The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #26
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Re: 80 CJ7 Rebuild

Well only one picture for what I got done today, but it is a good one!

Finished cleaning and scraping on the motor earlier today, finally was able to mask it off and paint it up. I am really happy with how it turned out, especially with how the cast aluminum valve covers look on it.

I also got my bell housing painted, and started cleaning up the transfer case, the T case was filthy, and even more fun, I broke both of my torx bits trying to remove the 6 bolts that hold the input shaft in place, so I wound up having to drill them out. That was not fun. Luckily I was able to get one of them out in one piece and will be able to use it as an example to get some new ones.

With a few whacks from a hammer I was able to loosen the stubs up enough to pull them out with a pair of vice grips. Tomorrow morning I have a doctors appointment, after that I am going to be heading down to the parts house to get the novak conversions input shaft swapped in, then I will finish cleaning up the transfer case, get it painted, then bolt everything together and it will be ready to be stuffed in!

The next thing I have to worry about is finishing some cleanup on the frame rails, then I am going to paint them with Rust Oleum Undercoating. Then I will be ready to slide the drivetrain in place, and to start seeing what will have to do for a transmission cross member.

Hopefully I can be driving it by Saturday because that is when the temp tag on my other truck runs out.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #27
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
Wow, this is gonna be one sweet ride for you! And. Or a whole lot of investment. What were you doin in montana, come a little more north and we could of had a cold one! I have always been a big fan of jeeps, to me they arer one of the funnest wheeling machines out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks, I have been wanting this thing since I was about 6 years old.

I was in Montana because I was born and raised there. The whole point of this project is I am moving back up north, Going to be moving to Seattle in May, and I need a 4x4 because I will be traveling to Montana frequently to see my family. The Jeep will ensure I get there and back. If I stayed with my 2wd truck, it would be really really iffy!
Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #28
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

It was a long day today I spent all of it getting the input on the transfer case swapped out and chasing parts. It took a bit to find the counter sunk machine screws that I had to drill out, I also picked up some 1/4-20 studs for my valve covers. Will finish installing them tomorrow I locktiteed them into the heads hoping they will not back out. I have some nuts that are about an inch long I am going to put on them. will make it where I can tighten them with a socket or wrench easily.

Tomorrow I will finish cleaning up the transfer case, paint it and reseal all of the covers. and then it will be time to mate the engine tranny and transmission. I was hoping to have all this done yesterday but we had a tree down at the house so I spent it messing with that.

There is still a lot to do but inching closer all the time.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Today got cut short, I forgot to bring my slide hammer, so I didn't get to get the engine in. I have to pull the old pilot bearing and put in a new one, id be tempted just to run it, but the old one is buggered up pretty bad so I am not going to risk it.

The fact that I have been in a lot of pain has been complicating things too I am having a hard time walking so it is making progress slow going. I am seriously ready for this to just be over with.

I did managed to get the transfer case all mounted up to the transmission though. I was surprised how tight of a fit the transmission output shaft to the novak conversions input shaft was. I had to use a dead blow to get the transfer case to go on and seat up.

It is probably better that I am waiting until tomorrow to mount it up anyways because it means the RTV will be able to seal up over night before I start messing with it.

I did also wire wheel the frame and paint it with the rust oleum rubberised undercoating.

All that is left to do now is to put the new pilot bearing in, mount the flywheel and clutch, then I can bolt the engine to the transmission, bolt up the motor mounts, then I can stuff it in!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #30
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Today was a busy day.

Got the engine and transmission mated up. Forgot to bring my clutch alignment tool with me, so instead of being able to line it up easy, I wound up just hanging the clutch, left the disc loose mated it up and was able to tighten the clutch down through the hole for the throw out arm.

It all worked out.

Finally hoisted it up, rolled the jeep in, stuffed it in its hole.

Having it in place was such an awesome feeling.

Tomorrow I will be building a transmission cross member, then once I do that I will start getting the front fenders cleaned up and bolted in place, and the grill and hood. I have a few repairs that I need to do to the grill but it should not take too long. Going to be a great feeling seeing it all put back together.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #31
cannaert

LOOKING GOOD. Love Jeeps. Ilike the FSj you go as well.
My CJ is almost done. I am on my way up to were it is tomorrow to finish it up as long as I get a phone call.
cannaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #32
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Got my transmission cross member built tonight.

The pics suck because I forgot my camera, took em with my cell phone.

Tomorrow will get it bolted in and finished up. Then I can start working on getting the accessory drive put back on the engine. Need to get the power steering hooked up, also have to clearance the front cross member on the frame.

I will remember my camera tomorrow so you all can see it installed.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #33
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Well got a lot done today, started off by bolting up the new trans cross member.

I am really happy with how it turned out. I still have some finishing to do to it later, I will wind up capping all of the tubes and adding a skid plate. but for now it is good to go.

Also bolted up the accessory drive. I didn't bother cleaning it up real pretty because I am going to get the Bulltear serpentine drive setup for it.

Then I got the new fender cleaned up, painted and installed.

I also took the time to scrub up the rest of the front clip the best I could tomorrow morning I am going to reinstall it. Put the hood back on, put the doors back on, get my mess cleaned up and town the jeep home with the tow bar.

Over the next couple of months I am going to be gathering parts again, I need Headers, all the exhaust, a pair of drivelines, and all of the goodies for the axles. I am also going to get a new wiring harness, need new control cables for the Heater, and need a new heater core. Lots of little things but slowly and surely it is coming back together. I am just glad this phase of the project is over with.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #34
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Crappy cell phone pic...

THE FRONT CLIP IS BACK ON!!!

Had to come home for a little bit because I was getting violently ill. I have a few more things to button up tonight, then clean up my mess and bring it home!

Going to be sitting for the next couple of months until I can get my new wiring harness, headers and driveshafts. as well going to get a new heater core, rebuild the heater, do a DD fab dash, and instal all new gauges, Little things like that. Need to get all the parts to do it first so the jeep will be going back into storage for a while.

I sure am happy to have it this far though.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #35
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

I forgot to throw this up last week, I snapped this Thursday when I was hopping in the truck to head for Houston. This is where my Jeep will be sitting until I can go get it in a few weeks.

I am really wishing I was driving it right now, but just going to take a little time.