The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
lil hoodlum

Factory original?

I am considering restoring my truck or another one back to factory original.

What resources are out there for a restorer to find part numbers, pictures, correct colors used etc.? I know this board is a huge resource of information. Any information I have found has been through searching old theads here on the board. I have used unsuccessfully google and yahoo search engines for image pictures. I do have a Chevrolet small block parts interchange manual which has alot of information but is lacking color pictures.

My ultimate dream build, if money and time weren't a factor, would be to restore one of these trucks back to correct factory original form. I have recently begun buying some correct parts from the parts for sale section and that has been a big help.

I just wondering what other resources are out there. Thank you for your help.

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
lil hoodlum

Re: Factory original?

Factory picture.

Keith
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
lil hoodlum

Does anybody have any ideas what resources are out there?

Keith
Old 08-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #4
bollybib

This should give you an idea of what is out there if you look around --> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=202741

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
lil hoodlum

Thanks Bollybib for the reply and an idea of where to start. I spent several hours on Ebay yesturday and order a few things that will hopefully help. I appreciate your input.

Anybody else have any ideas or can help point me in the right direction to look for resources such as original pictures, part #s, or would like to post pictures of your restored ride.

Thanks! Keith
Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

well I like factory But i've seen some things from the factory that are plain scary.And reason why GM ended up canceling options that would of done more bad then good.Now i build a 1972 3/4 ton as stock as i can get it.But for the truck i built was needed to be dependable.So updates where installed Like the HEI the Better sound guard and anti rust materiel that protects the floor from rusting and cancer.Now these is one thing No matter How you go about it and I've talked to More custom builders about this one thing and they all say the same thing the rubber for the doors trunks hoods seals are not made like they where back when the truck was built.something you will have to live with.My 1972 3/4 ton i spent over 15000.00 On it and all i'm going to do to it is beat the crap out of it.I will use it like how you people use a new truck now days and i bet mine is still left standing.Always wanted a new truck so i built one But i will use it as a truck Not a classic car that me

So if you want stock it can be done but the points and the Rochester carbs are a thing of the past I rebuilt my 4V carb 11 times the parts are getting hard to come buy and a lot of little parts.I like the new Carter carbs from edalbrock better on Gas and there alum intakes make the engines breath better and with gas here in Calif at 3.77 i need all the help
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

I did a quick search on Amazon and found this. I've not seen it, but it looks interesting.

How to Restore Your Chevrolet Pickup How to Restore Your Chevrolet Pickup
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
48richard

Take a look at this:
http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/

Richard
Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 AM   #9
prairewolf

my thought would be to find an unrestored unmolested original and look at it. .... one member on here just showed an inherited 68 one owner he got from his Uncle..... the track record/history of a truck can be reasonably proven with a few right questions. ......... Concours Car Show Judges might take the fun out of it if they look at the heads of the screws and bolts though.

good luck with a cool project. .... kent
Old 08-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
cdowns

the factory assembly manuals are available cheap in reprint form available from alot of board vendors shows alot of the small important details in an accurate restoration

for supplies i've found this company has a great selection of correct stuff/either mailorder or they setup at alot of major swapmeets and shows with show discounts

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #11
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Try to find a Truck Data Book for your year model. These are the books that Chevy dealers used to order new vehicles, whether for stocking the lot or for someone when they special-ordered a new vehicle. If it is intact, it will have information about every Chevy truck that was available, from El Camino's and the C-series trucks, and including G-series vans and sportwagons, the big trucks and bus chassis' as well as color charts, tire data and so forth. You can take the book and "build" your own dream truck, if you like. You'll know what options were available from the factory, as well as what the dealer could get and install. If you wanted to order a step van with an aluminum body and specific doors for your purposes, the info is there.

I bought mine several years ago from another member, in Phoenix. I also bought a factory shop manual at a flea market in Zephyrhills, FL. The assembly manual that is sold by a number of vendors, is a compilation of assembly sheets (copies) used by the assemblers on the lines at the factory. There is very little organization, aside from keeping the sheets in order by year of use. Beyond that, you're on your own for learning where the assembly instruction is. There is NO index.

John Gunnell has written two books about Chevy truck history. The first one covers the years 1918 thru 1995. He reprised that book to include the later models, a few years ago. There's "The Chevrolet Pickup Red Book", which has some basic information and covers the years 1946-1972. You could throw it into your glove box, for reference when you're out looking for truck stuff. You can decode SPID sheets, with the info in it for the '67-72's.

Custom Classic Truck magazine (our of production) and Classic Truck magazine along with Street Truck, Truckin' and other truck-related magazines frequently have good info about what is being built and modified. Check out flea markets for old magazines, as well as the other books that may interest you.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
drwright68

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/ is a good source. I am always looking for other sources as well.
drwright68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
hjewell2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
the factory assembly manuals are available cheap in reprint form available from alot of board vendors shows alot of the small important details in an accurate restoration

for supplies i've found this company has a great selection of correct stuff/either mailorder or they setup at alot of major swapmeets and shows with show discounts

http://www.restorationspecialties.com/
Yep they have every nut bolt washer screw Etc you could ever need.
hjewell2 is offline   Reply With Quote