The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
'79squared

Rear spring's

OK, so I got my truck and after a 2 1/2 hour drive home my butt was sore because the thing was so stiff. Looking at it noticed some one had put an * spring leaf set up in the back. WOW stiff. So my question is (thinking that 4 is the norm), Is four the best way? I've seen some on 3 but seems that would be to soft.
'79squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
ringger14

Re: Rear spring's

My 84 Short bed has 6 on it. Rode pretty good with that. I was going to switch it to 4 but its getting a flip kit so I decided to stay with 6 in case I need to haul something. The 6 leafs were hard to find new without paying a small fortune. I hear alot about guys running 4 and Id agree 3 would be pretty spongy.
ringger14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
cory d

i run 5 and the over load to keep it stiff adn so so doesnt sway on all the windy roads around here that are banked the wronge way. ive read that allot of peopl run the main, the one under it and the over load for a softer ride. all depends on what you want out o fthe ride and how much ponies and going to the wheels
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
'79squared

Sorry that was supposed to say 8 leaf set up. But thanks for some response. I think I will try dropping at least 3 down to a 5.
'79squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
'79squared

Ok, so from left to right. New shackle, original and home made that truck came with. They took the originals, cut them, added 3" peace of steal and if you notice they welded it back together with one end back words OMG.

Then, I went to the bone yard and got stock '78 7/1 springs because as you can see, the ones with the bend were in it AND the bend was solid against the bottom of the bed. I took the new ones all apart and cleaned every peace because surface rust was rampant. Then I made them 5/1's with the new shackles and walah. All is good but now I need new rear shocks. LMAO doesnt surprise me. Heck they even welded on their own rear bumper mounts which I will have to deal with. But thats part the fun haha.
Attached Images