The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #26
chevyman95

Re: people crushing 1967 to 1972 truck part's ! CRAZY !

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
if anyone has a conscience they can feel better about what they've done.
It's just a truck at the end of the day, there are so much bigger things in life to worry about than saving a couple parts.

I have parted and scrapped several 73-87 trucks and have had to scrap many good parts simply because I couldn't find a buyer at any price. I scrapped a front clip from a 1977 chevy that was an 8/10. I listed it for $250, then $200, then $125, then finally for a week at $75 because well that would be better than nothing. Finally I had to scrap it due to space constraints.
chevyman95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #27
MARKDTN

I just got back from the crusher with 880# of non-auto scrap that was laying around. $12.50 a hundred for cars or shredder scrap! And if I had had the time to take it downtown to PSC it would have been even more. In 30 minutes I left, went there, unloaded, got paid, cashed the check at the bank, and came back. I love parting out cars and things, but the hassle of dealing with Ebay and Cragslist or swap meets and packing it and shipping it and storing it and moving it around is getting less and less worth it. If scrap prices stay this high, unfortunately, there will be casualties of old cars. I sold a '76 Jaguar XJ12L on Ebay about 2 months ago. All there, but had a "Fred Flinstone" floor, no key, dry inside, clean title, been sitting a few years, engine not locked up. I had to list it 3 times, had a non-paying bidder, and finally got $650 out of it. It weighed about 3500#. If I had crushed it whole, it would have brought $440. If I cut out the radiator and heater cores, and mined for aluminum and copper I would have been way better off financially than the $650-and I had to give Ebay about $50 of that-but I hated to just cut it up. If it had not sold that 3rd time though, it was going to the crusher. My point is this,
1) be a nice consumer when dealing with parts sellers. They may take a loss to sell to you. If you bid on Ebay and you win-follow through. If you make an appointment to look at something, follow through.

2) Don't expect to buy for less than scrap value. I love old stuff too, but at the end of the day when I get ready to sell I want to maximize profit to pay for the next project. Don't you?

3) Don't nickle and dime them to death. To sell on Ebay or set up at a swap meet (this is a whole different thread, but many of you have no idea what it costs to be a vendor at a major show between fuel, food, booth space, and lodging) takes time, money, and effort. Be considerate. If you don't want to pay my price, don't buy. I've done my research and I know about what it is worth. Don't insult me with a pennies on the dollar offer unless I have really missed something. Please. I have a friend that is in the Corvette restoration business. I go with him to one of the major shows every few years. In 2005 we had an aftermarket hood for a '62. It was rough, but priced to move at $10. There was a guy that came around 4-5 times trying to buy it for $5. He wanted to use it on a car to run a blower for a while and not ruin his original hood. My friend finally told him-if it isn't worth $10 it isn't worth anything. We ended up throwing it away, but it was very satisfying. There is a difference in an offer and an insult, and being persistant and being annoying.

My .02
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #28
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ok, just in my case. Most shipping is required to do during the work week. I work during the work week. Trucks are just a hobby for me. My company wouldn't really like me loading up my little Scion with big truck parts and taking the time to ship the big stuff. I do sell an occasional small part and ship though.

Today I got to work early and boxed up a buddy bucket rear seat bracket to UPS to one of our young board members (15) as a freebie to him. Whatever the shipping costs I give that cash to the owner and he has some walking around money.

I also boxed up all my door hinges to send down to TxFirefighter for complete rebuild and nice shiny black powder coat.

So we all support our hobby and truck buds one way or another. I didn't have to give a rare part to a member, and I didn't have to ship parts all the way to Texas to have them done. But I want to support people on this site to the best of my ability (without it being a pain in my butt LOL).
Old 07-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #29
leddzepp

About a year ago I offered up a "take off" OEM tailgate and decided I would give shipping a try. I did my homework. BEFORE even posting a for sale ad, I took the gate to Fed Ex and got shipping quotes to 12 different major cities across the US. I took seventeen (yes, 17) pictures of the gate mounted on my truck, open, closed, off the truck, sideways, back, front, and every angle you could imagine. I posted it up, selling it for 1/2 the price other "take-off" tailgates were being sold for at the time. I got a lot of nice comments on how it was a great deal. It sold very quickly. I shrink wrapped it heavily, and then wrapped it in heavy cardboard on top of that. Know what happened? The dude that bought it accused me of misrepresenting it, and basically wanted his money back. That ruined it for me. For that reason, I no longer ship any sheetmetal, or body parts. It is not worth my time or the hassle.

