The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2010, 03:48 AM   #26
jake wells
Account Suspended

Re: Shop Heat?

Cannon Heater No#20 potbelly wood stove starts on wood then i drip used oil on the fire to keep the stove hot.

ME NO LIKEY STIFFS IN GERAGE IN KOLD WINTER
FINGER HE HURT
jake wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 PM   #27
brans72

heat pump was on garage when I bought the house and same unit is on the house.
brans72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #28
SweetandLong68
Your UncleBen

Here is my shop heat. We run it on the lowest setting and it keeps it a nice 60 something degrees in the shop which is perfect when you are working on stuff. It can make it crazy hot if you want too! hahah

I know it is decieving to look at but it is killer! Powered by propane. Shop is 20x40 10 foot ceilings

lata
CHRIS
Old 10-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #29
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Kind of depends on how well the shop is insulated. I did all the interior walls and insulating in my shop. Walls are 2x6's with full insulation on all walls and the ceiling. Windows are modern type used in home construction and doors are all insulated.

My Shop is 20' x 40' and has a 14 foot ceiling height. I have a 220V electric heater http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_595_595 and a ceiling fan.

As long as the temperature outside is above 20 degrees it works just fine. If it gets below 20 outside I use my salamander style kerosene heater to get things warm, then use the electric to keep it there.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by lakeroadster; 10-04-2010 at 08:32 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #30
SweetandLong68
Your UncleBen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Kind of depends on how well the shop is insulated. I did all the interior walls and insulating in my shop. Walls are 2x6's with full insulation on all walls and the ceiling. Windows are modern type used in home construction and doors are all insulated.

My Shop is 20' x 40' and has a 14 foot ceiling height. I have a 220V electric heater http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_595_595 and a ceiling fan.

As long as the temperature outside is above 20 degrees it works just fine. If it gets below 20 outside I use my salamander style kerosene heater to get things warm, then use the electric to keep it there.

Hope this helps!
I totally agree. This shop was insulated very well. I personally insulated all the walls and then a friend of ours blew in insulation in the ceiling. All the doors are insulated and there are no windows. You make a good point.

Also it hardly gets much below 20 degree for very long at the shop so we dont have to have much to keep it warm!

lata
CHRIS
Old 10-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #31
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetandLong68 View Post
Here is my shop heat. We run it on the lowest setting and it keeps it a nice 60 something degrees in the shop which is perfect when you are working on stuff. It can make it crazy hot if you want too! hahah

I know it is decieving to look at but it is killer! Powered by propane. Shop is 20x40 10 foot ceilings

lata
CHRIS
I use this same heater and I like it a lot,, great for spot heating. I have a 40 x 50 shop with 20 ft ceiling so it does take a while to warm up the place. One tip,, don't point it at your motion sensor and trun on the alram. It really freaks out the system
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #32
SweetandLong68
Your UncleBen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
I use this same heater and I like it a lot,, great for spot heating. I have a 40 x 50 shop with 20 ft ceiling so it does take a while to warm up the place. One tip,, don't point it at your motion sensor and trun on the alram. It really freaks out the system
I hear you there! That is a big shop for that heater!! HEhe I was worried about it being to small for my shop but I was completely suprised. It does a great job for sure. I never had to worry about the motor sensor on an alarm system in my shop but that sounds like it coulda made for some fun times!

lata
CHRIS
Old 10-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #33
50mercfan

i've got the dayton g73. 30x30x9. insulated. works great takes up no floor space.
50mercfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:42 PM   #34
RuralRoute C-30

In the early 90's I built this shed and experimented with the concept of solar as a source of heat. Entire south wall is clear 'filon'. Works as it should when the sun shines. Always 40+ degrees warmer than any outside air temperature in the winter, providing the sun is shining! Typical sunny day in January is not uncommon to have natural heat at a steady 70 degrees.

Granted it only takes about 2 hours to drop into the 50's once that sun is gone. Yet there is enough "mass" that retains heat and in 20 years plus it has yet to drop below freezing. (it has sat at 32 degrees when bitter cold) Ordinarily temps usually settle into the low 40's at night as a bottom temp in the winter. Still workable temps though for me if dressed for it.

Shop room inside the shed, wife calls it the "man cave", does come equipped with a wall mounted infra-red propane heater for those cloudy days. Sun doesn't shine everyday! Super insulated that room with 2x6 stud walls which was well worth the effort.

The older I get the more I hate the cold though. Yet for anyone thinking about it, solar does work if you can apply it to your space. Free heat and free daytime light.

Good luck with the choices. This is just another way to add some free heat when possible.

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #35
chris mc bride

right now Ive been downsized to a 20 by 25 garage and will be using kerosen heater this year hopefully befor next year we will have cash to start new shop its 50 by 100 wil have woodstove and gas heaters. Hopefully woodstove will help keep gas bill down.Plan to insulate fully. See as I live in shop and sleep at house,figure it needs to be comfortable.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #36
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralRoute C-30 View Post
In the early 90's I built this shed and experimented with the concept of solar as a source of heat.
Mark
Interesting... what do you do in the warm weather months, is their some type of cover you put over it?
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:30 PM   #37
RuralRoute C-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Interesting... what do you do in the warm weather months, is their some type of cover you put over it?
In the summer months it is ventilated as needed. Can get a bit warm though if not. The shop inside the shed is air conditioned.

I did plant that one tall tree on that south side years ago. It tends to shade some of south wall from the summer sun which helps.

Figure in Illinois cold season is around October through mid April and summer will last from May through September if we're lucky. I'd always rather be too warm than too cold!

Learned long ago to begin planning for winter every spring.

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:44 PM   #38
Number21

Can't beat a good wood stove with a stick. I just wish I had a cheaper source for wood.

In the barn I've been known to simply start a little camp fire in the middle of the floor.
Number21 is offline   Reply With Quote