The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2011, 03:53 AM   #26
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: What a mess just look at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtusmc View Post
Come on man...it's not that bad. Some L brackets with angry welds is okay on the frontend.
Yeah yeah Mr. Sarcastic.lol Isn't that L bracket just ingenious, especially when it was used on only one side, he made no attempt to make it symmetrical. This thing is different in every way from one side to the other.lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinbc View Post
You know, I thought I'd be funny and post some pics of worse hack jobs but after combing the net for an hour I came up empty, this is baaad.

The one on Luckin Fou's panel thread is pretty close, but I do think this one is worst but they are both really bad.

Its a good thing if you can't find more like this. Hopefully that means there are not that many fools out there. At least let us hope there's not.

Last edited by Kabwe; 02-09-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #27
Fat Mike

Here we go with the Pay It Forward. When they did my subframe job it was garbage just like that one and costed me alot of money. What he showed me in a portfolio was not what he did. I feel bad for your friend and would be willing to give him a mustang II crossmember for an ad truck. If he could use it look under my profile under c-notch and there is a picture of it! It is new!! Hope this helps.
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #28
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Mike View Post
Here we go with the Pay It Forward. When they did my subframe job it was garbage just like that one and costed me alot of money. What he showed me in a portfolio was not what he did. I feel bad for your friend and would be willing to give him a mustang II crossmember for an ad truck. If he could use it look under my profile under c-notch and there is a picture of it! It is new!! Hope this helps.
That's a very nice offer, but he wants the nova clip and I will be done for the most part this weekend. It's all mocked up and just needs to be welded back in. It will be fine, but that is a really nice offer. Thanks.

Last edited by Kabwe; 02-07-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #29
Fat Mike

Well, I'm glad he is getting a more qualified person to work on his truck this time.
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #30
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

You know that dicer would be questioning why your not just putting a stock frame back in it.....

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #31
chevyrestoguy

Man, all I can saw is WOW!!! I've seen some hack jobs in my time, but that has to be one of the worst. It baffles me how people can do that kind of work with no regard to measurements, theory, or structural integrity. I'm just glad that owner was able to be lucky enough to have it fixed before he got hurt when it all came apart. And it WOULD have all came apart in a very ugly way.

The jig is a very good idea. Once you get it all zero'd out and square, I would internally gusset the intersection areas and then completely box the whole thing with 3/16ths plate. How did idiot handle the core support and bumper mounts? Are you going to have to fix those, too?

I'm speechless. Not only did he get the wheelbase crooked, he also got the clip out of level. That job was probably done at a keg party by a panel of "experts". My 15yr old could have done a much better job than that moron.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527

Last edited by chevyrestoguy; 02-07-2011 at 12:24 PM.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #32
62ChevyII

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinbc View Post
You know, I thought I'd be funny and post some pics of worse hack jobs but after combing the net for an hour I came up empty, this is baaad.

Here you go... I bought this 53 with the wortse subframe job I had ever seen. It's over an inch out of square and the caster leans forward instead of backward, LOL! I was gonna re-do the subframe but just decided to throw an S-10 chassis under it.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #33
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Mike View Post
Well, I'm glad he is getting a more qualified person to work on his truck this time.
Thank you for the compliment and the offer Fatmike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entourageguy View Post
You know that dicer would be questioning why your not just putting a stock frame back in it.....
LOL. That guy is a trip. Its hard to make some people understand that people can do what ever they want with their cars (Hopefully not dangerous stuff like this). I'm not a stock person at all, but I don't go around telling people they have to hotrod, or modify. Its their car and if I have the information you need to reach your goal (not my goal) I am more than willing to share that info. That's what this forum is and should be about. Not telling people what they should do. Case in point I told my friend to lets just rebuild the frame rails and do an aftermarket unit and he does not want that. So I'm doing what he wants not what I would do. He asked me if I could just re-use the clip and I said yes and thats the end of story.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 04-11-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #34
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
Man, all I can saw is WOW!!! I've seen some hack jobs in my time, but that has to be one of the worst. It baffles me how people can do that kind of work with no regard to measurements, theory, or structural integrity. I'm just glad that owner was able to be lucky enough to have it fixed before he got hurt when it all came apart. And it WOULD have all came apart in a very ugly way.

The jig is a very good idea. Once you get it all zero'd out and square, I would internally gusset the intersection areas and then completely box the whole thing with 3/16ths plate. How did idiot handle the core support and bumper mounts? Are you going to have to fix those, too?

I'm speechless. Not only did he get the wheelbase crooked, he also got the clip out of level. That job was probably done at a keg party by a panel of "experts". My 15yr old could have done a much better job than that moron.
That's why I posted it because I was speechless also.lol Like I said if you think the pics look bad you should have seen it in person. I have another friend who is a wizard fabricator and he would not touch it. He said man I looked at it and he could not pay me enough to do it.lol Well he came by while I was working and said the jig was a brilliant idea that he just didn't think of. That made me feel good coming from him. Then he added he was too confused to think of it.lol

We think alike.lol We you've described is exactly what I'm going to do. About the core support and bumper mounts he wants me to just make it square. Man I can't do that because I don't like it and I'm not one of those people who can live with "man you can't see that" I will end up doing it for free because I just plain don't like it. That's why I don't like working on people cars because I end up doing more than I was paid to do.

And yes I was told it was a bunch of people around drinking beer. Man that's no excuse I'll have a beer or two while working sometimes and I've never did anything like this. It takes way more than beer to do something like this. This is a Jack Daniels, crack or something moment.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 02-12-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #35
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ChevyII View Post
Here you go... I bought this 53 with the wortse subframe job I had ever seen. It's over an inch out of square and the caster leans forward instead of backward, LOL! I was gonna re-do the subframe but just decided to throw an S-10 chassis under it.
Good job. Do what ever you have to do to fix it.

Last edited by Kabwe; 02-17-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #36
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
Hey BCTOYChest,

I forgot to tell you something before you got off the phone so I thought I would share it with the guys here because I laughed so hard. Another one of our buddies was over while I was working on this and I asked did he use a tape measure at all and he said yeah but I guess it was the kind that did not have any numbers.lol
Maybe they just used a string with knots in it like the upolsters used to in Juarez?
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #37
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Maybe they just used a string with knots in it like the upolsters used to in Juarez?
lol. That may still be better than a tape measure with no numbers.lol Stevie Wonder could see something is wrong with this installation.lol

You guys feel free to blast this clip because it should be blasted and looked at the worst possible way to install something. This is what hell must looks like, and if it is I need to go back to church and get right quick.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 02-07-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #38
T Hilde

Wow, I hope your camera recovers. It'll be nice to see the after.
T Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #39
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Hilde View Post
Wow, I hope your camera recovers. It'll be nice to see the after.
Oh I'm buying another camera before the weekend, that way I can post pics. The camera did not recover, it died from a overdose of too much ugly.lol Rest in peace

Last edited by Kabwe; 02-07-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #40
Kim57

You know what they say: If it looks good to a one eyed blind man on a fast horse it's good to go.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #41
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

lol. Kim I never heard that one before.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:27 PM   #42
entourageguy
Yellow truck club

how about this for fixing steering problems no need for flex joints ...

Name:  steering mod.jpg
Views: 3675
Size:  37.0 KB

if you want to see some scary setups check this out..

http://128.83.80.200/taco/scarysteering6.html

Brian ......

My hub garage address
http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/59apache
I gue$$ everything has it'$ price
ALL GONE NOW

59 Chev Apache
PRAISE THE LOWERED
350 700r lokar shifter
power MII front end, shockwaves
tilt, 4 wheel discs
4-link and bags
10 bolt limited
entourageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #43
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Good lord, that's some scary stuff there.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #44
addicted2dunes
Insane In The Membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62ChevyII View Post

Looks like the A-arms are on the wrong sides...

Project: ALTER-K-TION ('57 GMC Quad Cab) http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=393750
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #45
gtbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by entourageguy View Post
how about this for fixing steering problems no need for flex joints ...

Attachment 695953

if you want to see some scary setups check this out..

http://128.83.80.200/taco/scarysteering6.html
It would be kinda interesting to see something fly up from the road and wedge in there. You know, like when we was younger and some idiot would shove a stick in the spokes of your bike. LOL
gtbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:49 AM   #46
bajabob

kabwe
I thought about this poor guys install and wondered if there were two different dudes each working the opposite side ???? Crazy someone would take money for that and then let it roll down the street and be proud of it ????

This cat is lucky to have someone like you to help straighten out his buggy.... you gets good karma for awhile....

what you got planned next weekend ???? lol....
bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #47
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2dunes View Post
Looks like the A-arms are on the wrong sides...
I believe that's the clip he is not using.

Okay guys I got a lot done today after work. I think the clip is going to look really nice, but you be the judge.

The first order of business was to cut out the ugly on the frame and the subframe.

After I measure 50 different time for the wheelbase and to insure everything was square, (I even put the front sheetmetal on to see if I liked how the wheels looked in the wheel well). I used a cardboard template to make a filler piece.

The filler pieces tacked in.

I measured everything again and even put the front sheetmetal back for a final check before welding it in. This side filler box is complete. I will be boxing the frame back to the cab mount and adding gussets eventually.

Half of this filler piece box is complete. I ran out of time today, I should have it done tomorrow. I got a good amount done today.

Last edited by Kabwe; 04-13-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:36 AM   #48
BC Toy chest

Now that looks a lot better, and I know the truck feels happy too, hahaha.
Now as bad as the frame looked before you fixed it, remember I told you the guy that did that hack job was not the Loan Ranger. There's lots of folks like him out there. Entourageguy put up this link http://128.83.80.200/taco/scarysteering6.html . Holy crap the stuff on there makes the mess you cleaned up look like a blemish.

Now what I want to know, if the guy that installed it knew the truck was dog tracking how come he didn't offer to make it right?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=432758
BC Toy chest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #49
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabob View Post
kabwe
I thought about this poor guys install and wondered if there were two different dudes each working the opposite side ???? Crazy someone would take money for that and then let it roll down the street and be proud of it ????

This cat is lucky to have someone like you to help straighten out his buggy.... you gets good karma for awhile....

what you got planned next weekend ???? lol....
I hope so, I really need so good karma about now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Toy chest View Post
Now what I want to know, if the guy that installed it knew the truck was dog tracking how come he didn't offer to make it right?
After seeing what he did to the frame the first time why would you want him to try? Nope its best he did not offer to do anything.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 02-11-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #50
wwhijr
SUPERscrapMAN

Looking much better already. Good work
The BLueOx 1994 Chevy Suburban. K2500 454 Used on a daily basis.
wwhijr is offline   Reply With Quote