The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
palposity

Driveshaft Curiosity

A little background first: I had a guy change the front seal on the tranny about a year ago - well before I decided to do a restoration on the truck. When he dropped the tranny he noticed the U-Joints were bad so he replaced them. When I got the truck back it had a shimmy above 45mph. Since I mainly only plow with the truck I don't often drive it that fast so it wasn't much of an issue. I was always suspicious that he did something wrong w/ the U-Joints though.

Now fast forward to today: So the rear drive shaft for my "Cletus" project was not in great shape. Lots of rust and corrosion around the yokes. I took it to a local "Fleet Pride" shop that specializes in drive shafts and machine work. The first thing they noticed was that the groves for the C-Clips had corroded away so badly there was not a good way for the clips to hold the U-Joints on center. (Hence my shimmy problem). The odd thing that he noticed was that the section that slides into the back of my transfer case appeared to only have about 2" worth of it that was actually in the transfer case. He had me measure from the end of the transfer case housing to the center of the saddle on the rear diff. He determined that my drive shaft was 3" too short! That was disturbing.

Here's what I am betting: I know the tranny was swapped with a used unit before I bought the truck. I am also suspicious that the NP208 that is in my truck is not stock and maybe was not standard equipment for the 86 K20. Anyone know that for sure? I bet the tranny was swapped with a used unit that had a shorter tail housing, and a different transfer case...and I further bet that this was done without changing the drive shaft. Clear as mud???

Sorry for the long story - I just wanted to think this through and share it so any of you who know about this stuff can tell my if my stream of logic makes sense or not.

Thanks guys!!!!
Project #1 "Pops"--1980 Chevrolet Scottsdale C10 3rd Generation in the same original owner family. GOAL: Restore to "almost" original.
View Project Pops HERE

Project #2 "Cletus"--1986 Chevy K20 4.10 Gear Ratio GOAL: Restore into a heavy duty work/plow rig
View Project Cletus HERE - SOLD

DD--2008 Duramax CCSB
palposity is offline   Reply With Quote