The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-29-2011, 08:08 AM   #26
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Re: What's Harvest Edition?

From the link posted by Longhair:
Although the Amish generally prohibit the ownership of automobiles, it is estimated that 30% of Amish boys own cars; 40% have a driver's license; and, 70% have driven a car at some point in their youth.

Before their adult baptism, they are generally free to experiment without fear of excommunication or shunning. In other words, by having an opportunity to "sow their wild oats," Amish youths are granted the choice on whether or not they want to be Amish and follow the rigid regulations which that decision entails.

It is estimated that about 80% of those young Amish adults who rebel, eventually choose to remain Amish.

When I was a teenager, mid 70's, my folks took a trip up to "Amish Country". Seems like every other house had either a Camaro, Nova or Chevelle. Jacked up with Cragars - big and littles, again mid-70's era correct look.

We inquired about the cars. We were told that the teenagers had the cars and if they decided to "join the church" it was at that time that they would give up the cars.

I grew up in farm country north of Dayton, Ohio and went to school with some kids who's parents were Amish or some derivation thereof. A farm kid that was a couple years older than me had a beautifull black 70-1/2 Camaro Z-28. Again, jacked up rear, Cragar tricks all the way around and N-50's on the rear. During open lunch break we would hang out at the local grocery store. The farm kids mom would sometimes show up there driving the Camaro... the car loping up the street would pull up to the curb and this little woman in her long dress and little bonnet would climb out.

While I certainly don't know the rules of their religion or if this was some derivation of the Amish church, I do know what I experienced.......

Religion... all sorts of derivations. It's all out there. I find it all interesting, yet believe almost none of it.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 05-29-2011 at 08:39 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Re: What's Harvest Edition?

Or,maybe they were Mennonite as Mike mentioned was possible.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote