The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Post Songs to tune by

On another forum we were discussing THIS article in USA today where a GM engineer listed his Top 10 songs to listen to when evaluating a system and while its a fairly decent list, I can't agree with all of his selections and therefore have decided to post the songs that I use on a regular basis (besides Focal Referrence CD's)

GM's list:

Quote:
Here are Kirsch's "10 Songs for an Audio Test Drive" and what he says to listen for in each track:

"Don't Know Why" by Norah Jones. Listen for Norah's voice to sound natural, and centered in front of you.

"Diamonds and Rust" by Joan Baez. Listen for strong vocals, and for the instruments to be set across a wide sound stage

"No One" by Alicia Keys. Listen for clarity in Alicia's vocals and spacious background sound.

"Hotel California" by the Eagles. Listen for the clarity and dynamic range during the opening guitar solo, and of course the powerful drum beat.

"Boom Boom Pow" by the Black Eyed Peas. Listen for powerful, accurate bass beats, even at full volume.

"Rock that Body" by the Black Eyed Peas. Listen clear, intelligible lyrics over the powerful, persistent bass beat.

"Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap. Listen for the enveloping ambience of the song, building on the openness and dynamic vocals.

"He Mele No Lilo" by Mark Keali'i Ho'omalu from Lilo and Stitch.Listen for the ambience and staging as the children's chorus is offset by powerful bass.

"Bird on a Wire" by Johnny Cash. Listen for the clarity in Johnny's distinctive voice, and his guitar to sound natural and free of any coloration.

"Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box" by Radiohead. Listen for the punch from the percussive bass, and the ring of the steel drums.
My own list varies slightly and includes some really bass heavy tracks, just for fun...

My list:

One thing that they will all have in common is solid dynamics and record quality...

Norah Jones - Don't Know Why
Eric Clapton - Change the World
Eric Clapton - Layla (live)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California
Stone Sour - Through the Glass
Staind - Break the Cycle (Album)
Staind - So Far Away
Escala - Requiem for a Tower
Escala - Palladio
Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
Far East Movement - Like a G6
Flo Rida - Low
Baby Bash - Cyclone

There's a couple others I need to add to the list, but these are just off the top of my head... The last 3 songs are obviously more bass geared, but when tuned right, they sound SO good...

For those wanting some real tuning muscle, ordering Focal Referrence CD's is highly recommended (I like Numero Uno myself), but for those with only iTunes or a large CD collection, these are a great colleciton of tracks that I highly recommend for every music library...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
lilpoindexter

Re: Songs to tune by

Like a G6?!
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
54Caddy
GM Addicted

cyclone ahahha i remember that one clearly every time youd play that one and just murder my subs ahahaha..

My 73 GMC Truck Build Pic
2010 Silverado 4/6 on 24s

IG:MacsGarage
54Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Like I said, some are just for fun. Actually that one helped me fine tune my low-end in my '05. I know it sounds crazy, but trust me...

The last three on the list are pretty much there for fun to show what the low end of the system will do, and can be used for tuning the low end for when you get a song that does have more bass than another, that it isn't over powering.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:56 AM   #5
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Low rider by war...the bell and killer bass thump
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #6
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Do You Like Bass - DJ Tiesto

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

Old 10-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
fire120ball

sticky!

2000 Trans Am, ls1, 6 Spd http://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance...years-old.html
fire120ball is offline   Reply With Quote