The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2011, 03:50 AM   #1
-Diesel-

Looking on some 6.2 6.5 advice

I just bought a 1983 K10 6.2. Its lifted on 35x14.50 Mickey Thompson. Any how, the 6.2 that came in the truck runs strong, or as strong as I can tell in 1st gear. And will start no problem in my single digit weather. I am putting a new tranny next week and will have it back on the road.

As part of the deal I got a complete manifold to oil pan running 6.5 turbo from a 94 3500. I am looking for a direction to take this truck next winter. Should I replace the 6.2 with the 6.5, mix and match the two to get a 6.2/6.5 turbo hybrid of sorts.

My biggest wonder is how to convert the electronic 6.5 to mecahnical engine I can stick in my 83 truck if I go that route. I have a non electronic tranny and no computer.

It has been too cold to really dig into this truck to see what all I got as far as gearing and such, it does have all new front end gear, and the lift kit is fairly new.

I am not looking to build a bunch of horsepower, I plan to use this truck as a semi daily driver, a few times a week, and to tow a small travel trailer maybe once a month in the summer. Im looking to get as much mpg as possible, I realize the lift and tires dont help, but they look good.
-Diesel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
DetroitDan

Re: Looking on some 6.2 6.5 advice

it's been done, both ways. You can put the exhaust manifolds and turbo on the 6.2, or drop in the 6.5 and use the computer out of the 94 truck (if you have it). Dont need to worry about computer control for the electronic tranny unless you were putting in the electronic tranny, but it sounds like you're not. 94 has simpler electronics than later years, but you will still need a computer to run it. Cheaper to upgrade the 94 computer with a chip though, so that's good. Would definitely upgrade to 97 cooling, 94s had a bad design. Off the top of my head I cant recall everything that the computer needs to monitor to tell the engine to run, but it's the usual stuff, temps and so forth. Oil pressure I think. Should be able to install the 94 computer and harness to the motor, and the motor doesn't need to know it's not in a 94.
Good luck! I'm thinking about a similar swap right now, but I definitely want to change trannies too, I hate the th400. I want either a 4l80e or a 5 speed manual.
Check out thetruckstop.us for good diesel advice.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
hatzie

It sounds like the 6.2 runs and has good compression. The 6.5 will sell for good money the 6.2 will not. I'd sell the 6.5 and use the proceeds to get some goodies like a Fluidamper and Diesel Services Group gear drive timing set for the 6.2. The 6.5 turbo setup is a challenge to install on AC equipped squares and missing it will cost you on the engine price. A banks kit will fit better but it's some serious bucks.

You'll need the go pedal, wiring, and computer from the 94 to keep the DS4 electronic pump. You could use a 93 6.5L 4911 DB2 or build a hybrid 6.2L DB2 injection pump to make the 6.5 mechanical. Both mechanical options will give you less power to work with and they're expensive.

If you keep the 6.5 I would update the cooling to 97+ specs and add a Fluidamper and DSG timing set.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
arrover

You should read Bobbie Martins Db2 Conversion Guide. It deals with converting the 6.5 to an all mechanical engine. You can download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?4wj51rn22o6z6 . Lots of pictures and info that would be worth your time.

Also, I really don't want to direct anyone away from this awesome site but dieselplace.com has a 6.2 and a 6.5 section with tons of info.
arrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
-Diesel-

The truck was an ac truck, but some one in the past has yarded everything out. Im going to read up some of these places and decide where to go with it. Thanks for the input.
-Diesel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
odee

you can build a hybird ac box with s10 parts that will angle away from the engine. I have done my 6.5 truck this way and the 86 with the cummins I'm building right now. You can swap a mech pump onto the 6.5 without any issues.
odee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by odee View Post
you can build a hybird ac box with s10 parts that will angle away from the engine. I have done my 6.5 truck this way and the 86 with the cummins I'm building right now. You can swap a mech pump onto the 6.5 without any issues.
Do you have pics of the s10 box installed?
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote