The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #1
mdwilf

Your Opinion Please - 1/2 ton coils with air shocks or 3/4 ton leafs?

I do some towing - not every week, but several times a year I tow things on my dual axle trailer, and occasionally I haul some weight. I'd say the most I'd ever tow would be 6,000 or 7,000 pds, not counting the truck & trailer. But most of the time I drive my truck for pleasure.

I've never been happy with the way the 1/2 ton coils handled loads, even with HD shocks. I have a frame with 3/4 ton leafs from a 68 GMC I could use, or since the truck I just got has "Heavy Duty" 1/2 ton coils (visibly much stronger looking than regular coils) I've been thinking about spending the money for air shocks so I could have the added capacity when I need it. I guess a third alternative would be to keep the coil setup & make a set of overload springs.

I would appreciate your thoughts & experience.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
1-PU70

Re: Your Opinion Please - 1/2 ton coils with air shocks or 3/4 ton leafs?

well I have been down this road and and most the time I tow I have a load in the bed too. This is what I have done. I run a half ton with coils. There are 3/4 tone coils and HD 3/4 ton coils and progressive coils for the rear. I have tried them all. The progressive were the worst . They would really squat the rear with any kind of weight. The HD 3/4 ton sat a little bit lower with no load and road very rough with no load. The 3/4 ton where just right. I also added factory overload springs and coil over shocks. The truck rides very nice and tows and handles weight very well too. I tow a duel axle trailer with a car and the bed loaded with at least 1000 lbs. I have towed from FL to CA and back and was very comfortable with the handling and ability of the truck. Good luck
1970 CST/10 402,700R4,3:73 posi,AC,PS,PB,TLT,PW,Buckets with heaters
1-PU70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
mdwilf

Thanks for the input & experience. I don't have any experience with coilover shocks - any brands, part #s, etc to recommend or stay away from? I didn't know they were available for the old trucks.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
capev86

factory rear coil springs weight rating (per side)

1/2 ton: 1400lb, 2000lb

3/4 ton: 2000lb, 2750lb

as you can see the hd option coils on the 1/2 ton are essentially standard 3/4 ton springs. gm made it easy for us to upgrade and they should have been mandatory on the suburban and long wheel base pickups. i would not use 3/4ton HD option springs on a 1/2 ton. if you need that kind of capacity, go with a heavier duty truck with a tougher axle. i wouldn't even bother with a stock height 1/2 ton coils on anything 'cause i like the weight capacity for towing. the overload leaf's are neat, but the cleaner/lighter way to go is just get heavier duty springs. i just ordered a pair of 3/4 HD option coils for my 72 burb 3/4 ton. just hoping i don't lose any ride height as you mentioned....i want to keep the rake but also be super rugged for towing really big trailers in the future.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
1-PU70

Here are the shocks I use in the rear.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...&parentId=46-0
1970 CST/10 402,700R4,3:73 posi,AC,PS,PB,TLT,PW,Buckets with heaters
1-PU70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I've seen the lower shock mounts rip completely out of the plates a few times. Adding the load of air shocks to this would certainly add even more stress to a part that sometimes fails anyway.

Just an observation...