The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
RuralRoute C-30

Couple of non-oem options installed

Well it is nearing time for that 6 month trip to the safety lane. When I bought this 6 months ago I was told then to make some minor changes or don't even think about passing the next time. Here are the couple of 'changes' I made that in my opinion exceed any original oem options offered in 1985 for this truck.

The horn didn't work when I bought it so in this rush to get it inspected I decided to wire-tie a temporary Autozone horn button to the column for the first inspection. It passed but looked like crap so I took it off. Later I did take the oem horn assembly apart. I've chosen to relocate the optional button.

Not the least, but the other 'minor problem' that had to be fixed before this inspection was the lack of "adequate" back-up lights.They didn't work. Rarely do I even think about back-up lights since I hate driving at night and avoid it if possible...but the law does "think about it", as I discovered, so I was reminded too.

Actually I did spend the time and got the ones built into the tail lights to work on a switch this week but they were worthless for me to see anything "safely". So I optioned for some new ones and came up with the idea for these. Overkill? Maybe...but with these engaged what's behind me is clear as day now.

Yes, there is nothing like having your vehicle be run through a safety lane only to be reminded of the "letter of the law".

So following a break from the clutch job, does it ever end?, it was time to tackle the horn and the back-up lights this week. Finally finished this evening, easily done, just time to do it and material.

Anyway, just some pics and yes I relocated the horn to the floor because, at least for me, my first reaction when I want a horn, either as a driver or a passenger, is usually to put my left foot to the floor! Learned that reaction when I taught my kids to drive!

The lights are actually mini fog lights from Advanced Auto. Being older my night eyes are not what they used to be. These do the trick. For the amount of heat they produce they could melt ice if they were mounted any lower!

Added the illuminated switch so there is no way I'll miss them being on even in the daytime. Minor adjustments in the beams still being worked out but at least now these are what I call "back-up lights":

Anyway, just sharing some non-oem options I added this week that should clear me through the safety lane this month. At least this project was a lot easier than replacing that clutch!

Always enjoy reading the forum!

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 08-16-2010 at 12:26 AM.
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
nbpro
Account Suspended

Re: Couple of non-oem options installed

thanks 4 sharing
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
irishman999

I like those backup lights! It never ends with these trucks.
irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

nice work! im prolly going to add additional lights under ine for nighttime backing

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
87GMCChris

So i understand it that you have a safty inspection twice a year.... Here in ontario, you have to do one when you transfer names. Thats it. And stated from the goverment its only good for 30 days. But you never have to re-do it again... unless someone buys it.

I only drive truck 6 months a year... Dam Canadian winters.
87GMCChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
RuralRoute C-30

In the 'states' the law for safety inspections vary state to state. Here in Illinois it is subject to the truck's weight capacity and type of license plate.

A 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck has a 'B' tag, no inspection. Even the 1-ton could be tagged as a 'B' truck and not need inspected but it would restrict it to a weight limit far below its capability. Yet if you want the functionality the 1-ton was designed for to carry weight then, in Illinois, it is tagged with a 'D' plate and carries that wonderful "government incentive package" that requires a trip through the safety lane twice a year. (government regulations by state)

Actually I had the opportunity this afternoon to take it through "the lane". Passed 100%! The old timer, known to be gruff by many, actually smiled when done and commented how he liked the older squares!

As always, enjoyed the trip and always the destination. This particular safety lane, about 30 miles away, is like a garage from another time locked in the 50's early 60's in the heartland of the midwest. One stop sign, a grain elevator and this garage is the town! Always a pleasant journey 'back to a simpler time' so to speak...not many places left like this.

Mark

Next inspection; sometime before the end of February. Wonder what will be new or replaced by then!

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote