The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2003, 03:02 AM   #1
jbfive

help I don't want to pay to much

I am about to purchase my first truck. After months of looking I finally found one I wanted, but the price seems out of line, I am young and I don't want to get ripped off, I just want to pay what its worth. It is a 72 C10 4x4. It has quite a bit of surface rust in several places, but nothing too bad. It was orginally blue but has been painted white The motor runs real strong and was (according to seller) rebuilt less than 30,000 miles ago. It has a 8 inch lift with 36 inch tires, he has put 4.56 gears in it and he said he went through the rear end and front end and replaced bearings etc... He has done some work to the drivelines, and mechanically it seems in real good condition, but the body is rough, no huge dents just the surface rust. The interior is decent unfortunatly it has a bench seat from a 90's chevy It is missing alot of emblems. I would eventually like to restore it back to stock or as close as possible ( with the exception of the lift ). He is asking 6,500 but in the Nada guide it says 4,400as low retail and 7,625 as average. But low book quote" needs only minor reconditioning, exterior paint should show normal wear" Anyways just wanted some oppinions I hope I supplied you with enough info, I know it will be hard to say an exact price with just a description and no picture, but any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
jbfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 09:25 AM   #2
krue
Designated A-hole!

A couple of things, what's your location, it makes a difference. Also can you post some pics? You can look on the parts board and see if you see similar trucks for sale and what they are asking for them.
My advice is take a little time and do a little research before you spend a bunch of money!
That price seems a little high to me, but I am not into 4x's.

Welcome to the board from South Mississippi!

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 09:33 AM   #3
cdowns

sounds like a beast to me !! are you sure for your first truck you want something with a large lift large tires and large gears can you afford the 4-5 miles per gallon that this beast is going to eat?? in addition expect to have a higher than average continual repair parade on a setup like that
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 09:33 AM   #4
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Like krue said, location does make a difference. These trucks go for top dollar on the east coast. It sounds like a fair price (if the rust is minor surface rust) but it's not exactly a steal. Bottom line is that anything is worth what you're willing to pay. Make sure that you take a nice long ride in it before handing over any green. (and expect about 5 miles per gallon)
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 12:14 PM   #5
jbfive

thanks so much for the replies. I live in Northern California. And its not my first truck it is just my first classic truck. I have been in love with 67-72 chevy's for as long as I can remember and I am so excited to maybe be getting one.
jbfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 03:43 PM   #6
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

The price sounds a little high for something with a rough body. How is it lifted? Blocks or Springs? How are the tires - new ones will cost a small fortune. Also, with 8" of lift, you may want to consider cross-over steering (check board member Pont's photos). Definately expect 4-5mpg. I'm getting around 6 in my blazer and my gears are 4.10's. If you can post pictures, it will help.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 04:18 PM   #7
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Around here that sounds like a $3,000 to $4,000 truck. His asking price may not be out of line in Cali. Pics would definitely help us. I'm always a little leary of other peoples lifts, guess I would rather have done it myself to know it's done right.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 05:14 PM   #8
bpmcgee

If it's a truck you're planning on restoring to original, then all these modifications are nothing more than additional expense for the conversion back.

Even if you're okay with that, I'd certainly bring it up as a bargaining point. My guess is he's taking a base price and adding on something for all of his "upgrades."

Good luck,

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 06:00 PM   #9
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

Welcome from Las Vegas.... $6,500 sounds pretty high for the truck you described.