The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2010, 11:09 PM   #1
SFTorange

Re: The Brown Truck

I'm heading over to meet Jon (jonzcusstomshop) to pick up a factory gauge cluster tomorrow! I'll hopefully have more updates later this week. Ordered a bunch of new parts too!
SFTorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
AZ66GMC
Desert Dweller

Sounds like you have a great plan for the truck. It's good to see that you are moving forward and making good progress.

Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.

Tony
Posted via Mobile Device

66 GMC LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399283
AZ66GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
SFTorange

Thanks for the post. I definitely need a lot of positive reinforcement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ66GMC View Post
Sounds like you have a great plan for the truck. It's good to see that you are moving forward and making good progress.

Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.

Tony
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-31-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
SFTorange

I've managed to squeeze in some time on the truck over the holidays. First, I met up with jonzcustomshop in Missoula and pulled a few new parts from his collection. I picked up a nice factory gauge cluster and oil pressure hard line, a bed mount perch, and a new plastic piece for the bottom of the steering wheel. My dad is an amateur knife maker, so he offered to polish the gauge bezel for me. I'll post pics when he finishes it. It's nice to have someone to help me out as I go along, too bad he lives 350 miles away.
Name:  Truck and Pets 023.jpg
Views: 7440
Size:  55.0 KB

Yesterday, I pulled the axles out of my 12 bolt so I could pull the old brake backing plates off. I was a little worried about pulling the axles, but it turned out to be an easy project. I reinstalled the axles for now so I won't risk the spider gears falling out. I also went to the local junkyard and picked up a set of 67-72 motor mount perches. I'm going to experiment with the forward holes for the engine to allow for more clearance for the 700r4 and HEI distributor.

Name:  Truck and Pets 020.jpg
Views: 7835
Size:  42.0 KB

Today I spent a bunch of time degreasing the 12 bolt and sandblasting various other metal parts (sway bar, front suspension brackets, rear spring cups, steering linkage, motor perches) in preparation for POR-15. I ordered some of their solvent this time around and I'm going to try spraying it with a Preval aerosol spray setup.

Name:  Truck and Pets 021.jpg
Views: 7312
Size:  50.5 KB
Old 12-31-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
SFTorange

Here's a picture of my seats. They came out of a 2006 GMC Sierra. I'm lucky enough to have an uncle who is an upholsterer. He offered to recover them in leather, but I'm having trouble deciding what color.

Should I go with a lighter grey color? I'm not sure how that would look with the fawn interior. Or, should I track down a set of seats that came from the factory in tan so I could match the plastic trim pieces with a tan leather. I'm wondering if that might make too monotone of a cab. I have a black carpet for the truck.

Opinions Please!!!!

Name:  Truck and Pets 024.jpg
Views: 7532
Size:  38.2 KB
Old 01-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
pmkrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTorange View Post
Here's a picture of my seats. They came out of a 2006 GMC Sierra. I'm lucky enough to have an uncle who is an upholsterer. He offered to recover them in leather, but I'm having trouble deciding what color.

Should I go with a lighter grey color? I'm not sure how that would look with the fawn interior. Or, should I track down a set of seats that came from the factory in tan so I could match the plastic trim pieces with a tan leather. I'm wondering if that might make too monotone of a cab. I have a black carpet for the truck.

Opinions Please!!!!

Attachment 674618
Could go with saddle with white inserts, kinda old school and like the color scheme of the truck, I don't think Grey goes with the gold too well myself.
pmkrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:26 AM   #7
SFTorange

I managed to get a few more things done this weekend. I made a huge list of nuts and bolts to pick up in the morning, ordered a stainless body bolt kit from Totally Stainless, and disassembled prepped my vent windows for paint. I also had the old tires pulled off of the 15 inch 73-87 k10 6-lug wheels. I'm going to take them in for sandblasting in the morning.

Name:  Truck 007.jpg
Views: 8858
Size:  47.9 KB
I talked the kid at Walmart into pulling the tires off and disposing of them for a total of $3. Not my usual tire shop, but for a simple job on a Sunday, they did the trick.
Name:  Truck 004.jpg
Views: 7216
Size:  32.9 KB

If you look closely, you can see the vent window rebuild FAQ thread by alansclassics up on my laptop. It was a huge help and easily guided me through the process. Thanks Alan!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
SFTorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkrew View Post
Could go with saddle with white inserts, kinda old school and like the color scheme of the truck, I don't think Grey goes with the gold too well myself.
That's not a bad idea at all. Here's hoping the junkyard gets in a truck with a nice set of tan leather seats.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
RoyL

Oil Pressure Hard Line to Dash Gauge? Size?

Quote:
I've managed to squeeze in some time on the truck over the holidays. First, I met up with jonzcustomshop in Missoula and pulled a few new parts from his collection. I picked up a nice factory gauge cluster and oil pressure hard line, . . .
Attachment 674602
Anybody know what size tubing and fitting to use for oil pressure? My truck has the guage but no tubing from the engine.

Thx. Sorry to highjack this thread but it has a nice picture of the oil line[ in the quote attachment] !

Roy
Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
SFTorange

I couldn't find the exact size, but most parts houses carry a kit to redo the hard line. You can probably get a kit at the auto parts store, but make sure to get a hard line, not a plastic one.

http://www.truckandcarshop.com/trucks60_72/t60_033.html

http://www.classicparts.com/1947-77-...ctinfo/24-781/
Old 01-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
RoyL

Quote:
I couldn't find the exact size, but most parts houses carry a kit to redo the hard line. You can probably get a kit at the auto parts store, but make sure to get a hard line, not a plastic one.

http://www.truckandcarshop.com/trucks60_72/t60_033.html

http://www.classicparts.com/1947-77-...ctinfo/24-781/
OK, thanks. Will check the local parts stores. Agree, don't want a plastic line. Nice truck, btw!
Roy