how long will that be?

Since i have to get new hubs and rotors (6 lug to 5 lug) what should i buy to make these wheels fit? I'm basically starting from scratch to make hese wheels fit.

1969 Chevy C-10 SWB 350/400 - drivable project

www.americanhammer.com

2013 MBZ Sprinter customized
2005 MBZ Sprinter Van
2004 Land Rover Discovery
2001 Yamaha Road Star
1997 MBZ E420
1989 Ferrari Mondial T
Old 03-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boise69 View Post
are you serious or is this an april fools joke? come on man! now what? Can we just wait until they get the 18's retooled and how long will that be?

Since i have to get new hubs and rotors (6 lug to 5 lug) what should i buy to make these wheels fit? I'm basically starting from scratch to make these wheels fit.
To make the current 18s fit, you need the light-duty (1" thick) rotors up front, which require different spindles and calipers as well. If you're replacing this stuff anyway, it's no big deal -- just be sure of what you're ordering. Out back, there's no issue other than making sure your backspacing is correct, which may require spacers and will be an issue even after the new revision is out, since the only thing being changed is the hub bore.

'72 Chevy SWB stepside - [ Build Thread ]
'79 ChevMC SWB fleetside - [ Build Thread ]
'64 Chevy SWB fleetside & '66 Chevy SWB stepside (waiting in the wings...)
Old 03-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
Boise69
The Hammer Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossow View Post
To make the current 18s fit, you need the light-duty (1" thick) rotors up front, which require different spindles and calipers as well. If you're replacing this stuff anyway, it's no big deal -- just be sure of what you're ordering. Out back, there's no issue other than making sure your backspacing is correct, which may require spacers and will be an issue even after the new revision is out, since the only thing being changed is the hub bore.
Well i like having the option instead of being limited to one size but if i have to instead of not getting them at all i will, but if i wait since i'm not ready just yet, do you think this issue will be resolved in a month?

www.americanhammer.com

2005 MBZ Sprinter Van
2001 Yamaha Road Star
1997 MBZ E420
1989 Ferrari Mondial T
Old 03-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Well i like having the option instead of being limited to one size but if i have to instead of not getting them at all i will, but if i wait since i'm not ready just yet, do you think this issue will be resolved in a month?
It doesn't seem that even the manufacturer can give an ETA on these. Could be a week, could be a month, could be much longer. Considering that people have been throwing out dates since last fall that turned out to be wishful thinking, I wouldn't count on anything. I didn't even think about trying to get a group buy started until after it was confirmed that the revised wheels were shipping. At the time I only cared about grey 20s, which were in stock when I started this thread, but now I've decided on chrome 20s instead and I'm in the same boat as the 18" guys now. All we can do is wait.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
DrtyJack75

Quote:
Originally Posted by brossow View Post
yeah what he said...when I first ran into this problem I called ECE to see what they thought and they said I could take my drop spindles off and they could replace (uhhh shoot, whats that part called) the THING so they'd accept the 1" rotors but I didnt have a place to do the work and leave on jacks for a couple weeks so I held off....but it is an option. BUT back to what Brossow said, if your not done with the conversion none of this is even an issues...just plan acccordingly
Old 03-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
Boise69
The Hammer Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyJack75 View Post
if your not done with the conversion none of this is even an issues...just plan acccordingly
Alright, forgive my ignorance, but since i havent started the conversion from 6bolt to 5 and drums to rotors, youre saying just get the wheels i paid for as they are and get the spindles and rotors that will work with them ? Can you help me to know which will work with these wheels besides just 1" thick rotors?

a link with pictures would be great.

www.americanhammer.com

2005 MBZ Sprinter Van
2001 Yamaha Road Star
1997 MBZ E420
1989 Ferrari Mondial T
Old 03-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
brossow
Amateur Rust Fighter

Quote:
Alright, forgive my ignorance, but since i havent started the conversion from 6bolt to 5 and drums to rotors, youre saying just get the wheels i paid for as they are and get the spindles and rotors that will work with them ? Can you help me to know which will work with these wheels besides just 1" thick rotors?

I haven't done this personally, so I'll leave the details to someone who has. It's described in the original thread, IIRC. (Link to that thread is at the top of the first post in this thread.)

Old 03-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
DrtyJack75

Quote:

call the guys at Early Classic Enterprises (888.777.0395). I cant remember the guys name I spoke with. It wasnt Stan though....damn Im bad with names..
I didnt do it like I said because I didnt have a garage I could do the work and wait for them to be shipped back....but when I told them the issue, they didnt seem as if it were a problem.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
creep
Registered Loser

Can someone please tell me what the diameter and length (mounting surface to tip of dustcap) of a stock 1.25" rotor is? I converted my 63 GMC to 5 lug using an SSBC kit for a 75 Chevy and the hub looks huge to me. These new 338's are supposed to clear them, right?

'63 GMC lwb, 383, th350, lays frame, genuine patina.
The Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374267
'88 Astro cargo bagged, shaved, phantom grille. *SOLD*
'50 Chevy 2 door sedan awaiting attention.
2014 Silverado Ext cab, 5.3, daily driver.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:26 PM   #10
creep
Registered Loser

BTW I'm holding out untill the 22"x8.5" are released!

'63 GMC lwb, 383, th350, lays frame, genuine patina.
The Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374267
'88 Astro cargo bagged, shaved, phantom grille. *SOLD*
'50 Chevy 2 door sedan awaiting attention.
2014 Silverado Ext cab, 5.3, daily driver.
Closed Thread