The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2010, 02:18 AM   #1
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

header rattling... what to do?

my truck has a set of hooker headers on it, that dont leak, and arent that old, but the driver side one rattles horribly when the truck is sitting at idle. whether in gear or neutral it just makes the truck sound like something fred sanford would drive, just kills the beautiful exhaust note.

ive heard of the wrap, but didnt get too many good things about using it, so i was urged to stay away from that. i do know that if i put my foot on the header right before the collector i can get the noise to stop. so far im thinking of making a bracket to bolt to a few trans bolts and clamp it to the right pipe that is rattling, hopefully it wouldnt look too jerry-rigged. but what do you guys do to actually cure this, or does everyone just live with it till they get a new set?
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nbc.customs

knightowl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:47 AM   #2
lindstromjd
Gentleman Jim owner x2

Re: header rattling... what to do?

Might sound a little stupid, but do you have a good gasket on it? Or else maybe the pipes are hitting the frame when the engine is running... I've heard the driver's side header can be known to do that.
lindstromjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:57 AM   #3
knightowl73

ill check to see if it is that close, it could be hitting i guess, and i know the gaskets are good
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

Old 11-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
notrailerqueens

i got the same problem. well kinda mines on the passanger side. but after some adjustment i got a LITTLE (emphasis on little) more clearance. i had to grind down right at the frame rail where the headers pass to get the clearnace so the didnt rattle on the rail. pretty much a pita but hey the scarafices we make
Attached Images

85' chevy long box, built by a girl!

My Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=429956
notrailerqueens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
knightowl73

yeah im going check mine out now. i didnt think it was hitting anything, just thought the header itself was making the noise. ill find out soon.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
cableguy0

Dropped any bolts recently that you couldnt find? I have seen bolts end up down near the collector and rattle like crazy. just make sure theres clearance everywhere
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
knightowl73

actually found a piece of broken spark plug in the same collector when i firs got the truck, wonder if theres another piece in there or something. i didnt take it off, just got a screwdriver and pushed it up and out of the tubes. could still be a piece in there. i got a magnet on a stick that the magnet is pretty small, il try to stick it in between the pipes and see if i pull up anything.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Panelman55

I'm still running open headers so I really can't hear a rattle. If you take off the mufflers maybe you won't have a rattle anymore!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #9
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Might be the collector bolts, too. Check the torque.

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:23 AM   #10
pig rig

Im running hooker super comp headers on mine and I had to tourch and grind a little clearnce on my frame rails and notch for the collector flange. all on the drivers side

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:16 AM   #11
qu1cks1lver56

hmmm all this talk about touching frame rails makes me wanna go look at mine. mine rattles something fierce when it's in gear and under a load.
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:19 AM   #12
knightowl73

ill have to do the same, tho i dont see where anything has been hitting ori close enough but as the motor flexes when its lumping i guessit must hit. ill jack it up n see tommorrow if it isnt raining like it was today. i got nada done

Old 11-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
knightowl73

well i finally fixed the rattle. out of 5 pieces of old spark plug, i finally got all the rattle out. i guess the previous owner wasnt so good at changing plugs. 2 and a half spark plugs were just hanging out near the bottom of the collector. thats wild, i had already took one plug from there when i first got the truck.

and i know they are hooker headers and they are for my truck, but i have no clearance issues whatesoever and if i had a digicam id tae a pic. i dont think i could get a better fitting header on this truck, and they dont even hang very low at all so i can still go lower if i please. thanks for all the help and suggestions guys !