The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Baggerjohn

Steering Box Mods?

I have a 67 C-10 long bed with power steering. Is there anything I can do to get it to turn better? It is easier to turn a dually than my LB. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
OhOneWS6

Re: Steering Box Mods?

I put a 73 up box in my 72. It is 3.5 turns lock to lock instead of 4.5 It feels much better. You will need to use the pitman arm for the 67. You might double check to make sure but as long as the 67-72 boxes are the same this mod will work for you too.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 12-14-2011 at 08:05 PM.
OhOneWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #3
BMERDOC

As far as I know OhOneWS6 is right. I remember something about swapping "car" guts for "truck" guts is viable but not needed. If it means anything my BMW is 3.25 LTL and is very quick. Swap in a later box and see what you think. I have a manual 67 and hate it! Its the top thing I dont like about my truck and cant wait till I get something better. I think mine is over 5 LTL!! I dread parking lots and tight manuevers!
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
OhOneWS6

Just wanted to clarify what I was trying to say. I know 71-72 will swap with the 73-86 boxes (73-77 is a direct bolt on, 78-86 is metric o-ring fittings. There are a couple of ways to make the 78-86 boxes work.) I am not sure that 67 is the same as 72. If 67 is the same as 72 then the later box will work for you. Hopefully that makes sense.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

67 was a ram assist.If there is a hydralic ram mounted between the frame and center link then that's what you got.If I had that I would first make sure the front suspension was in good shape.Then I would swap the factory manual box out for a 73 up box.That should give you factory steering comparable to a 73 long bed.The lock to lock will be the 3 1/2 instead of the 4 1/2 turns.I'm not sure about the pressure/volume of the pump.Hopefully someone will chime in with that info.
Second choice is to rebuild the ram assist.Some have done it but IIRC parts is scarce.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Quick ratio itegral gears are 75 up. The 67 chassis is not set up for the integral power rteering gear. Your frame needs to be dimpled for the gear to bolt on and your radiator core support mount needs to be notched. Some people have bolted the gears on by using spacers, including me, however this will make your truck unconfortible to drive. Spacing the gear off the frame will make your gear run off center making your steering twitchy. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Thanks Wes,I was sure I was forgetting something.He will also need to use the pitman arm that works with the PS box and is the length for a 67.IIRC a 68 Pitman arm would work but specify a PS one since the shaft is different from a manual.

There should be a ton of info if you do a search.Seems like there is a FAQ on it also.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
1968SWBBigBlock

Only word of caution- these trucks are very top heavy - if you turn them to fast they tend to roll over on thier top.
When I had my gearbox rebuilt the sped it up but not as fast as they could go for the above reason - it was thier suggestion and I think a wise one
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggerjohn View Post
I have a 67 C-10 long bed with power steering. Is there anything I can do to get it to turn better? It is easier to turn a dually than my LB. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Question: Are you referring to the ease of turning the steering wheel or the radius turn of the truck itself?

If it's the steering is too stiff and it has the ram assist, you can go to the gearbox as mentioned above.

If it's the radius turning of the truck, there probably isn't too much you can do. The gearbox has lock to lock mechanism that may be different between different years, but you probably won't notice a significant change there.

I have tried two different gear ratios on my 68 -a quick ratio 2.5 lock to lock and a slower one at (IIRC) about 3.5 lock to lock. Both were about the same on the turning radius of the truck but I prefer the 3.5 one. It seems a little more stable on the highway.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
Baggerjohn

Thank you everyone. It looks like I'm going to have to live with the factory box.
The problem I have is not being able to turn as sharply as I would like. Sometimes
it take two tries to get into a parking space. Again, thank you all for your input.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
WAAF
Account Suspended

so the 75-77 box is the better box without having to change the lines..
2 by4 and 4by4 the same box?
WAAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #12
OhOneWS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAAF View Post
so the 75-77 box is the better box without having to change the lines..
2 by4 and 4by4 the same box?
Yes on the years. I believe 2X4 and 4X4 are the same box just different pitman arm.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #13
jayssunm

What didn't you like about the 2.5 vs. 3.5? I have stock non PS on my 67 and NEED a change to make it a daily driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Question: Are you referring to the ease of turning the steering wheel or the radius turn of the truck itself?

If it's the steering is too stiff and it has the ram assist, you can go to the gearbox as mentioned above.

If it's the radius turning of the truck, there probably isn't too much you can do. The gearbox has lock to lock mechanism that may be different between different years, but you probably won't notice a significant change there.

I have tried two different gear ratios on my 68 -a quick ratio 2.5 lock to lock and a slower one at (IIRC) about 3.5 lock to lock. Both were about the same on the turning radius of the truck but I prefer the 3.5 one. It seems a little more stable on the highway.

Upgrades--small block, tilt column, disc 5 lug conversion (front and rear),

Future Projects--suburban gas tank under the bed, rear roll pan, better gas mileage (currently about 6-10 MPG)
jayssunm is offline   Reply With Quote