The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
stich626
Account Suspended

vent windows and theft ideas !

Because of well "thats life" my 71 c10 will be my daily driver..
I have the grant stear wheel theft system (wheel come off)
and I'll be adding a kill switch..
what can be done to these vent windows..
I was thinking like a hood pin cable with the lenth changed so the loops would go over the window crank or a hook mounted under the arm rest and the latch..
at least making it a challenge..
any other idea..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
darush01

Re: vent windows and theft ideas !

I have a little latch i took off an old semi, they slide on and you tighten the set screw and it hold the vent shut, it makes it harder to get it open at least
Posted via Mobile Device
darush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
HARJO

Knowing that some of the people who are really about maintaining stock appearance will gasp at this

I think there were vent windows from the 70's-80's Chevy's that had a push button, which when pushed in would then allow the arm to swing up to turn the window out. I wonder if that would be effective in these trucks. Although if someone wants in that badly, they'll just break a window.

I'm in the same boat, wondering what can be done at least as a deterrent without looking goofy.
4x4 conversion, 6" lift, 37" GoodYear Military OZ's, carb'd GMPP RamJet 350, Be Cool aluminum radiator, Flex-o-Lite electric fans, March accessory brackets, T350 trans, NP205, 4 wheel disc, fuel cell... etc.
HARJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
peglegs

i agree with harjo. if your truck is hot & gets targeted a flatbed tow truck or a front end picker will have it within the time it takes a dime to hit the ground. i was thinking more on the lines of a remote motion type sensor that would give a pocket receiver a beep when it was being moved & you could notify the authorities & or Mr. Smith & Wesson & at least get it stopped & recover it b-4 it gets 2 far away. how about that LO-Jack i remember from years ago, someting about a signal that goes directly to the local police station?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I kinda look at it the other way when it comes to locking it up. If they can't open the door, they WILL knock out the glass. I've replaced way too many windows over the years to even bother with locking my doors.
Cut off switch, cool. No steering wheel, OK. Thos will keep people from driving away. But I've seen too many people's cars get ripped off wuth a rollback or even a tow truck. No one questions a wrecker when they come and hook up to a car.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
stich626
Account Suspended

I work 3rd shift..
the truck isn't so nice that a pro(with a flat bed) is gonna take it.
it's the joy ride type I want to stop..
if they have the door open and are stealing the radio . no one will say boo.. but if the glass is on the ground, well..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I'm with Long hornman on this one...i have heard of guys putting cel phones under the dash to be tracked I thought that was a good Idea??

Ussually if I have a to park in a questionable area I will usually park in the wrong place..handicap,double,firelane,what ever ?the tickets are cheap and these places are ususally well lit??

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
DANTIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
I kinda look at it the other way when it comes to locking it up. If they can't open the door, they WILL knock out the glass. I've replaced way too many windows over the years to even bother with locking my doors.
Cut off switch, cool. No steering wheel, OK. Thos will keep people from driving away. But I've seen too many people's cars get ripped off wuth a rollback or even a tow truck. No one questions a wrecker when they come and hook up to a car.
I used to drive a convertible. Never locked it, never left anything worth stealing in it.
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
eagleuh1

Avatel has an alarm with pager feature, about $200. Pages the remote that your carrying around. Was looking at buying this myself. Also has remote start, remote lock, unlock and some other features. Don't have any interest.... in the company, just was looking at one myself.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
Frkypunk70

Keep the doors unlocked, hell.. the key in the ignition and pull the coil wire or the power to the HEI. Personally if they do not know you have to hold up on my gear selector they would never start my truck. I had a hard time when I bought it.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
BOZO
Old School

When doing service work out on the road, we would put $25.00 driveway monitor transceivers in the service truck & trailer, then put the receivers in our motel rooms. You could look in the truck and it wouldn't activate, but if you opened a door or window it would let you know. I keep one in my glass front gun cabinet. You can stand right in front of the gun case with the door shut and it won't go off, but if you try to open the door the whole house will be notified by the receiver in my bedroom. Think I bought mine at Lowes.
Hidden GPS locaters aren't a bad idea either.
#1 Project...69 Chevy swb Fleetside (Dad's truck)
#2...1983 El Camino SS (Choo Choo Custom)
#3...1974 Datsun truck (4.3L V6/4L60E)
#4...1951 Cadillac Limo (1975 Caddy running gear)
#5...1938 Dodge M38 3/4 ton Military truck
#6...1968 Sportster XLCH trail bike
5 GMC & Chevy parts trucks 68 to 72
Last but not least;
My 1978 Harley Davidson Electraglide
(trusted & reliable companion for the last 30 years)
BOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #12
longhorn70gmc

Allot of good points made here. I learned some of these lessons myself. I am a security freak when it comes to my stuff, but if their determined they will get it. Mainly mine is to keep the Meth freaks out of my gas and inside of the cab. I have had to McGyver a secured locking system for my gas caps and the front hoods to keep them out of the motor bay. I bought some of those little locking plate deals for all my vent windows and they are working great. I recommend those for the vent windows if that is what you’re searching for. I think I bought mine at Brothers for about 15 Bucks. As always the FAQ has ideals for locking or securing stuff on our trucks like the hood. I like your: I was thinking like a hood pin cable with the length changed so the loops would go over the window crank or a hook mounted under the arm rest and the latch. I would like to see that in action and understand how it works. Good Luck and hope you invent something new.

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
brad_man_72
the boat guy

my girlfriend gets mad that I laugh at her for locking her soft top jeep. She's never had to replace an $800 top and a $200 stereo. I had a convertable in highschool, I never put the top up and never left anything in open view, nobody ever messed with it.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #14
vectorit
What?

I got these little locks from LMC.
I liked them because they are old school theft deterrent gadgets, and they were cheep enough to throw on.

I agree that if someone wants to get something, they will in one way or another.

Personally, I've had bad luck with little hoodlums and vandals that go for the easy opportunity.
Attached Images

vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
If they can't open the door, they WILL knock out the glass.
This sums it up.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote