The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Shortbox MoneyPit

Vent Window Debate: rebuild vrs repop

Ok People, I just rebuilt my hinges and got my doors aligned. I also put in new window regulators (the old ones were almost rusted in place). I'm debating about the vent window. I've read some threads here on how to replace them and i see that redoing the rivets isn't the easiest of tasks. I could just buy a new set of complete vent windows, but I've also read that some people don't think they fit right or aren't good quality - so I'm wondering about your opinion. Also, if you've found a place that sells a GOOD replacement, let me know. Thanks

Shortbox MoneyPit
Shortbox MoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
mbgmike

Re: Vent Window Debate: rebuild vrs repop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbox MoneyPit View Post
Ok People, I just rebuilt my hinges and got my doors aligned. I also put in new window regulators (the old ones were almost rusted in place). I'm debating about the vent window. I've read some threads here on how to replace them and i see that redoing the rivets isn't the easiest of tasks. I could just buy a new set of complete vent windows, but I've also read that some people don't think they fit right or aren't good quality - so I'm wondering about your opinion. Also, if you've found a place that sells a GOOD replacement, let me know. Thanks

Shortbox MoneyPit
I would rebuild them.Its not real hard. It can take some time the first time. I you want you can chrome the vent frame. Thats the most expensive part in the rebuild

The reproduction ones are not real bad but the chrome on them rusts real quick if you don't take care of it. As far As I know COunterpart is the only one having these made and its what most companies sell.Thats waht we sell so you won't have much choice.
I would always rebuild if you have the time.

We sell a good tool for the revits but it can be done without it.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #3
06082project72

can you rebuild them relatively easy and what intails for a job like this? do you sell the new parts and glass
06082project72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #4
GMCPaul

Rebuilding of the vent window assemblies in our customers opinions is a real PITA!! Most state it takes them from 4-6 hours to do a pair of them and it almost always entails 2-3 people working together to get them done correctly. In regards to reproductions there are definately 2 manufacturers of these and we found from experience in our opinion that the counter parts brand vent window assemblies are extremely POOR QUALITY, they must have next to no quality control resulting in us in the past having to order 10 to find 2-3 good ones, they appear to not use a assembly jig on them or if they do use one they must not be setting it up right as we've found rivets that weren't fully tightened resulting in loose distorted frames, the 90degree angle bracket below base of frame installed at wrong height resulting in a distorted frame and gaps at glass seal, improperly placed mounting holes, etc.... Which is why we dropped the counter parts brand until the latest manufacturer WI came out with the ones we now carry. We've found if we order 10 from WI we get 10 that fit correctly. So ask any vendor you intend to buy from if they are manufactured by Counter Parts and if they say yes and you still intend to buy from them ask if they will continue to send you replacements in exchange for any bad ones until you finally get a good pair of them. We haven't carried the Counter Parts brand for around 3-4 years now but based upon the # of people that contact us looking for correct fitting after having problems with Counter Parts vent windows we don't think they have improved upon them since dropping them.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
72gmcshorty

how is the chrome on the WI brand?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #6
mbgmike

Its really only a one person job. the first on anything takes the longest and if you have skills at all its NOT that hard. I still know you will get a better product rebuilding the oem ones. I've done many of these rebuilds just quit cause its is too labor intensive to make a profit
Old 08-06-2011, 11:38 PM   #7
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06082project72 View Post
can you rebuild them relatively easy and what intails for a job like this? do you sell the new parts and glass
Yes we sell all the parts but many other companies do to. There is a good post by alans classics in the 60-66 section on the rebuild I beleave. One good tip is from someone on here was to leave the pivot revit in place and drill out the revits on the frame. If you can chew bubble gum you can rebuild one
Old 08-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #8
darkone

ill sell you mine, just need rivets. ive repainted all the components and frame gloss black. i even replaced the rubber! im going chrome, but have yet to find an affordable pair... they're spendy!
darkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Good thread.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
mbgmike

Here is link to rebuild in 60-66 section
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=351471
Old 08-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
GMCPaul

72gmcshorty in the 2 years that the new ones have been out we have yet to hear anything negative about them yet about the Chrome or anything else.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
Shortbox MoneyPit

Thanks for the feedback everyone, especially Paul Jr. As a consumer I appreciate it when you can find out which companies are consistent in their products and quality. I think I'm going to give a try at rebuilding mine. I'm planning to paint them with a POR-15 gloss black and use a rebuild kit with new rubber. Thanks all.

Shortbox MoneyPit
Shortbox MoneyPit is offline   Reply With Quote