I put up a pair of original paint, dent free, rust free LWB bedsides on C/L for $50. No shipping, local pick-up only. I wanted whomever bought them to put their hands on them and see for themselves the condition. Know what happened? I got 3 different guys show up and offer me between $10 and $30. I told one guy I was increasing the price to $100, so he could offer me $50. I ended up hauling them off for scrap.

In my experience, people need to feel like they "stole" something...a good deal isn't "good" enough it seems. It's almost like the lower the price, the higher the expectation is of the condition of the part.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #30
m6z

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
It must be a geographical thing. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't panic if I saw that because there would be 10-15 trucks just down the road. I love seeing the threads "should I buy it". It's amazing what trucks will fetch in different parts of the country. I live in the dry belt where rust isn't a big deal and parts are not hard to find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
x 2. You can't even give away sheetmetal here.
Quote:
I don't care where you live,it's just plum ignorant to scrap a useful thing no matter what it is. There are intelligent people who live where rust isn't an issue who make good money selling parts to those in places where rust is a concern. I just bought a pair of rust free '67 doors for a price combined with shipping for what one Taiwan door that doesn't fit costs and would also have to be shipped. I've bought every part to build my '67 either from people who haul parts to eastern swap meets or had them shipped here from out west,after buying them from the parts board on this site.
I can get $.60 a pound for a roll of aluminum trim coil stock at the scrap yard,which probably adds up to about $20. It's worth about $100 as a building material that you can make $500 labor off of by fabricating and installing trim. But,people steal it and scrap it anyway. I don't know,it just seems stupid to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
You have spare parts, you put em up for sale at a reasonable price, you add shipping, the part isn't reasonable any more. So the person wants the part for less because shipping is so high. So instead you sell parts, but no shipping. People look at parts and start nit picking little things to get you to drop your already reasonable price so they can get the "deal". Pretty soon its not fun anymore. So you put your decent usable parts in with the crappy scrap parts and haul it all away, no muss no fuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry moss View Post
i quit buying sheetmetal just for this reason-unless i need it myself i walk on by. shipping big stuff is stupid expensive and the yards around here are always getting 67-72s so if i need a part i just go look around. it really hurts to leave nice stuff behind, knowing it'll be headed to china soon. i know a guy that deals in 67 up trucks and he keeps the prime sheetmetal to sell to local buyers and the so so stuff gets picked up by a longhaul trucker once or twice a month to go east, my buddy sells it to him cheap so he can turn a profit once he gets home. i used to scrap 55-57 chevy cars when i was in high school in the 70s. back then you could buy them for 100 bucks or less and make a few bucks to fix my own 56-now you can't buy a fender for what i paid for running cars. when i got into 67-72 trucks in the mid 80s the prices were super cheap and i junked some nice trucks just to get options/accessories for my own and sold or scrapped the leftovers.
Quote:
I think buying an OEM rust free door (with hinges) for $100 and paying $80 to ship it 3,000 miles to a place where rust free doors rarely exist is a bargain. I think buying an OEM rust free fender for $75 and paying $75 for shipping is a bargain. I know that's way more than you get for scrap,too.
I can see both sides of the arguement. Space, convience, shipping, profit, etc. But in reality these trucks are going to slowly become harder and harder to find orginal parts for. All the one out here rust away and all the ones in the dry states are crushed time and time again for scrap value.

Looking for a 67-72 short bed driver.....

Last edited by m6z; 07-18-2011 at 01:30 PM.
m6z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #31
68 IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19673ontree View Post
here is some pics this stuff is not califorina perfect parts but it DID NOT need to be crushed !
Wish you were closer!

Last edited by leddzepp; 07-18-2011 at 03:43 PM.
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #32
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19673ontree View Post
what would be wrong with someone to crush a part that people need for these classic truck's ? I mean companie's spend money on top of money to reproduce these part's cause they are hard to find ? and then someone will crush them ? I DON'T GET IT !
ever here, one mans trash is........................

not everyone is into these trucks..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:27 PM   #33
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Now i do hear of a way to By pass that its Called Drop shipping there is a place here in Ontario Calif its a where house that if you want to ship engines or rear ends or sheet metal its cheaper.It dose not get delivered to the guys address It gets delivered to a transport station and its on will Call you show up to the where house with your recite and they have a loading dock and you back your truck up to and you load it that's what most of these engine company's do let me know of some feed back on that stsalvage@yahoo.com Has any one of yo used that way of shipping
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #34
68 IRON

Ouch! I got Zepped! I was just kidding
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #35
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
Don't nickle and dime them to death. In 2005 we had an aftermarket hood for a '62. It was rough, but priced to move at $10. There was a guy that came around 4-5 times trying to buy it for $5. He wanted to use it on a car to run a blower for a while and not ruin his original hood. My friend finally told him-if it isn't worth $10 it isn't worth anything. We ended up throwing it away, but it was very satisfying. There is a difference in an offer and an insult, and being persistant and being annoying.
Just last year durring our annual april swap meet, I watched a guy bend an NOS 58 impala fender spear (worth $250-$300) three times over after another local area seller made five straight offers/insults for said part on the first day of the meet with the last offer being waved around in his face. You should of seen the look on the lowballers face when the piece was folded over and over and then offered to him at his lowball price, with Gary saying that he could now relax w/o being bothered the rest of the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
ever here, one mans trash is........................
not everyone is into these trucks..
Quote:
When a truck gets crushed it's not just rust free parts that are lost. Things like seat belts and countless other "desirable" parts survive just as well in all parts of the country and are getting crushed along with everything else. And,all so someone can get pennies on a dollar or because selling things is a hassle. What a shame.
What they said................ Mel
Attached Images

Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #36
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Last two pics.....
Attached Images

Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:41 AM   #37
HeavyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
I put up a pair of original paint, dent free, rust free LWB bedsides on C/L for $50. No shipping, local pick-up only. I wanted whomever bought them to put their hands on them and see for themselves the condition. Know what happened? I got 3 different guys show up and offer me between $10 and $30. I told one guy I was increasing the price to $100, so he could offer me $50. I ended up hauling them off for scrap.
Oh man, I feel kind of ill. Totally understand they had to go, but still saddens me. I sold a beat, and I mean BEAT (rusted, dented, you name it) lwb side for $200 and the guy is all happy about it. The fact you couldn't get 50 bucks is simply bizarre
Old 07-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #38
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
Now i do hear of a way to By pass that its Called Drop shipping there is a place here in Ontario Calif its a where house that if you want to ship engines or rear ends or sheet metal its cheaper.It dose not get delivered to the guys address It gets delivered to a transport station and its on will Call you show up to the where house with your recite and they have a loading dock and you back your truck up to and you load it that's what most of these engine company's do let me know of some feed back on that stsalvage@yahoo.com Has any one of yo used that way of shipping
All the major shipping/trucking companies will hold at the dock for less cost than a residential delivery.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:46 AM   #39
stroked69

I was once told by a guy that runs a big scrap yard "its just weight to us". He trades goods parts for equal weight in anything you can find. One other thing that i have found when you need to ship something that is large. Find someone that works for a large company that gets large shipments on freight trucks in everyday and ask if you can use there account and have it shipped to there facility. Most large companys get 50 to 90 percent discount on there shipping bills because of there volume. Then you pay them.
stroked69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:07 AM   #40
PhileCool

I think crushing Ole cars and trucks & parts that are usable is a shame. It's just like the people that have them in their yard and won't sell 4 anything, they would rather just let them rust into the ground???? I don't get it either.
PhileCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #41
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

I can see with rust free parts or rare parts etc, but the fact is with anything else and being in a residential area sometimes you have to cut your losses and clean your space, most of my truck went to the scrap yard and it doesn't bother me a bit. The hard to find parts guys and friends that needed/wanted them picked them over and the rest I was glad(neighbors more so) to watch it go. cab is gone to a friend to be cut to pieces for patches on his grandfathers old truck, box was horse traded, fenders and extra front clip were scrapped, old suspension etc all scrapped, had online classified ads for 2 weeks and got sick of the eyesore. I'm a big fan of these trucks like everyone else but when you cant give them away, you may as well recycle them
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote