The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
gikken20

oh man I think I caught the burb bug

So I was poking around this board and Ive decided that I really want a suburban now. I have a 68 2x4 LWB and when I got back from deployment I was planning on working on it but I was trying to decide what to do since I really want a 4x4 and I have 2 little kiddos, I was leaning towards a 69-72 blazer cause I've had one before and it was awesome but I wanted more room and that left a suburban. After looking at all the pics on here of your guys trucks its decided, I already talked to the wife and shes cool with it the only part that sucks is that I have to get rid of my Tahoe, 68 and malibu, being in the military and moving all the time makes it hard to have to many vehicles. So, when I get back from deployment I will be starting my search for one in the North West (ill be moving to Fort Lewis)I cant wait.

a couple questions, what should I look for? What makes them more valuable?

and me being impatient I already started looking. I like the white one for $2000 the best. I really like the $8000 one but it will be a little out of my price range. what do you guys think?

http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/2198597043.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/2208147304.html

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/2153505771.html

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/2145346053.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/2209714097.html

Thanks Jake
2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
2007 GMC Yukon 4x4 (wife's)
gikken20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: oh man I think I caught the burb bug

Very cool!

Yep, once the burb bug gets you - that's all she wrote.

I'm personally a huge fan of the 4x4's, so I get all google eyed on them.

The white 4x4 one looks like a very good starter, and the price seems really fair too.

The biggest thing to pay attention to on these early burbs is burb specific sections on the body, since getting replacement parts are either very expensive or non existent.

My top five things I would immediately look at, if I was looking at a prospective burb:

1. Rust on the rear quarters.
2. Rust on the rear doors.
3. Glass intact.
4. 3rd door and rear door guts and mechanisms.
5. Rear bench seats, along with the hold downs.

Everything else can be pretty much made to work from the PU parts catalogs.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
1956cameo

Like Vectorit said, get one that is as complete as possible. Just like the trucks, the more options the more valuable, and personally I like mine with a factory BIG BLOCK! Good luck!

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Man o man...you NW guys got some nice Burb's.....I have a 68 swb truck, but like Vectorit says...I got this freakin burb bug I cannot shake....even thought of trading my truck for a nice burb....I'm a 2wd guy....so I'm a fan of the $5500 burb listed above

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #5
1sik7t2
dave

well IF U HAVE 2 GO LIFTED...............i'd go with the black 1 it's bad i could see my self towing my bodydropped burb with it....mite have to paint it orange thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gikken20 View Post
So I was poking around this board and Ive decided that I really want a suburban now. I have a 68 2x4 LWB and when I got back from deployment I was planning on working on it but I was trying to decide what to do since I really want a 4x4 and I have 2 little kiddos, I was leaning towards a 69-72 blazer cause I've had one before and it was awesome but I wanted more room and that left a suburban. After looking at all the pics on here of your guys trucks its decided, I already talked to the wife and shes cool with it the only part that sucks is that I have to get rid of my Tahoe, 68 and malibu, being in the military and moving all the time makes it hard to have to many vehicles. So, when I get back from deployment I will be starting my search for one in the North West (ill be moving to Fort Lewis)I cant wait.

a couple questions, what should I look for? What makes them more valuable?

and me being impatient I already started looking. I like the white one for $2000 the best. I really like the $8000 one but it will be a little out of my price range. what do you guys think?

http://wenatchee.craigslist.org/cto/2198597043.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/2208147304.html

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/2153505771.html

http://bend.craigslist.org/cto/2145346053.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/2209714097.html

Thanks Jake
Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
gikken20

well my wife sold my Tahoe last night, my malibu will be easy to get rid of, now all I need to do is talk her into letting me keep my 68, all I can picture is a lifted burb towing a slammed 68
Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
zac

Once you get a burb, you'll wonder how you ever got along without one. There are none of the downsides you have normally with old vehicles, only upsides IMO. I have to park mine in a shed that makes it kind of hard for me to get it out so that I don't drive it all the time, every day.

I wouldn't buy I truck until you get to Ft. Lewis. WA/OR/NorCal seem to be loaded with great burbs, in good condition. Like Vectorit said, burb specific body panels are the big thing, my pet peeve being the floor aft of the front seat, back to the part where it kicks up under the 2nd seat. I got burned on that once, very sad.

Good luck and welcome.

Oh, and dont pass up an otherwise great truck just because it doesn't have some little option you want. We've been through this here before. There just aren't many of these left around in good condition. You can retrofit A/C or power steering.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
dougo

Its getting more and more difficult to find a nicely optioned burb. Especially a 4x4. You cannot go wrong... resell value will hold up well as you hang on to it. I'm also fond of the 4x4s so im a bit partial. But that white one looks really decent for the price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
gikken20

Im still trying to decide whether to get a blazer or suburban, how do they do offroading? I want one for a DD and for weekend fun and I would love to have all that room, but having a convertible would be awesome too. I used to have a 71 Jimmy that was a blast but with 2 kids and a dog now im needing the room. Which are more rare the barn doors or the tailgate style, I like the tailgate style better.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
dougo

Quote:
Im still trying to decide whether to get a blazer or suburban, how do they do offroading? I want one for a DD and for weekend fun and I would love to have all that room, but having a convertible would be awesome too. I used to have a 71 Jimmy that was a blast but with 2 kids and a dog now im needing the room. Which are more rare the barn doors or the tailgate style, I like the tailgate style better.
I have kids, dogs, etc. - so needed the room as well. I also wanted one for towing, and to use for road trips. The size is great for gear and I cannot tell my trailer is behind us (1500 pounds, dirt bikes + gear). Snow, dirt/mud roads to get to/from a cabin and light off road to get to dirtbike locations is the only off roading I do. And when in 4 wheel drive - its like a tank. But I had a blazer before... that was a tank off road too. Im careful to not bash mine off road... I don't want to thrash it. Its more for getting us from point A to B on those trips. The wheel base is longer than a blazer... so you cannot get in/out as easy in tight places off road. But then again, I did not buy it for hard core off road so it suits me fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #11
dougo

Quote:
Forgot to mention... I see more tailgates than barn doors. Visability is not as good with the barn door but its not terribly bad. Barn doors was a wanted option for me because of the amount of gear I load/haul = easier for me to get stuff in/out. I've seen guys switch out doors to suit their choice (I often see tail gates or barn doors on craigslist).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
zac

The first time I specifically looked for a truck with barn doors, my second truck has the tailgate. I actually prefer the tailgate, which surprised me. It's kind of hard to explain if you haven't had one, but with the barn doors you can just open it kind of part way, or double-clutch it and fully open the door. Of course I would alway be in a hurry and open it to the first stop, then a gust of wind would pop up and close the door on some body part. Maybe it's just me. If it was me, just find a great truck and live with what it has.

I've had blazers before and they are great fun, personal vehicles, but if you have a family they are useless IMO. I have great memories of hauling my snowmobile when I lived in MN with my blazer. Tailgate open, exhaust pouring in..... I was too young to afford a trailer and too dumb to take the time to borrow one.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
63chevyll
gets board easy.......

My parents had a suburban....so its in my blood...ha

I have a couple and woring on the next one..... a 1ton 4 WHEEL.drive
Posted via Mobile Device
63chevyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
gikken20

Thanks everyone for all the info/advice. Talked to the wife again and its decided, im gonna get a suburban when I get up that way, I cant wait, as for options, i wouldnt pass on something just cause it doesnt have tilt or a/c or something im more worried about whether its completely rusted or not, the main thing is gonna be that I have to have a 4x4, thats about it. Id like a tailgate instead of barn doors. These suburbans just look so cool, now that Ive been thinking about it, i dont think ive ever seen one on the road before. Im addicted though
Old 02-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #15
Average Joe

Looks like some great Burbs you've got your eye on!! Like others have stated above the 71-72's had more options and disc brakes were standard. Rust free or as little rust as possible would be my top concern. Vectorit hit the nail on the head about popular rust location. I would like to add another. Suburbans seem to be prone to rusting above the windshield. My '67 has solid rockers, rear quarters, and very minimal floor board rust. However there is rust above the windshield frame. I'm not sure how bad it is and wont know until I remove the windshield. You may also consider geograhical location when purchasing your Burb. The climate of the Pacific Northwest can very widely from the east side of the Cascades to the west. The west side sees significantly more rainfall, fog, and cloudy days than the eastside. Therefor a native "eastern" burb may have less chance for rust. Last but certainly not least, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote