The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
paducahshane

Re: labor knock turned into major pain!

Really? never heard of labor knock...hmm Must be an old school or Kentucky shade tree thing... nope just Googled it and it is a pretty common term. Just a simple way of saying "knocking under load" as I understand it. Usually caused by bad gas, timming out of wack, lifter going down etc. ect. Never had a blown head gasket cause it before though.

Got the JBweld pit repair off of a bmw forum and a few other sites. from what I read seems to be standard practice and was said to be a BMW recomendation. Someone could been out of there head but I found it in several differnt lacations. I don't expect it to last too long, but I have seen stranger things happen. Let you know when/if it goes.

I cleaned the mating sufaces realy good. Got all the bits out of the pitting, sprayed her down with carb cleaner. Aplied small amount of JBweld to the effected pitting/spidering areas, working it. With a 2" putty knife at a 90deg angle removed the excess, sanded it smooth and polished with rubbing compound. I have to say, it did fill nicely and made a remarkably smooth surface. My other option was to junk both head and block. Build a new engine or order a crate. Either way, I would be without my truck for a week, and out at least $1200. Hmm, $20 for a gasket and some JBweld, worth a try.