The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Short68

Here we go again

Hello fellow truck enthusiasts. I have been looking at everyone's build threads and it has motivated me to start working again on my truck I hope to contribute to that and inspire others to keep these classics alive. A little background about myself and my truck. I'm a fresh out of school engineer in the Houston, TX area. My truck is a 1968 Chevy short fleetside. My dad and I rebuilt it while i was in high school for my first vehicle. When we were putting the finishing touches on it he was ordered over to Afghanistan for a while and we scrambled to get it back together so naturally there were some things that were less than satisfactory as far as quality goes. All in all it turned out looking like the attached pictures. So he comes back and I start college and drive it for a while and about a year ago my front pump seal on my transmission went out. Dropping the transmission snowballed into the truck being in a state of complete disassembly, in which it has stayed until a month or so ago. Since then I have acquired a later model frame I believe 1980?? I know it is a GMC though. I have cleaned it up and had it powder-coated and I would like to share some pictures and my progress along the way. Wish me luck...Please forgive the poor image quality it was late at night and my cell phone doesn't have a good camera.
Attached Images

Short68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Re: Here we go again

and to the boards from NC!!!

So you are putting the truck back on the 80's frame....what mods will you have to make to get everything to fit?? What other plans do you have for it??

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Short68

Thank you for the welcome. As for the wheelbase difference I ordered today a 4 link with coil overs to eliminate the old leafs and when I fab them up I will make sure the wheelbase is exactly the same as stock. Future plans right now is mainly just a bunch of cleanup of everything and a repaint there is a lot of bodywork that needs to be done to make it look new again. I am going through everything to make sure when I finish it will last.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Short68

Progress made last weekend: Sandblasted and painted front end suspension parts.

Opened up the rear diff... no posi. Although my hopes weren't that high to begin with. Gear oil was way nasty don't know if it was because previous owner used the bed as a burn bin or if there is something wrong internal to the rear but I suppose this doesn't matter as I will be looking for limited slip internals.

If I could poll my fellow members to which limited slip you guys recommend I guess the two big players are Eaton and Auburn all in all I will need something to reliably handle 600 flywheel hp. I am familiar with some of the obvious differences as I know how to use Google but being a mechanical engineer can anyone who has gotten intimate with either of these give a detailed description of how each works and the merits of each design??

Christmas time is bonus time for the company I work so I'll have to wait until then to buy more parts so I'm in the research/bodywork phase because it's relatively cheap.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Hey short68...I used the search feature at the top of the page and found several threads to help ya do some research on the eaton vs auburn....here's some for your reading pleasure
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418024
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413191
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=279622

hope these help and good luck

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
Short68

Sorry its been a while finally got some more money for goodies basically after this the frame will be complete.
To sum up:
Eaton Posi unit
3.73 gears
new axle shafts 5 lug
new rear disc brake kit
rear end rebuild kit
4 link suspension kit
coil overs for the rear
shocks for front
rotors for front
there's more but i can't remember off of the top of my head

Can't wait to work on it this weekend.