The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
Eric1970

Re: 1970 C-10 Tire Sizes

Thank you all for your replies- this is a great forum!

Jocko-
The idea is to maintain the stock appearance. I have read that the rally rims were a factory option in 1970, although if that is not the case, I still like there look the best. I have only purchased the front rims (8" wide) so far. I may have been wrong about the stock rim size; 8" just seemed right for the front.

I was more curious as to why everyone goes with bigger tires than what was originally stock, other than less apparent mileage on the speedometer. Is there a technical reason for this? (mileage, handling, etc.) or is it purely aesthetic? I'm fine with them being wider, I prefer the height (which would be the biggest apparent factor) to be close.

I know that bigger tires in the back transfer more power to the road, while narrower tires get better mileage and handle better in the snow.

I would be going for stock/slightly larger than stock in the front, and either slightly larger than stock or pro-street on the back.

Ideally, I'm attempting to go for a balance between performance and (dare I say) practical. I'd like to drive this truck on a few long road trips when it is done.

Paws- sounds like 255's are the way to go. Thank you! Beautiful truck, by the way!

SS Tim- Thank you for the clarification. What were the stock size rims? were they the same all around, or different in the front and rear?

I suppose I ought to figure out how to post a build thread. At the moment, my C-10 is in a rat-rod stage. I purchased it just over a year ago, and so far, have a freshly rebuilt 350/350 and magnaflow exhaust. I am converting to front wheel disc brakes this week, using an ssbc kit that fits in the 15x8 rally rims. Otherwise, I plan on changing the tranny to a 6-speed manual (was originally a 4-speed) primarily for mileage (and I like to shift). I will be building a mechanical linkage, as 1970 was the last year of mechanical linkage, as well as relocating the fuel tank (for safety- nieces and nephews ride in my truck), and am considering using pneumatic springs so I can raise or lower the truck (primarily for better mileage, without sacrificing payload capacity). Otherwise, I'd like to keep the look itself fairly original.
Eric1970 is offline   Reply With Quote