The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Rob68c10

Converting to a single wire alternator?

I went to autozone to get a new alternator for the 68. The guy suggested I get a single wire alternator so I don't have to deal with the voltage regulator anymore. He said it involves no work, just drop it back in. Is this true? I am hesitant to rely on advice from them.

Is it just a drop in thing?
Rob68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
67Slider

Re: Converting to a single wire alternator?

I'm curious too. I heard something about a resistor/transistor needed for this at one point. I haven't had to change mine yet but when the alt goes out I probably will.
67Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
7T2

It still has a voltage regulator, it's just inside the alternator. Should work just fine.
1969 Chevy C10 Short Bed
1972 Chevy C10 Long Bed *SOLD*
1996 C3500 Dually *SOLD*
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #4
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Slider View Post
I'm curious too. I heard something about a resistor/transistor needed for this at one point. I haven't had to change mine yet but when the alt goes out I probably will.

You're confusing it with HEI; you need to bypass the resistor wire if you install HEI. The single-wire alternator is really easy to wire. I found a link someone posted earlier that explains it pretty well. I rewired mine in less than 15 minutes, including hunting for my wireless terminals in my parts bin.

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html
truckster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
60ratrod
yes, i do

is that the internally regulated alternator or the later model "one wire" alternator. cause the diagram looks like the internally regulated alternator. and the internally regulated alternators are easy to do

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
Rob68c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
You're confusing it with HEI; you need to bypass the resistor wire if you install HEI. The single-wire alternator is really easy to wire. I found a link someone posted earlier that explains it pretty well. I rewired mine in less than 15 minutes, including hunting for my wireless terminals in my parts bin.

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html
I am confused, does this mean that I DO have to mess with wires? The guy at autozone said that he converted one and didn't have to change anything at all.
Rob68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
60ratrod
yes, i do

yes you have to bypass the external regulator since the new alternator is an internally regulated unit. but the wiring part is simple

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:15 AM   #8
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

You guys are talking about three different alternators Here. The stock externally regulated alternator, the newer internally regulated alternator and the one wire. The stock alternator is a lower output and not sufficient for the newer accessories available. I. E. large amps, cooling fans. In 1973 I think GM converted to the internally regulated 10 SI type which is higher output at idle and above. It is very easy to convert the older type by moving just a couple of wires. In fact you can just jumper the wires in the plug to the external voltage regulator. Then you can remove the external VR and clean up the engine bay a little.

The one-wire is very simple. You just unbolt the stock alternator and bolt on the one-wire then hook up the large wire to the back of it, unplug the external VR and you're done. It has it's drawbacks though. If you have a charging light then it will no longer work and you may have to rev the engine at first to get the alternator to charge.

If you go to the electrical forum and type " alternator conversion" in the search box, you will get numerous threads about the subject.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:33 AM   #9
Blue72slab

One-wire are mostly good for tractors and the like with no accessories because they charging all the time and do not have any remote voltage sensing to increase output when you are using more power. IMO you should switch to a 10 or 12 si which will bolt right in (although you may have to change/modify you adjusting bracket). It is easy to wire by jumpering the regulator wires or wiring it directly to the voltage sensing wire and dash light. Check out MADelectrical.com for a great discussion on this including one-wire alternators.
1980 GMC K5 Sierra Classic
Blue72slab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:40 AM   #10

If it were me, I would just go with a 10si or 12si three wire.
1) They are less expensive
2) They perform a little better since they a remote voltage sensing
3) You can run a warning light.
Plenty of info on how to wire them on the web.........pretty easy stuff.
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Smile Re: Converting to a single wire alternator?

its like they say if it aint broke don't mess with it Now if your putting More stuff in your truck like a amp and TV's and AC Ya i would but if it anit broke why mess with it if you want to do it right instead of ****** rigging it WWW.truckandcarshop.com Has the wire harness that is like 15 to 24.00 it plugs in to your harness that you Already have and run a wire throw the fire wall witch they give you a rubber plug that goes under the speedo cable and the hole is already there you put the rubber plug in run the wire to you fuse panel and you done they give you instructions on how to do it there is no cutting splicing it has a connector for you to plug into just go the the web site go throw the and put alternator conversion kit

Now i'm not one to mess with the factory Harness that M&H makes.I've bought over 12 wiring kits for the countless car's and trucks.

I've built or just wanted to fix and turn and sell.Wiring should be replaced every 30 years cus.I've had 3 truck's have wire fires and it will scare the crap out of you when you have your cab fill up with smoke
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote