The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
AlaskaMatt

Source for stock 4x4 springs? 71 blazer

Looking for a good source for a set of front and rear stock height springs.

too many problems with my lift kit, it's time to go stock with some zero rates.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

My Website
AlaskaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
BLUE THUNDER

Re: Source for stock 4x4 springs? 71 blazer

What probs are you having? I'd love to see more pics of your Blazer. I'll keep an eye out for stock springs.
BLUE THUNDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
AlaskaMatt

It just doesn't handle well. Lots of body sway and roll. My bushings are shot which I am sure is a major cause. I need to replace all the bushing and if I am going to have it that far torn down I might as well change out the springs. I have wanted to bring it down to about a 2 inch lift since I bought it and now think I would rather get back to stock height plus a zero rate in the rear for some leveling. I have replaced and repaired the entire front end trying to get it to drive decently. The front end is tight now, but it still rides like an out of control brick. My wife (and me at times) is terrified to drive it. It's my DD and I need it be a better all around truck.

It has a 4'' lift with springs front and back plus a 4 inch block in the rear. I suspect the block was added after the initial lift because the back looked saggy.
I have 10 inches on the tape measure between the top of the tire and the outer fender on the front, I didn't measure the back.

EDIT: Looks like 12" inches in the back.

A couple of pics for you.

At work one day. I guess I didn't get the "buy a new black tahoe" memo.

Matt

My Website

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 07-14-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
BLUE THUNDER

I have a 4" lift and 33's and experienced something similar. The culprit, the u bolts in the front were loose and the spring pack wld slide along the perch until there was no more room. Scarry. I tightened them up and immediately noticed a big diff. Your rig looks great. Alaska is so beautiful. Def provides a great backdrop the pics. Btw, how does the blazer do in the snow?
Old 07-12-2010, 11:30 PM   #5
AlaskaMatt

OK now that is scary! I am going to go check them now even though I know they are tight.

The blazer is actually great in the snow. I do run pizza cutters though and that helps greatly. Wide tires on snow and ice are just begging for the slip and slide. On bare ice the blazer can be a little interesting but so is everything.

Matt

My Website
Old 07-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
BLUE THUNDER

How are the brakes? Steering? I noticedthat it is higher in the back. what block are you using? Here's mine. Yours is cooler with the jerry can holder and Alaska.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
AlaskaMatt

brakes are good, just had them redone last week. Steering is really pretty darn good too.
Really it's just short wheel base with too much suspension height to wiggle around on. I don't know what brand of block but I am sure it's part of a skylift or one of the typical kits.

The swing out gate and can holders are a mixed bag. I am working on a redesign that I hope to fab up this winter. Same concept but in a more modular design so I can pull them off when not in use.

BTW I love the the color of yours, but just can't sell the wife on it.

Matt

My Website

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 07-12-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
BLUE THUNDER

I don't know, I tow my boat with mine and it handles really well. Hmmmm......
Old 07-13-2010, 12:15 AM   #9
AlaskaMatt

Yeah I have many people tell me their 4 inch lifts handle great. Mine just doesn't and the mechanics etc I have jump in and ride along agree. Something is out of whack.

Matt

My Website
Old 07-13-2010, 12:49 AM   #10
mstrav1973

Is the rear to high or are your front springs sagging? Another thing that causes these trucks to wander is the lack of a sway bar in the front. a nice and fairly cheap improvement is a steering stabalizer to dampen some of that movement as well. No matter if you go back to stock or not these trucks will not handle like the newer stuff and not many of our spouses like to drive them for whatever reason.

Enjoy,

Matt
Old 07-13-2010, 01:31 AM   #11
AlaskaMatt

I do think the rear is too high. The front still have a positive arch and I don't think they have sagged. A sway bar would be nice! Most of my movement seems to come from the rear. You can feel it swing around like it's hinged at the top of the spring mounts.

There are other reasons for bringing it down to stock or a milder lift, both handling and comfort. It will always ride like a "truck" but safe and stable should be attainable.

My wife doesn't have to like it, just not white faced and sweating after running down the highway!

Matt

My Website
Old 07-13-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
BLUE THUNDER

I think if you have done all that I wld swap out the bushings in the leaf packs prior to ditching the lift. Maybe your stock rear springs are the problem too. They could be twisted or misaligned with eachother. Maybe the pin that holds them together has sheared? Just trouble shooting.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Replacement springs are available at most auto parts stores. They might have to bring them in from a warehouse, but they are available. I just checked rockauto.com and they have them for $144.89 each rear and $226.79 each for front.

I think replacing the spring bushings and checking the condition of the shackles is where I'd start though. 4" of lift isn't that much and should not cause it to feel dangerous.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
Jtrux
I'm a poor spectator

Here's my story and maybe you can relate:

I had the rearend in my blazer go out and since I had never done that sort of thing before I wanted to give it a shot. It looked like a huge PITA to lay under trying to set the gears so I pulled the whole axle out and put it on some jackstands to set the gears up. Anyways, gear swap went well and I put the axle back under the truck and go it all buttoned up except for the shocks. I wanted to replace the shocks with new ones since the old ones were junk so I decided to drive it to work w/o rear shocks and pick some up on the way home the next day.

I noticed at first it was a pretty boat like ride but once I got on the highway and picked up some speed it got worse but it wasn't until I started making a sorta sharp turn at speed that it got really bad, the road had some good bumps and as I made the turn the back end started to bounce and actually caught air!! It was scary as hell and obviously I shouldn't have ever driven it in that condition but I did and I definitely learned my lesson.

So what i'm trying to ask is are you sure your shocks aren't junk? After my experience, it sounds like it's possible from what you're saying.

1993 Chevy 2500 4x4 ExCab LWB 454/NV4500 Tow rig

1977 Ford F100 2x4 LWB 1st truck I owned, still have it!!!

1979 Ford F150 4x4 SWB Built Ford Tough!!!

1971 Chevy Blazer 350 / SM465 / NP205 UNDER CONSTRUCTION Soon to have a LQ4 6.0!!!
Jtrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #15
AlaskaMatt

Yeah that's scary! Not sure at all. They may be junk, however they are stiff as hell... so who knows. My bushings are definitely shot and I may start there and see what happens. $100 for bushings or a grand for new springs. Bushings sound pretty good.

Matt

My Website
Old 07-15-2010, 02:12 PM   #16
lgdpt

Wish you were closer to me, I have some stock rears I could give you.
lgdpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #17
AlaskaMatt

Hey thanks, I am 90% ready to pull the trigger on a 2.5" skyjacker set of springs (all around springs no blocks) as they are much easier to get here. That I know my 33's will clear no problem.

Hopefully the ride is improved and the handling issues dealt with. I am thinking I will go with adjustable shocks in the rear so I can crank them down to tow my little camp trailer (12 ft).

Matt

My Website
Old 07-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #18
tek707
Ready, Set, Off-Road!

Hi Matt,

Were you able to resolve the suspension issue?

I just bought a 72 Blazer with the identical problem as yours and similar suspension. Mine also has a 4inch lift with rear blocks and busted bushings. The only difference is that I already changed the body bushings and the shocks which improved the ride but it still feels loose.

Thanks,

Mario
tek707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #19
vectorit
What?

One thing to consider if you are still trying to figure out what to do about the springs...

Find a tractor truck brake and suspension garage, they make new spring packs for the big trucks all day long. Being that my burb has springs no one makes anymore, I took it to one of those and they made up a really nice set of four for me. Plus, being that the suspensions are their gig they should be able to figure out right away what may be amiss with your set up.

Good luck!
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
AlaskaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek707 View Post
Hi Matt,

Were you able to resolve the suspension issue?

I just bought a 72 Blazer with the identical problem as yours and similar suspension. Mine also has a 4inch lift with rear blocks and busted bushings. The only difference is that I already changed the body bushings and the shocks which improved the ride but it still feels loose.

Thanks,

Mario
I should be fixed this coming week. Waiting on parts. One definite drawback to living here, everything gets shipped and often the slow way.

If you have been through the suspension I would focus on the front end. I would be more concerned about mine but the entire front end was replaced and repaired a year ago and it's still very tight upon inspection.

I am pretty sure my issues are "rear wheel steering" induced by the overtall springs blocks and shot bushings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
One thing to consider if you are still trying to figure out what to do about the springs...

Find a tractor truck brake and suspension garage, they make new spring packs for the big trucks all day long. Being that my burb has springs no one makes anymore, I took it to one of those and they made up a really nice set of four for me. Plus, being that the suspensions are their gig they should be able to figure out right away what may be amiss with your set up.

Good luck!
I did go to a custom spring shop (the only one up here) where I thought they would do that. While they did a good job understanding what I needed and with the inspection, in the end they were simply ordering springs from somewhere. The price was far too high, and not the "custom" job I would have expected for the premium price. They really killed the deal when they were going to be a month to six weeks out to do the job.

At another shop they quoted me a 2.5/4 all spring skyjacker installed for $500 less and they would have the parts in two weeks. Much better. So I put a deposit down and they should be in next week.

Matt

My Website

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 07-31-2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:32 PM   #21
AlaskaMatt

So here is the old.

Here is now

It doesn't look like much change in the photo, but it really did drop it down to a more reasonable level. Mostly in the rear. The front came down some too, and I will be swapping the pitman arm back to the original as the raised arm is now too high. Bushings are all replaced and that helped a great deal. The skyjackers ride very nicely compared to what was in there. I checked the body mounts and they appear to be fine, so I rule them out as a handling issue.

It's driving MUCH better. Not as well as I would like, but certainly acceptable. I am going to continue to fuss with it until it handles how I want it to. At this point I am simply venturing into "want" territory not "need".

Next step is a steering stabilizer and a set of roadmasters.

Matt

My Website
Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #22
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Just saw this -- nice looking Blazer! I think you'll be happy with that suspension. I have the same front springs on my K20, never did use the rear blocks, but I have rear AAL so it sits nearly level. In fact, it looks similar to the way your Blazer sits, nose up just a hair.

In case you need shocks (and didn't already know this), standard rear shocks work well on the front with 2.5" springs. My stock front shocks were too short.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #23
my90k5
72 K/5 Junkie

Looks a lot better I think, with the 2.5's. Good match for the 33's
Old 08-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #24
AlaskaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Just saw this -- nice looking Blazer! I think you'll be happy with that suspension. I have the same front springs on my K20, never did use the rear blocks, but I have rear AAL so it sits nearly level. In fact, it looks similar to the way your Blazer sits, nose up just a hair.

In case you need shocks (and didn't already know this), standard rear shocks work well on the front with 2.5" springs. My stock front shocks were too short.
Thanks for the tip. New shocks were part of the package, but I will keep that in mind for the future. As to the nose up, I am very glad I did a 4'' spring lift in the rear to with the 2.5 up front. Like you noticed it's still slightly nose high even with the bigger lift out back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my90k5 View Post
Looks a lot better I think, with the 2.5's. Good match for the 33's
I thought so too. Now the 33's look just right.

Matt

My Website

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 08-07-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:37 AM   #25
AlaskaMatt

Just a quick update. The steering stabilizer was the missing ingredient. Man it drives sooo nice now.

Matt

My Website