The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

starting my '77 stepper project finally! manual trans help

didnt like steppers, but this one was given to me and after awhile it just grew on me. truck went under water in ike but im going pretty much frame up on this one so thats fine. cab n front clip are toast, but i have replacements already and the bed is still really nice. Ive got plenty of spare parts, and finally got something to put my 283 in .

im gonna be lookin in old posts tryin to find some good stepper pics to give me some ideas. right now im definately sticking the 283 in it that came from a buds 62 impala, has a three-speed on it now ive thought about using , but is it a good tranny all around or could i be looking for something better that will also just bolt right up and still use my bellhousing and find the correct clutch pedal assembly? ill have to find the clutch pedal anyways so id lik to make it simple.

i do have good selection of rearends to pick from, one being a ford 9-inch posi from a 57 fairlane parts car but i have no clue on the ratio, and one from a 80-something t/a thats also posi and i think 3.42 ratio. possibly some old camaro rallies or cragars or somethin, 10's in the back of course for that look i like. and i know im gonna lower it, but prolly not overboard like i usually do.

i plan to keep this one, i miss having a standard trans and really need some decent gas mileage to keep from having to sell it down the road when gas goes up again.

its raining today and a pita to get bck to it, but ill grab pics tommorrow if its not raining
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nbc.customs

knightowl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
lilpoindexter

Re: starting my '77 stepper project finally! manual trans help

I have a 78 C10 step side with the straight 6 and stock 3spd...Not sure if your 3spd is a truck three speed, but if so, I think they suck.
1st and 2nd are like 1st and second in a modern 5 speed, and 3rd is like 4th in a modern 5 speed...There isn't a good ratio for just driving city streets without either revving it too high in 2nd, or so low that it lurches in 3rd.
I'd find at least an old school light duty 4speed c10 tranny. My truck will eventually get a hybrid camaro/s10 t5...I've already got the s10 5spd, now i just need to find that rare as hens teeth camaro t5.
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:31 AM   #3
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

Re: starting my '77 stepper project finally! manual trans help

thanks for the info, i definately dont want to have to be going through any of that. guess im watchin out for 3/4-tons and duallys for a 4 or 5-speed
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nbc.customs

knightowl73 is offline   Reply With Quote