The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
Highlander2

1st Roadtrip-2066 miles!

My wife and I and 2-year old toddler just got back from picking up our dream truck from Oregon. We've looked for quite awhile for an original, un modified 1972 3/4 T long bed w/Highlander package. We flew into Boise Id as the truck was in Ontario, Oregon, about 60 miles away. It's a runner w/ original paint(except for drivers door), refreshed interior 2WD 3/4t in Red/Orange. The Highlander interior is long gone, replaced with decent black door panels and seat covers but we'll go back to original Orange Highlander plaid from SMS and white door panels. We will need white seatbelts and probably have to source used as I have not seen white available anywhere. We drove across the entire state of Oregon to the Pacific Coast, then down the coast camping along the way ending up at our home in Palm Springs, CA. The only glitch mechanically was the rh side exhaust manifold cracked in half on the down exit. We paid too much for the new part, being on the road, but all went smooth after replacing it. We have the original but rebuilt 350 sm block and got between 12 and 14.5 mpg.
The truck was a dream on the road traversing some 10,000 ft mountain roads that were clearly 4WD roads. Our 2WD 72' did an amazing job climbing steep rocky sections like they were play. We love our truck and look forward to becoming regulars on this site as we bring this truck back to it's original state. Thanks for a great site!
Attached Images

Highlander2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: 1st Roadtrip-2066 miles!

Welcome! Cool story, cool truck and cool family to do that together
Old 08-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
Alvin
Never Done?

Re: 1st Roadtrip-2066 miles!

Very cool! I'm hoping to make a big trip with my truck some day... But gas will probably be too expensive by then!

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote