The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
danpomeroy

Question LS Swap questions

Hello All,

I am running late with my build but I am 2 paychecks away!!

I am going to be ordering an engine from Spaldings because I want very low miles and the selection here where I live sucks. I am currently thinking a 5.3 and a 4L60E. I can get pretty low miles, good gas mileage, and easy setup.

Anyhow, I have been doing some research and have a couple quick questions. First though I habe a '69 C10 2wd. It has a 350/350 in it now.

First question involves drive by wire. Should I get the pedal from Spaldings when I get the motor or is it better to order one from someplace else? Basically, is one better than the other.

Second, if I am using factory gauges, what do I need to get to make the speedo work?

Third, what would be the best header for that? I would love the cheapest ones possible, even factory if that would work.

Finally, for fuel I am going to keep the in cab tank (for now) so I am going to go with external fuel pump and corvette filter. Since it's 1 line to the engine, do I have to plug off the return line?

I apologize if these are "dumb" questions but I couldn't find definitive answers. If I missed it and there are other posts with the answers then please point me that direction. Also, if there is a decent guide out there I'd love to be pointed in that direction.

Thank you in advance for all the help I will need.
My build thread
danpomeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Re: LS Swap questions

Best bet it to get the pedal and TAC with the motor. You can get the pedal and TAC elsewhere, but it is imperative all things match year wise and you have more variables such as adjustable pedals you could run into.

A cable X box will make the speedo work, or one of the members on here posted how to make your speedo electronic.

Headers, I and others have had good luck with Trail Blazer SS (TBSS) manifolds.

Return line from the vette filter must run back to the tank. Hope this helps and

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpomeroy View Post

First question involves drive by wire. Should I get the pedal from Spaldings when I get the motor or is it better to order one from someplace else? Basically, is one better than the other.
With DBW its best to get the pedal, tac module, computer, and throttle body all from the same vehicle. In your case, if they have the matched set it would be best to get it all at once. You don't really have the luxury of "best pedal"...with dbw it either works or it doesn't. (there are a couple aftermarket ones, but I know little of their functionality.

Second, if I am using factory gauges, what do I need to get to make the speedo work?
Its a digital output, and you need an analog input. There is a product called (iirc) X-drive, than lets you run a cable driven speedo off of your current setup.

Third, what would be the best header for that? I would love the cheapest ones possible, even factory if that would work.
Trailblazer SS manifolds are a good cast manifold that squeeze into almost anything.
:
Above in red.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
Daaaanz67

Also check out ls1 tech for the speedo someone on there is working on speedo set up I think it's called make that speedo work its for ls swap To use my stock speedo.They are in the test mode of this unit and it seems to be holding up well. I'm watching closely and will probably be getting one for my 69 ls conversion that I'm currently working on. On the return line I drilled through the sending unit and bent a hard line following the same angles of the pickup and terminated about an inch and a half above the pickup sock. Walbro external pump and vette filter/regulator is what I used.
Posted via Mobile Device
Daaaanz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
jfortvalley

advance adapters sells a addon for the 4l60e to use the mechanical speedo and still have output for compter
jfortvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchevy View Post
Best bet it to get the pedal and TAC with the motor. You can get the pedal and TAC elsewhere, but it is imperative all things match year wise and you have more variables such as adjustable pedals you could run into.

A cable X box will make the speedo work, or one of the members on here posted how to make your speedo electronic.

Headers, I and others have had good luck with Trail Blazer SS (TBSS) manifolds.

Return line from the vette filter must run back to the tank. Hope this helps and
You replied WHILE I was typing, beat me to the draw by 1.5 minutes according to my computer! grrrrrrrrrrr lol, nice job usm!

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
You replied WHILE I was typing, beat me to the draw by 1.5 minutes according to my computer! grrrrrrrrrrr lol, nice job usm!
lol Thanks.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
danpomeroy

Thank you for the responses. I have been really busy.

Just ordered my motor. Getting an all Aluminum 5.3 Crate and a 4L60E. I think this should do the trick.
My build thread
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
clinebarger

I run one of these on my Suburban for my mechanical speedo http://www.speedscenewiring.com/ssw_...products_id=12 Didnt cost that much 7 years ago, But it has lasted 7 years with NO problems, Buying a electric drive box or a one-off electric speedo head is a problem waiting to happen.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinebarger View Post
Buying a electric drive box or a one-off electric speedo head is a problem waiting to happen.
I wouldn't say that. I have a Cable-X that is 11 years old and has about 130,000 miles on it and it still works perfect. Granted, the newer ones I've bought haven't been quite as good, so that's why I did the electric speedo conversion, which is just an S-10 speedo with a different face mounted in a '71 cluster so I don't forsee any problems with it.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #11
danpomeroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
I wouldn't say that. I have a Cable-X that is 11 years old and has about 130,000 miles on it and it still works perfect. Granted, the newer ones I've bought haven't been quite as good, so that's why I did the electric speedo conversion, which is just an S-10 speedo with a different face mounted in a '71 cluster so I don't forsee any problems with it.
So... Quick question... Do you have a link to the conversion?
Posted via Mobile Device
My build thread
Old 05-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #12
danpomeroy

Ok, another question...

This would work right? http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd776.htm

I can't see spending the money on either of those other devices when I need new instruments anyhow.
Posted via Mobile Device
My build thread
Old 05-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpomeroy View Post
Ok, another question...

This would work right? http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd776.htm

I can't see spending the money on either of those other devices when I need new instruments anyhow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes those gauges will work great and look awesome. The down side is price.

Here's a link to my speedo conversion, not the easiest conversion though. I just like to do things to see if I can. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=512751
Posted via Mobile Device

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote