The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
newagecustom
c10 Chop Artist

WIW 72 burb 3/4 ton

Looking at a package deal for a couple trucks. One of them is a 72 3/4 ton suburban 2wd. It's has factory front and rear a/c, power steering, power brakes. He has all 3 seats and everything to put the truck together except the engine and transmission. All the rocker panels, rust repair, etc has already been done and the whole thing has been bodyworked. Whats a fair value for this as is and if i put it back together? I'm not really interested in this, just after another truck that is part of the deal so i would end up selling this if i get it.
Attached Images

newagecustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
dan42

Re: WIW 72 burb 3/4 ton

IMO they aren't worth near as much when they are in a million pieces, body work done or not. There's a lot of work to get that one back on the road.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
vectorit
What?

In that condition, pretty much scrap prices are in play.
I have found that "projects" like this, require all work to be redone due to neglect. As in rust on fresh body work, or damaged fixes requiring repair.

It's a slippery slope, and the person selling is gonna lose their shorts. But buyer beware.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
71swb4x4

If you buy the burb either expect to fire-sale it as a unit or part it out. One way you won't get much money, the other way takes a lot of time and effort. I think you would be lucky to get $1,000 for it in pieces, but it's really hard to say until you know exactly what you get with it and the condition of everything. If the body work was done correctly, it may be worth a lot more than $1,000. Maybe up to $3,000????
Old 06-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
newagecustom
c10 Chop Artist

I have known the owner of this for a long time and his bodywork is excellent. He always puts por-15 on everything when he does rust repair, i'm not worried about that. He knows and is prepared to take a big loss on it. I have built plenty of vehicles so if i end up getting it i will probably end up putting it back together with the 454 he has. I just wasn't sure what the value of a burb with alot of options was.
newagecustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
vectorit
What?

In that state of condition, I'd say options from the factory are meaningless.

I mean, you could put all the options you want on it now and no one would care.

IMO options from the factory only play a roll in pricing, if the rig is unmolested, well taken care of, and all original from the factory with a SPID to reference.

If it were me standing there with the owner and is a friend, I'd find out what he hopes to get from it and work from there if he is in a price range worthy of the condition. Then focus on the parts that are valuable, like the drive train, front clip, axle, all three seats, gauge cluster, and then price the boxes of loose parts. Take all those totals, and make an offer for the entire project.

To me, I look at the time it will take to assemble everything to get it to a point I want. (Time is money).

The last Suburban shell I saw get sold just a month ago, went for a hundred bucks. Though it was not a rust free or gone over by a skilled body man.

I have seen projects like this in buddies back yards, and they ended up paying a scrapper to take it all away...

All that being said. From what I see, that project looks expensive no matter how cheap you get it.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote