The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
1stchevy

Where do I start?

Getting ready to start my build and have no idea where to start. Any advice and input is greatly appreciated. I have a 1971 C-10 short fleetside that has rust and the motor doesn't run by the way.
1stchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
OARNGESI

Re: Where do I start?

if its a frame off id start there and suspension if its not id start geting it running and driveable
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
cdowns

i'd start by looking at your bank account.. figure out your budget . that way you have a realistic chance to finish it.
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Start with a plan...an intended goal. This includes not only the look of the truck but a realistic budget and time-table.
Garage/shop space?
Access the truck's needs
Decide what you can do yourself and what you may have to "sub-out" and budget accordingly.
Start with the "mechanicals":
Suspension/brakes
Engine/transmission/differential
Electrical
Body/rust repair
Paint/interior

Some of these overlap at least a little, some may not get much attention, depending upon the level of this project.

Give us a little more info about your intent and condition of the truck....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
Leviticus
Shake and Bake!

Start with an ice cold beer, sit back look it all over then do what Longhair said

Keep us posted on the progress, we like pics around these parts!

"You are remembered for the rules you break."
General Douglas MacArthur

"Support Our Troops And The NRA"
Leviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
handsomerob

My best advice is to take your plan/timeline/budget and then double the expected budget, and triple the timeline. There will always be hidden costs and things always take longer then expected. Oh and have fun with it otherwise you will dread workin on it.
handsomerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Get it running and driving with the mechanicals all done first. This way you get a "half time" break to enjoy driving the truck awhile before finishing the second half of the resto of appearance and interior. That will keep you from getting bogged down.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Second that. Get it running and drive it a bit. What if you hate it (like that's gonna happen)?

Are you planning to spend $3k, $30k, or something in between on it to give people an idea of what your plans are?
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:56 PM   #9
70cst

These are all great suggestions.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:07 AM   #10
1stchevy

Guys I really appreciate all the suggestions thats why I love this site. I'm planning on spending $15,000-$20,000 and doing things right the first time around. I'm not getting in any hurry doing things so they will be done right the first time around. The truck does not run at the present time and has some rust issues, but $500 for a 1971 short fleet I couldn't pass it up with the availability of parts for these trucks. Thanks for all your help so far I'm sure I'll have to lean on you all throughout my build.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:30 AM   #11
Diablo de la Noche

Take plenty of photos. I have a 67 small window GMC longbed fleetside. I took tons of pictures, but sometimes the part I need to reference isn't in any of my pics, or is barely visible. My suggestion is to break your truck into sections (mentally) and take overlapping pics every 2 feet. Try to get each section from 3 or 4 different angles with offset lighting so you can see how things set. With the camera's flash, it tends to flatten everything and you can't see what is in front of what. Save the pics in different files (suspension, trans, engine, etc.) This way, you can reference the pics if you don't remember how things looked when you pulled them off last year.

I read on here that someone pulls the bolts off and stores them in paper bags and marks the bags with a sharpie. Good idea.

Research parts suppliers and make a hyperlink file with notes in your computer for reference. Some suppliers might have a kit for something for X dollars, and another supplier will have a more complete kit for less dollars.

Visit junk yards for larger, restorable parts.

Visit this site daily and use the search function before asking questions, it might get you an answer quicker. (And read the rules, some people get peeved for something you don't realize you did wrong. It keeps the bad post-ers at bay)
Old 04-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
1stchevy

Thanks Diablo very good advice. I'm pretty sure I am gonna pull the motor and start on the front suspension and brakes first. Then the rear suspension and brakes and from there do an engine rebuild. Then work on the body and interior.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Diablo de la Noche

Yeah, I got all ADD on mine and started stipping everything off before knowing what I was doing. Now it looks all ugly in my garage with a bed full of parts in no particular order. I had high hopes of doing a frame off, albeit only 6 inches off the frame (space constraints) and realized I don't have the patience, money, or time to do that. I chose to do the interior first because I had all the tools to do it. Now it's almost ready to reassemble. Just put $500 into all new gauges (equus and autometer). And now that I have all the tools to do it, I will be pulling the engine and cleaning/stripping/rebuilding that. Thank you harbor freight! I will let everyone know how well the hoist and engine stand work. I'll post pix soon.

Once you get a little work done on your truck, start a build thread. People love the photos and if you take a wrong turn, they will let you know before it is too late.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
Trigger200

Great thread and a great forum! Just brought home my new project last weekend. Hoping to post an introduction thread with a bunch of pictures soon!
Trigger200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:24 AM   #15
Diablo de la Noche

Oh, something I forgot to mention. A lot of suppliers have a short warrantee period. I like to buy the parts just before I need them, this way if they are messed up or are missing something, they are still under waranty. If you are building the truck thanks to visa or mastercard, remember that the interest is compounding. If you buy a part or a bunch of parts and let them sit for a month or a year before putting them on, they get more and more expensive.

And, have a plan. If you have a tank in the cab and buy the sending unit, then change your mind and go for the tank in the rear, you spent $40 for a part you can't use. But, be prepared to change directions. Something might seem like a good idea after a couple beers, or when your buddy gives you a cool part. It might not work out or might look silly. Keep your options open. (my 2 more cents)

Last edited by Diablo de la Noche; 04-19-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Diablo de la Noche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #16
1stchevy

All great advice from you guys. I figured why not ask the people who have been where I am now. This board is the best one on the net hands down.