The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2003, 01:04 AM   #1
lofly'a

time to buy paint, how much do i need?

gotta buy paint and clear for the tahoe 2-door color change from emerald green to black, so i'll be painting the outside plus the jams, underside of hood, inner fenders, and both bumpers. as far as i can estimate, i'll need 4qarts of each base, and clear. i'm using PPG- dbu base coat, and concepts 2021 clear. is this enough or too much? also, i have some new urethane parts that i prepped as per boardmembers suggestions to get off the mold wax residue. washed w/ dawn, repeatedly!, prepped w/ wax and grease remover, repeatedly!, scuffed w/ brown scotchbrite, ....... and the water still beads up and rolls off like they have been freshly waxed. is this normal, it did this with the urethane cowl cover 1st, and finally after repeated scuffing the water finally sheets off but not the bumper cover and front grille shell. i am doing the escalade conversion so i have a lot of urethane upfront to prep and paint. any thoughts or answers??
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:02 AM   #2
VTKidder

I did a 2-door S-10 blazer a few years ago base / clear, and did the same things minus the extra parts prepped. I had a gallon of base, and a gallon of clear. I forget how many coats of color there was, but it was 3 coats of clear, and I had about a pint and change left of color, and used up all the clear. You've got a bigger truck, and some extra parts, so I'd pick up maybe 5 qts of color, and 5 of clear, depending on how many clear coats you want. If you're one of those 1/4" of clear guys, get a couple gallons, but I'd think that for a standard old paint job, 5 quarts would be fine once you add all the hardeners, etc to it.
VTKidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 10:43 AM   #3
NSANE68!!!
SLICER AND DICIER

Base should be plenty, But clear I would do like 1.5gal, so you can lay down extra clear for sand and buffing. That's a big SUV, and you would be suprised at how fast you go through material. Don't wanna be into the first coat of clear and run out.
DOH!!! That would not be good. Buy it if you don't open and use the supply store will usually take it back. Better safe than sorry.
95 Honda 900RR
05 GMC Siearra (company truck)
NSANE68!!! is offline   Reply With Quote