The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #1
Ms Bright

Question Stick with original motor or new?

I have the original motor for my 68 short bed. I blew a freeze plug and didn't know it and drove about half a mile before it started to smell hot. I towed it home and replaced the plug but couldn't get the dang thing to turn over. It's been wrapped in a tarp for about two months. Where can I take the motor to make sure the blocks not cracked and the heads are not warped? (I'm pretty sure I caught it in time but...) I know that if the motor is ok and just needs rebuilt it would be more cost effective but I'm building a brand new truck. For efficiency, power and coolness factor is a brand spankin new crate motor & tranny the way to go or, ain't it a shame to seperate the original motor from my truck? Also; I'm building this truck to be a daily-driven cruiser with decent gas mileage but with the ability to git on it when the mood strikes. What kind of gear ratio, block & hp should I be lookin at? Sorry if these sound like "girl" questions but I could use some experienced advice. I've been saving up for this rebuild for years so, within reason, money is not an option but I'd like to keep it under around $50,000.
Ms Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
67cheby
67cheby

Re: Stick with original motor or new?

if money is not the issue , a ram jet 350 or ram jet 502, complete from chevrolet, you would get a dependable , powerful, fuel injected motor , ready to go !!!
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Electric Head

just my personal opinion, but I would just rebuild the stock engine for it if you plan on doing more of a restore than custom. If you're going to do it all custom, just keep the original block stored somewhere and go with something bigger and new. sounds like with your budget, you shouldn't have any trouble doing whatever you want to it.
Electric Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
SactoJim

I would say $50k is a pretty reasonable budget!!! Hell, with that budget, I could build two really kick-@ss trucks!

I wouldn't worry about the original motor and definitely do a late model LS swap for a daily driver. Find a LQ9 (6.0 / 4L80) out of a Caddy, Denali, and whatever else they came in (maybe even a 6.2 out of something newer), throw some 3.73 gears in it with posi of course and you would have a fun little daily driver that's as dependable as they get.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Bright View Post
I towed it home and replaced the plug but couldn't get the dang thing to turn over.
Are you saying that the engine is seized, or that it will crank, but not start?

Ray
Old 11-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
treveiger

I personally would go with a crate motor because they come with a warrenty and are brand new.
treveiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
Ms Bright

the motor won't crank and I'm sure the it's seized. I've scoped it out and have got a quote for the Ramjet 350; Thanks, 67cheby. I'm going to be getting rid of the motor and tranny I have now and would let someone take it off my hands before winter. I'd just as soon have someone come get it, check it out and tell me what they'd pay for it. It was a good strong motor that was starting to burn a little oil before "the incident"...
Ms Bright is offline   Reply With Quote