The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
Arekusu

Building a 64 street strip truck, need advice

Hey all,

I am hopeing to run about a 12.5 in the 1/4, am I on the right path? I bought a 454 bbc to drop into the truck, I know I probally could have done it with my small block but I kind of wanted to build a big block , and it was the right price.

Specs : 454 .030 over

cam I'm planning to buy:
comp cam xtreme energy XE268H
224 / 230 duration @ .050
.515 / .520 lift
110 lobe seperation

heads: oval ports # 3964290
2.06 intake 1.72 exhaust
closed chamber
(would rather not chane the heads if I don't have to)

flat top pistons

Edelbrock preformer RPM intake

holley 750

-- What I "think" I know--

I need to make somewhere between 450-500 hp to run a 12.5 in the 1/4 and go somewhere near 115mph

Big blocks like compression, and most preformance cams require it. I'm guessing that with a compressed head gasket thickness of .041 I should have somewhere near 9:1 compression?

My stock crank and connecting rods should be good for up to 600 hp. So I don't feel like I should change anything except adding ARP main bolts (or studs?) and ARP wave loc connecting rod bolts. Should I balance the rotating assembly?

Anyone have a 168 tooth flywheel recomendation and clutch and pressure plate recomendation that will work well? I have a stock 168 tooth flywheel now, do I need a better one? More rotating mass (heavey flywheel) is better for drag racing correct?

I'm running a TKO 500 5 speed (still street driven, don't want an auto) but I was thinking I should use 3.55, or 3.40 to use more of the big blocks torque band for my cam choice.

Tire size - I was thinking about a 29'' tire by 10 - 10.5'' wide. Hopefully this will let it hook up? Are stamped steel rims ok to accompolish this?

Suspension - So far stock except for 4'' lowering springs in the back, adjustable panhard bar and new shocks,

rolling into the next topic

rear differential -

Planning on a Moser 9'' of some sort, with the new wave track locker. 35 spline axles.. hopefully I never break it.

So the goal is 12.5 in the 1/4. I still plan on driving this on the street a few times a week, rain or shine. So am I close? What should I change?

Alex
Arekusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Re: Building a 64 street strip truck, need advice

Read up on super 73' post's
He has hooking up a trailing arm rear and needed mods to front suspension setup which is equally important to hooking a truck up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Your engine combo is identical to the 461 in my '66 Suburban, with the exception of the heads. IMO you're not going to get to 12.5 with that engine combo.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
Arekusu

What would I need to change to get to 12.5? Is the cam not enough?
Old 09-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #5
Arekusu

Bump

I'm looking at other builds others have done and they have a bit more cam. Is this why? Could my heads support more cam effeciently?

Should this be moved to the engine section?

Alex
Old 09-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

1. Are you sure about the compression? If the engine has been redone, are you sure the heads have not been altered, or that there were no modifications to the deck height or anything like that?

More cam might help, but you could spray a little on what you have and hit your time goals if you can hook. Seen plenty of cars go WAY faster on a 10.5" tire. Not sure about how a stamped wheel holds up, but I have welded steel wheels and they hold up just fine.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I'm not an engine expert, but I would say you will need to upgrade your heads to 2.19/1.88 valves. I'm not sure what the 290 heads flow as compared to say the 049/781 heads, so I don't know if that would really help you or not. Then you will need to bump up the cam a bit, and at the same time the compression needs to come up to support the larger cam.

Or you could spray it as BR3W CITY mentioned.

And of course with the increased power comes the challenge of getting it to hook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arekusu View Post
Bump

I'm looking at other builds others have done and they have a bit more cam. Is this why? Could my heads support more cam effeciently?

Should this be moved to the engine section?

Alex
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Arekusu

Thanks for the responces. I'm really not looking to spray at this time.. maybe later but for now, just motor. Keeps me in budget and makes it easier for me.

The oval port 290's are suppose to have

an intake port volume of around 260cc
101 cc combustion chamber (closed chamber)

it has flat top pistons in it (pulled the head off)

I don't know if the heads have been changed (but a valve job will be done so things will get verified once at the machine shop)

I'm basing the fact that these heads will work just fine by seeing the peanut port builds do well and knowing that with the flat tops and smaller combustion chamber, I should be in the range for a decent compression ratio.

The block was rebuild 20+ years ago, the bores look new, but I don't know if the deck height has changed at all.. I'm not sure if bearings are still good for 20+ years with break in compound on them...so I was just going to rebuild the short block, not sure if I need bearings or not.. but right not to the best of my knowlede they should be new.

I e-mailed lunati and they reccomended voodoo cam# 60203

227/233 @ .050
.542/.554 lift
LSA-110 intake centerline of 106

I understand that making this work is going to require traction which I'm already at a disadvantage using a truck. I figure moving the fuel tank to the rear and using a limited slip instead of my current oped diff will help me out. Then maybe a shock and spring chane from there.

The truck with 3.73 open diff and my maybe 350hp 350 sbc ran a 9.3 in the 1/8th (only strip in my Fl. area). So I think I'm getting closer with the diff change and engine change.

Thanks for the help so far, right now I'm desk racing from a computer in Afghanistan, making a shoping list so I can get home and put this all together.. it gives me something to do.

Alex
Old 09-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
dougminton

Go with the lunati cam or a little bigger
Find a set of 781 or 049 heads (open chamber flows better) and have the machine shop put 2.19 1.88 valves
that should get you in the high 12s

1972 GMC SWB
454 oval ports
TH400

fastest 1/4 mile time so far
13.05 @ 104

If you think you have too much horsepower
you obviously have a traction problem !
dougminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #10
rollinhard

Buddy of mine has a 454 in his 71 camaro. 781 heads that were cleaned up and 9.8-1 comp and alittl more lift than your going with. He runs a 4 speed standard and launches at 6000 rpm and runs 11.7 in the 1/4. Just for reference. It's a daily driver car aswel
Posted via Mobile Device

1969 GMC lwb 2wheel drive can you say big stroker motor to come hehe
rollinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
BigDan3131

If you need more weight in the rear put not only the tank behind the axle but also your battery/s too. If that ends up not being enough I would look for ballast bars/plates you can use or instead of a back bumper get a 3" x 6" or 2" x 4" box tubing that fits across the width of your truck. Weld two bungs, one on top the other on bottom and fill it with either lead shot or steel shot. You get a heavy duty bumper and ballast bar at the same time.
BigDan3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
Arekusu

Ya, I think I'd use the ballest plates if I need too. We'll see.