The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
1project2many

Howdy.

Well, this is a neat board with a lot of heavily modified trucks. It's really interesting to see the range of work done here. Although my truck is much, much closer to stock I figured I'd introduce it to the board.

Well, first off I guess I need to find some better pictures. Those were acceptable back when everyone had dialup modems but not even close to today's standards. Anyway...

1957 long bed original V8 truck came from the factory with bed mounted spare, 4 speed transmission, and a fuse panel. Originally belonged to a farm and implement dealer in Nebraska, then re-registered under another dealer's name at the same address, I am the third registered owner. I picked it up in kind of rough shape in Alliance, NE from someone who had plans for big modifications but hadn't really done anything with it. That was in '92 or '93 and by spring of the following year it was on the road in eastern MT with no body work. Although I was told it had the original 283, when I picked it up it didn't take long to realize the engine had been replaced with a '63 327 which didn't run thanks to the heads and intake sitting in the cab. I built a low compression 307 using a 3" stroke 283 crank, .040" overbore of the 327 block, and 305 heads and a mild cam. I ran it for a year or so on the original 2bbl carb but an argument with a guy at work (I was a tech at a GM dealership at the time) caused me to pull the carb and replace it with crossfire injection from an '83 Camaro to prove it could be done. I ran it for several yars like that. After teaching my girlfriend (now wife) to drive standard in the truck I had to pull the clutch so I drove it into the shop to swap the clutch during lunch break one day. I ended having to wait a couple of days to get the correct T/O brg so while it was down I decided to pull the tie rod and have a friend machine the ends of a 1" diameter K10 tie rod to replace it. That took a couple of days more so while it was down I decided to pull the front wheel cylinders and have my friend install brass sleeves. And that took a couple more days so I decided to cut out the rusty step and replace it. One thing kept leading to another and the truck wasn't on the road until 3 years later, restored.

The current configuration is a nearly stock chassis using the original ball bearings (still tight) old asbestos shoes, and NOS hydraulic shocks on all corners (hard to match the ride of a good hydraulic shock). I've added factory turn signals, an inside rear view mirror, cigarette lighter, door handle scratch guards, RH and LH door locks keyed alikeand I had to replace the original black peep mirror on the door with a chrome one because someone broke the original while the truck was disassembled. I've switched from original style exhaust to headers, 2" pipes, and a crossover tube. It's quieter than some six cylinders. The radiator is from a 56 GMC LCF truck and is too big for a factory fan so I've got a 12" pusher fan on the front. I'm currently using a computer from a '90 pickup with my own tuning. The original four speed is still installed although I modified the shifter to cut down tremendously on noise transmitted from the old straight cut gears. Current mileage reads about 84,000 IIRC up from 57k when I picked it up.

The sending unit isn't working right now (probably a hole in the float) and I've decided it's time to address a few things that have bugged me over the years.

1) Change in tank pickup to add a baffle around the pump so sloshing doesn't cause temporary starvation at less than 1/2 tank.

2) Install vapor handling / purge valve and larger fuel cooler to reduce fuel smell in cab after fillups.

3) Move computer under dash to clear a path for my hand when releasing park brake. Change computer to later, faster model.

4) Replace K10 front sway bar. Plans are to locate or duplicate a factory style bar.

5) Replace four speed with NVG4500 5 speed. Years ago I started this project modifying a case and OEM bellhousing so the trans could be bolted in like original but I never finished it. Overdrive will be nice but the big plus is replacing the 4 speed which doesn't have a seal on the input shaft so I don't have to worry about gear oil contamination on the clutch.

6) Possibly replacing the dual throttle body Crossfire injection manifold with a single throttle body and Smokey Ram manifold that I've had around for years.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Kim57

Re: Howdy.

Welcome.
Looks like a real clean truck. Keep us posted on the up grades.
Kim