The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
DANTIP

Can anyone make Full Wheel Covers Look Right on a K-10??

I think the Full Wheel Covers look awesome on 2-wheel drive trucks (especially with a 3/4-1" White wall tire). Has anyone found a combination that makes them look good on a 4x4? Pictures ???
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
ckexswb
67-72=-5

Re: Can anyone make Full Wheel Covers Look Right on a K-10??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANTIP View Post
I think the Full Wheel Covers look awesome on 2-wheel drive trucks (especially with a 3/4-1" White wall tire). Has anyone found a combination that makes them look good on a 4x4? Pictures ???
Here is mine had it near 20 years and still keep it stock.
Attached Images

ckexswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Nice truck! I've got a set for my K10 but not installed.

Let's see that new GMC Dan!

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
DANTIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckexswb View Post
Here is mine had it near 20 years and still keep it stock.
Very Nice Truck!! The caps MUST be accompanied by a white wall to look good!! Please give us tire details (I assume it's a 235-75-15, but who is the manufacturer, model, etc.). Me thinks I see a Tow-Hook peaking out from under the bumper!!!

Thanks!
DANTIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
jrdv

Not the correct year of hubcaps.
Attached Images

jrdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
ckexswb
67-72=-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANTIP View Post
Very Nice Truck!! The caps MUST be accompanied by a white wall to look good!! Please give us tire details (I assume it's a 235-75-15, but who is the manufacturer, model, etc.). Me thinks I see a Tow-Hook peaking out from under the bumper!!!

Thanks!
Cooper trendsetter a/w radial 235 75 15
ckexswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I only like wheelcovers with narrow whitewalls on anything...period. I can appreciate them on a correct original K/10,but they'd have to go if the truck was mine. If I restored one 100% correct,it would be restored as a truck someone ordered all the optioned,then first thing,went out and bought either wide steel wheels or other period correct custom wheels...like slots. They make no sense at all being on a 4wd. Way to fragile of a look and just goes counter to everything a 4wd is about. Anything they can make it through a 2wd can make it through. But,I still think it's cool GM offered them.
Looks like someone put this back to stock,all but the lift. Too bad you have no choice when it comes to whitewalls past 235/75-15. It sure would be different to see taller whitewall tires for a beefy stock look.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:24 PM   #8
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I only like wheelcovers with narrow whitewalls on anything...period. I can appreciate them on a correct original K/10,but they'd have to go if the truck was mine. If I restored one 100% correct,it would be restored as a truck someone ordered all the optioned,then first thing,went out and bought either wide steel wheels or other period correct custom wheels...like slots. They make no sense at all being on a 4wd. Way to fragile of a look and just goes counter to everything a 4wd is about. Anything they can make it through a 2wd can make it through. But,I still think it's cool GM offered them.
Looks like someone put this back to stock,all but the lift. Too bad you have no choice when it comes to whitewalls past 235/75-15. It sure would be different to see taller whitewall tires for a beefy stock look.
I respectfully disagree about full wheel covers.
I have a set of stock ones for my 4x4 but I'm always worried somebody will take them so I run a set of later model ones like jrdv posted. I put the stock ones on every once in a while when I'm showing off.

The part I disagree about is have you ever had a flat - I have - after plowing snow for an hour or so - I have - and tried to get to the lug nuts through the packed snow - I haven't. I just had to pry off the wheel cover and start cranking. Actually I had to remove the bungee chord tire chain tighteners then pry off the wheel cover and it wasn't just a flat, it was the mother of all flats. I was plowing on the lake and broke through near shore. The combination of ice, mud, tire chain, and torque broke the bead so before I could change the tire I had to jack the front axel of the truck out of the lake, get the front wheels on boards, then proceed to change the tire and drive myself out.

You folks down south have no idea.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
I have a set of stock ones for my 4x4 but I'm always worried somebody will take them so I run a set of later model ones like jrdv posted. I put the stock ones on every once in a while when I'm showing off.

The part I disagree about is have you ever had a flat - I have - after plowing snow for an hour or so - I have - and tried to get to the lug nuts through the packed snow - I haven't. I just had to pry off the wheel cover and start cranking. Actually I had to remove the bungee chord tire chain tighteners then pry off the wheel cover and it wasn't just a flat, it was the mother of all flats. I was plowing on the lake and broke through near shore. The combination of ice, mud, tire chain, and torque broke the bead so before I could change the tire I had to jack the front axel of the truck out of the lake, get the front wheels on boards, then proceed to change the tire and drive myself out.

Special-k is talking about full wheel covers. There's a big difference between wheel covers and hub caps (like what jrdv has).
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post

And the wheel cover didn't pop off on it's own? North south east or west is the same. A wheel cover just screams to pop off,dent,or scrape up as soon as you're in anything deep enough to reach above your rim. And,I see them as an extra PIA in the way when it comes to removing a tire in adverse conditions. I never saw anyone who actually used their 4wd run wheel covers. I don't mind someone respectfully disagreeing with what I say. But,I guess you don't realize,down here we get snow and consequently must clear it away with plows. I've never been to MN and never plowed snow on a lake,so I have no idea about that just like you've never lived in MD and seem to have no idea how our winter weather "can be". We can get storms just as bad as you can. As I've told you before,I have contracted snow plowing so I have experienced many things in many conditions. You can get in quite a pickle being one of the few vehicles out anywhere...you're on your own with you,your truck,and your common sense to survive with. I've only plowed using 3/4t or heavier trucks,so have no experience with wheel covers and plowing snow.

Sorry for the distraction. One thing's for sure as far as this thread goes,I don't think Dan will be plowing any snow with this truck or driving hub deep in any mud. I have no other whitewall wheel cover 4wd pictures to share. It's always been a rare sight to see. I understand wanting to restore to showroom condition but,the way I see it especially if you're not too keen on the wheel cover look,it would be more historically accurate and/or correct to swap something like this because that's what guys who loved trucks enough to order such a nice one did:
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
mo

Thanks CHEXSWB for the inspiration. I have the exact same truck as you but in the tear down stage. just pulled the motor off today to begin a ground up and its just what i needed...a little inspiration. I'm a fan of the dog dish hubcaps myself. looking for a set if anyone has em'

thanks
mo
mo is offline   Reply With Quote