The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
fredscarryall

1947 to 1953 gmc to chevrolet front sheet metal swap

im new to the site .i have a 1950 gmc carryall and i had it at my friends shop.he was doing me a favor and was sandblasting it. when i went to move it the brakes went out and the front end ran into a forklift. my friend has a couple of same year chevy trucks that he is willing to give me the sheet metal off of. what do i need to swap the crashed gmc sheet metal to chevrolet. most of you may think im crazy. but i had a heart transplant 6 years ago and moneys pretty tight. i know i at least know i need both front fenders,grille,hood and gravel guard and the piece of sheet metal in front of the radaitor that has the hood opening latch. but i dont know about the radaitor or anything else?has anyone done this? any help is appricaited
fredscarryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
1ATony

Re: 1947 to 1953 gmc to chevrolet front sheet metal swap

welcome to the site.
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
mr48chev

Re: 1947 to 1953 gmc to chevrolet front sheet metal swap

Welcome to the board. I think you might need the front cross member from a Chevrolet frame but you might get by with using the GMC core support with the Chevrolet nose.
The big difference outside of the grill and hood is the core support and radiator. The top tank on the GMC radiator is different than a Chevrolet but you may be able to make it work.

I'm using a GMC frame for the rebuild on my 48 Chev pickup right now but was intending to swap cross members so I haven't fully investigated using a GMC core support or at least most of one. Other than that obstacle it's pretty much a bolt on.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote