The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
jackson

front sheet metal

1 to 10 degree of dificulty. reinstalling front end after a clip
jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
G&R's57GMC

Re: front sheet metal

Depends, AD or TF ?
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
jackson

sorry ad
Old 03-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
Kim57

I would think the biggest problem is going to be the core support no matter which year you have. It takes a lot of measuring and time to get it right.
Kim
Old 03-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
OrrieG

Over at stovebolts.com there is a very detailed tech article on the right order to hang and align the cab,hood, core, doors and fenders. A search here will bring up a detailed thread from last summer or fall too. The short version is on AD's cab angle, then cab to hood to core support is done first. Then doors to cab, then inner fenders and fenders to hood, door and cab last. Also need to have the bed in the equation so the horizontal lines are right front to back.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
mr48chev

Front or rear steer stub?

When I had the rear steer stub on my 48 I was able to set the core support on the cross piece that the sway bars fasten to in front of the main crossmember. I was able to drill two new holes and use some sidewall sections out of an old tire as insulators to set the front end at the correct height.

I'd do as Orrie suggested and get the cab sitting at exactly the right height with new mounts and work out from there.

The biggest issue is trimming the inner fenders to clear the A arms of the stub and not trimming too much or having it look hacked up in the process. Depending on how you installed the stub you may have to trim the apron behind the grill and the front corners of the inner fender to fit and then go back and build some panels to replace what was cut out.

If I had the front end apart I think I would work with the inner fenders first and try to get them to clear the A arms while being fastened to the firewall. Once you have that problem solved and the core support in place you should be able to assemble and adjust the front end fairly easily.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
RLN THDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Over at stovebolts.com there is a very detailed tech article on the right order to hang and align the cab,hood, core, doors and fenders. A search here will bring up a detailed thread from last summer or fall too. The short version is on AD's cab angle, then cab to hood to core support is done first. Then doors to cab, then inner fenders and fenders to hood, door and cab last. Also need to have the bed in the equation so the horizontal lines are right front to back.
See this makes me think you arent talking about an AD truck at all???

The door are not part of the alignment process.
RLN THDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLN THDR View Post
See this makes me think you arent talking about an AD truck at all???

The door are not part of the alignment process.
They are on a Task Force truck of which Orrie has several.

Jackson I can post a photo of my hacked up inner fenders that I cut way too much out of trying to get things to fit in 1981 if that would help.

1. You do want the cab setting at the correct height with new cab mounts. If it is sagging a bit one way or the other you will just have a bigger fight on your hands.

2. expect to do some trimming on both the inner fenders and the apron behind the grill. That might depend on how high the stub was set on the frame though.

3. As I said before in post 6 I think, it is easier to trim the inner fenders to fit the A arms if you have the front end apart so you can set them up to the truck and trim a bit at a time so you don't have a big gapping hole around the A frames. This is where a throw away set would come in handy if you have the front end all together and don't want to take it apart. It can be done with the front end together but it is a exercise in frustration before you are done and you really need a couple of helpers to help lift and hold the front end so it doesn't get skinned up.

I'll check to see if you have any build photos to see how you have the stub set up to see if I can add anything.
UPdate a few minutes later:
I went and looked and you have not posted any photos so I'm not sure what you are working with and one of your previous posts was about putting a MII crossmember under an AD truck. Just exactly what are you working with here?
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
They are on a Task Force truck of which Orrie has several.

Jackson I can post a photo of my hacked up inner fenders that I cut way too much out of trying to get things to fit in 1981 if that would help.

1. You do want the cab setting at the correct height with new cab mounts. If it is sagging a bit one way or the other you will just have a bigger fight on your hands.

2. expect to do some trimming on both the inner fenders and the apron behind the grill. That might depend on how high the stub was set on the frame though.

3. As I said before in post 6 I think, it is easier to trim the inner fenders to fit the A arms if you have the front end apart so you can set them up to the truck and trim a bit at a time so you don't have a big gapping hole around the A frames. This is where a throw away set would come in handy if you have the front end all together and don't want to take it apart. It can be done with the front end together but it is a exercise in frustration before you are done and you really need a couple of helpers to help lift and hold the front end so it doesn't get skinned up.

I'll check to see if you have any build photos to see how you have the stub set up to see if I can add anything.
UPdate a few minutes later:
I went and looked and you have not posted any photos so I'm not sure what you are working with and one of your previous posts was about putting a MII crossmember under an AD truck. Just exactly what are you working with here?
i have a 49. i havent done anything to it yet. just trying to find out the best plan of attack. was thinking about a malibu monte carlo clip. but they are front steer and i think its gonna be a pain with the original core support. mustang two is probably the way to go but its going to take me a lot longer to save up the initial cost of the kit. thanks guys for your input
Old 03-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
OrrieG

I missed it was a clipped truck. As said getting the cab and core support right is critical, need to also have the bed in the equation so the horizonal line is right.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote