The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
jkade

Something Draining Battery

Something in my 86 is running the battery down. It just started all of the sudden and I have not added anything. Were would you start? It is dead if it sets for about 2 days.

Thanx!!!!
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

Re: Something Draining Battery

the first basic step is to disconnect the + batt cable (- cable works also) and see if you have a light spark when re-attatching and disconnecting,

OR

place a test light between the - batt Cable and the - Batt post (in series) and see if the test light comes on.

From there start disconnecting differnt things to see if light goes off,
Alt, fuses, rear lighting connector, radio, amp, ect. make sure you do this with the key off and door shut and the door switch disconnected so the dome light doesnt come on.

Once you find out what circuit its on then you can diagnose further

OR

use a multi meter(where the test light would be)...... on the 10 amp scale. You always start with high amps then work your way down to miliamps
But thats a little harder to explain.

Last edited by 63chevyll; 11-01-2010 at 11:30 PM.
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #3
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Like 63 chevy said, start with the altenator first and use the test light in series on the battery cable. since these trucks are stupid simple in the wiring aspect, maybe instead of pulling fuses, narrow down the area. Un plug the bulk head connector and see if the light goes out... if so, your problem lies witho ne of those 3 connectors, seperate them and plug them back in one at a time. process of elimination...

clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
red rumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63chevyll View Post
the first basic step is to disconnect the + batt cable (- cable works also) and see if you have a light spark when re-attatching and disconnecting,

OR

place a test light between the - batt Cable and the - Batt post (in series) and see if the test light comes on.

Alt, fuses, rear lighting connector, radio, amp, ect. make sure you do this with the key off and door shut and the door switch disconnected so the dome light doesnt come on.

OR

use a multi meter(where the test light would be)...... on the 10 amp scale. You always start with high amps then work your way down to miliamps
second that and a dead give away is when you hit a bump something goes weak such as a stereo or lights ect. good luck electical gremlins can get agrivating
red rumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
jkade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63chevyll View Post

OR

OR

Thanks for the tips!!! The cable does spark when I take it loose. I will try the test light and see what I can find out. Thanks guys for all the help. I will post when I figure out what it is.

Thanks, Kade
jkade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:18 AM   #6
sixshooter798
Desert Rat

I was having the same problem. I don't drive mine everyday, so I installed a cut-off switch. The CD player doesn't show the right time, but I don't mind.
sixshooter798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooter798 View Post
I was having the same problem. I don't drive mine everyday, so I installed a cut-off switch. The CD player doesn't show the right time, but I don't mind.
You may not mind, but thats a band-aid fix. Keep in mind that it if you forget to turn your switch off, it could short out leading to a smoldering disaster.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

does the truck have an aftermarket stereo?

Ive seen so many times the stereo is Hot all the time and will drian the batt after 2 days or so
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
walkerb

I had to disconnect my clock gauge. Because I dont drive the truck all the time. Work much better now.
1986 K30 Crewcab SRW 350
R.I.P- glimmertwin01- board member and good friend, you will be missed
walkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #10
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

try discornet you Stereo it is usually the culprit 90% of the time if its aftermarket

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote