The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #26
acool66

Re: Barn Find 1966 LWB fleetside

I wanted to bag also because they looked cool parked, but I listened to people that have done it and they told me about the maintenance and how you can get in so deep with the cost of this and that valves...lines... tanks and BLA BLA BLA. Look at this package you can go very low without any cutting and still get dam tough look and the safety of disk brakes, and get your front end rebuilt . I like mine and people seem to as well http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...6772GSK-5D.htm
acool66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:49 AM   #27
jaredbaker919

I noticed all of cpp's disk kits always say may not work with factory drum brake wheels. Does anyone know if the factory steelies will work with the 6 lug disk conversion?
jaredbaker919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:51 AM   #28
jaredbaker919

acool66 can you post some pics of your truck with the kit on it?
Old 06-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #29
jocko

NICE truck, wow, they're only that original once! Really nice find and a good price too. I did a little diggin, I thought maybe POL made a drop drum spindle - but I was mistaken, they just make one that allows stock ball joints (vice the '71-'87 upgrade). My advice (which is worth NOTHING!) would be to wait and do it WITH a disk brake upgrade, or like you mentioned earlier, you'll be doing one upgrade - then UNdoing it to do the next one. Best to git er dun all at once, even if it means you have to save up a little longer to do it. Sounds like with the level of upgrades you mentioned, you would eventually want to go wtih disks in the front at least in the future at some point. I do agree with some of the comments that this is a great candidate for keepin er pretty stock - but I also understand that dilemma all too well - I sold a really nice 65 impala ss with a big block because i couldn't bring myself to hot rod it because it was SO original, it really was a nice car, but I had a lot of plans for it and if I had excecuted them, it would've cut the value of the car in half. Nice thing about our trucks - aside from their keen good lines(!) - and one reason I bought mine was because it IS a truck and it didn't cost an arm and a leg, and there is no "SS" option and no "big block" option, yada yada yada - so there really is no harm in doing exactly what you want - like oem4me mentioned - do what makes you happy! and you'll have the most fun - that's good advice. But also note that much fun can be had by doing very little to it and driving the someting-er-other out of it as Clyde said... Also good advice - everything is much more fun when it's moving.

REALLY nice truck, congrats.

Last edited by jocko; 06-04-2011 at 08:53 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:48 PM   #30
acool66

Nope Jared factory steelies will NOT work with disk brakes. I changed to 5 lug, I liked the five spoke look best. But you can have your wheels modified to fit. Here is a company a friend used all because he wanted his factory caps. http://www.rallyamerica.com/contactus/index.html It did cost $$$$$ with shipping and, not worth it in my opinion. If you found someone localy the cost I think is very resonable. Also companies like http://www.wheelvintiques.com/ can get the job done with a factory kind of look with a baby moon cap not a factory cap. The short version is... disk brakes = aftermarket wheels.
Attached Images

acool66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #31
jaredbaker919

Just had a buddy do some pinstriping on my valve covers and air cleaner. He is just getting into the hobby and needed some things to practice on. This is pretty much his first work. I think it came out pretty good. Sorry to you oem guys for messing up my engine I just thought I needed some color under the hood. And yes I know the engine compartment is dirty.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #32
dtkarst

I want that steering wheel! haha
dtkarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:46 AM   #33
Slammed66
Needs a Big Block

Wicked cool truck !!! cant wait to see it low!

Kinda of weird to see such an optioned up truck with the basic heater in it.

Killer audio setup too!!
1972 K10
Slammed66 is offline   Reply With Quote