The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
cleanshaven84

Project No Time '49

Decided to make it official and bring my project over to the build forum. This is my '49 GMC. Bought it in October of 2011 and haven't done much since. Just recently started tearing down the donor S-10 so I can get the frame ready for mock-up. Also plan to use the 4.3L and tranny. Here's a few pics to get this thread started.

Sitting in the woods ready to be restored.

Original Inline 6

Currently working on S-10 chassis swap.

Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
cleanshaven84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
cleanshaven84

Re: Project No Time '49

The donor S-10. '93 short bed with 4.3l and 700R4 tranny.

Tear down.

Plan to pull engine and tranny this weekend then will start working on the frame to get it ready for cab fitment. More pics to come!

Old 08-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
cleanshaven84

Worked on the donor S10 more today. First this morning I got the motor and tranny pulled with all the wiring. That'll be fun to put back together. After that, I bought a gallon of degreaser and soaked the frame. I then pressure washed it clean and was surprised as to how clean it actually got. Tommorrow will be a fun day. My buddy found a '51 Chevy 5 window cab with a set of doors on craigslist early this morning. The guy was asking $350 but he agreed to selling it all for $300. I'm super stoked now that I don't have to drop money into a new roof for the '49 and can now build a good cab between the two. I'm pretty partial to my 3 window so that what I will be going back with. Anyways, here's a vew pics of what I did today. Next step is to remove the old cab mounts from the frame and get the new cab on for mock up of the new mounts.

No before pics but the front end was covered in old grease. Came clean nicely.

The motor and tranny sitting aside, waiting for a rebuild.

And here is a pic of the new cab and doors from the craigslist ad. Ill have more tomorrow.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
bjcaldwe

Nice start, welcome.
bjcaldwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
cleanshaven84

Nothing special today but took a couple of shot of the cab I picked up yesterday. Plans are to take the roof off this cab and replace the one on my cab. Probably sell the doors, dash, and anything else I can that is good. It came with a clear 1951 title and plate. Came back as a 1951 3600. Also scored a nice set of 5th window corner glasses too that I'll end up selling. I plan to swing by my parents place to get my dad's cutting torch so I can start cleaning up the s10 frame. More pics to come soon.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
msaintg

looking good. I searched and searched for an S10 long bed with the 4.3L / auto tranny combo but could not find one. Now I am really kicking myself for using the 4X4 Blazer chassis..... waaaaay more work than it should have been.

Why are you not using the entire new cab instead of just using the top portion? If you just like the 3 window better, wouldn't it be easier to close up those holes with the panels from the 3 window cab?
msaintg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
1952ssr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanshaven84 View Post
Nothing special today but took a couple of shot of the cab I picked up yesterday. Plans are to take the roof off this cab and replace the one on my cab. Probably sell the doors, dash, and anything else I can that is good. It came with a clear 1951 title and plate. Came back as a 1951 3600. Also scored a nice set of 5th window corner glasses too that I'll end up selling. I plan to swing by my parents place to get my dad's cutting torch so I can start cleaning up the s10 frame. More pics to come soon.

Those doors are for a '52 -55'(1st series) not a '51 they had the turn down handles but had vent glasses. Might have been a late '51 model.
1952ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaintg View Post
Why are you not using the entire new cab instead of just using the top portion?
My thought too, they both look about the same amount of work.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
cleanshaven84

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaintg View Post
looking good. I searched and searched for an S10 long bed with the 4.3L / auto tranny combo but could not find one. Now I am really kicking myself for using the 4X4 Blazer chassis..... waaaaay more work than it should have been.

Why are you not using the entire new cab instead of just using the top portion? If you just like the 3 window better, wouldn't it be easier to close up those holes with the panels from the 3 window cab?
From a distance they both look to be the same amount of work but when you get down to it, the 5 window needs more rust repair in several spots that my cab doesn't. My plan was to take the corners off my cab and "shave" the 5th windows. The 5 window has alot of rust damage on the firewall and where the fenders mount. The rockers are pretty rough too. All that on my cab is in great shape.

As for the doors being newer, I knew that once I got there since they weren't the pull down style. I'm actually thinging of using these on my doors because I like the push button better.

Hopefully soon I can get back on it and start tearing the '49 down so I can test fit the cab to the new frame. I just finished up my cousins Jeep last night so my project is now off the back burner. Look forward to more pics in the near future

Old 10-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
cleanshaven84

Got an hour or two to work on the S10 frame today. Didn't get much done but it's progress. Removed the gas tank and rearend then cut off the old body mounts on the passenger side and also flipped the rear leaf spring mounts and got them tacked on. Next will be to make sure the rear mounts are in the right place then weld them up, slide the front leaf mounts back 8", cut the body mounts off the drivers side, cut and cap the front of the frame, replace the front coils since the PO heated them up to lower it, and then start disassembling the '49 so I can test fit the cab. It's going a lot slower than I want it to but you have to take what little time ya get and put it to good use. More pics to come.

Passenger mounts gone

Tacked for now

Old 10-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
flatbed51

I know what you mean about getting only a little done. Progress is progress though. I have been waiting almost a year to get anything done on mine, but have managed to do a little here lately.

48,49,50 Chevy trucks. 41 Olds
flatbed51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #12
99 to Life

hey, even getting the frame stripped and prepped and painted is a great feeling. then setting the cab on is another great feeling, then moching up the bed and fenders and all that and just seeing the shell on the frame will make it feel so much more complete. Once you get past all that, then the tedious stuff comes in, like wiring, patch panels, interior, interior, interior, and not to mention engine and trans placement. brake lines, fuel lines, exhaust etc. assuming its staying in patina, paint is a whole other world of time. But its all fun and in the end sooo worth it. Once you get the cab mounted and the engine and trans in and take it for one test drive, wow such a huge weight off your shoulders. keep it up though, you'll get there.

49Hardtimes s/10 susp- bagged, vortec sbc, 5 speed, patina, sold
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=594874
VIDEOS https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA
https://youtu.be/E8zHhjgS_lA

Geronimo 54' LS engine, static drop IFS, Client build, just about done
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...62#post7399162

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
99 to Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #13
cleanshaven84

It's definitely tedious right now but it will all be worth it in the end. Even though its all tedious, this type work has to be right on or you will have problems in the long run.

Tonight I worked on it for a few more hours and once again feel like I got very little accomplished. I got the front leaf mounts removed and marked where the need to be reattached. Also got the fuel lines removed and cut off the drivers side cab mounts. I started welding up the rear of the frame where I flipped the rear leaf mounts but ran out of time. I didn't take any pics bc it's just boring work right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 10-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #14
cleanshaven84

More small progress tonight. Got the front leaf mounts moved and bolted in place after hours of measuring. Next step is to brace the area where I flipped the end of the frame, weld the rear of the front leaf mounts where it couldn't be bolted, then start tearing down the front suspension. I have to replace the coils since the PO thought it would be smart to heat them up to lower the truck. Stupidity really ticks me off sometimes. Oh well. Here's a pic with the rearend reinstalled when we check to make sure everything was in order. One day I will be posting exciting pics, lol.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
cleanshaven84

Had a good day today. Last night after I worked on the truck I ran across a guy selling parts from a 97 4x4 s10 blazer. Drove an hour and a half and bought a rearend, leaf springs, shocks, drive shaft, and two wheels for $100! Got home with the parts and managed to get the leafs apart so I could add the missing leafs to my setup, got them back together and now have the 4x4 rearend installed. Everything lined up great. Couldn't ask for a better day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 11-03-2012, 12:29 AM   #16
cleanshaven84

Made a little more head way tonight. Didn't get out to the shop until 8 but managed to get everything off the frontend by 10. Plan to pick up some 2" drop coils and drop shocks in the morning that I'm getting for $25. Also plan to go by the scrap yard to pick up some 3/16" flat stock and some channel to add to the rear of the frame. Tomorrow I plan to trim and cap the front frame horns, clean the front end pieces, and possibly paint everything before I put it all back together. It's nothing big but here's some pics. I'll post more progress tomorrow.

Front end

And thanks to the previous owner, this is why I'm having to replace the front coils.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #17
cleanshaven84

Got a lot of work done this weekend. Friday night I got everything off the front end. Early saturday morning I pick up some lowering coils and shocks from a guy for $25 and they have less than 500 miles on them. Couldn't pass that up. Saturday afternoon I trimmed the frame horns and got them boxed. That night I had a few friends swing uy and after we painted all the suspension pieces and put everything back together. We got all the way down to the last nut on the tie rod end and found out that the nut was stripped. So, after a trip to the parts store this morning, I installed a new outer tie rod and put her back on the ground. Next step is to finish up the rear of the frame and before too long, put the '49 cab on the frame for mock up. Here's a few pics for your viewing pleasure.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
cleanshaven84

Got about an hour in after work this afternoon. Got the rear suspension parts power washed and painted. The rearend came out really nice. Still need to replace the pinion seal. Did the leaf springs too but I forgot a pic. Next step, put it all back together and the start fitting the cab. Now the fun really begins!!!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #19
BILL48

looks great, what are you plans for ride height you going to keep it stock s10 height or drop it down a bit ??

my build....
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550025

Last edited by BILL48; 11-05-2012 at 10:07 PM.
BILL48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #20
cleanshaven84

Plan is to drop it just enough to give it an aggressive stance but not so low that I can't drive over anything. My original plan were bags but its just not in the budget right now. Maybe a few years down the road I'll be able to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 11-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #21
99 to Life

looks good, 2" spindles and 3" blocks will get you pretty low. You could mount 4.5-5" off frame if you went that route, might help. I went about 3.5-4" and my running boards are about 6" off ground. I love it, but def hit some stuff here and there.

52' 3100 Slowly in progress, will be painted two toned, have 235 with a t-5, lowered OG frame

Other projects, 49' farmuse 3100, killer Patina, will be slammed, LS engine, full done interior up next!

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
Old 11-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #22
cleanshaven84

Thanks. When I replaced my coils I lucked into some 2" drop coils and shocks for $25. I will run some 2" blocks in the rear and mount the cab 4" off the frame. With the 4" I know that the cab will clear the S10 gas tank. I figured if I wanted to go lower I could always add some drop spindles. I really like the stance to your ride 99 to life. I think I'll end up with about the same stance you have. At least that's what I'm shooting for.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 11-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #23
99 to Life

sounds like a plan, I'm working on a 49' here real soon, I'm baggin it, so it will be nice to have a higher stance if needed. But honestly, I think having the running boards 6-7" off ground is just an awesome stance, s-10 route is so economical, not the most traditional, but hey times change. gotta luv the s-10 frames, so easy to lower and work on. Its fun to see the frame all painted up, just waiting for the cab. Only thing I'm gonna do different is more welding, I didn't even have a welder for most of my build, so I bolted alot of stuff on, much more time consuming. when mounting your cab, the front mounts will be right on the frame where it starts to kink in, so just watch out for that. I'd also get your fenders and bed moched up too to help keep your cab squared up.

www.coffeeandcustoms.com
Old 11-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #24
cleanshaven84

Thanks for the tip 99. I'll keep those in mind when I go to place my cab. Here's a few pics from tonight. Once again, only got an hour out in the shop tonight and didn't get much done. Did manage to get the rearend back under the frame. Once that was in, I rolled the frame outside and for the first time, the '49 is in the shop! Only took a year and a half, lol. This will probably be it for working on it this week though. The wife needs chores done. Saturday I'll start tearing it down and hopefully have the body off this frame and have the cab sitting on the S10 frame. I'll post some better progress pics this weekend.

I know I already posted a pic of the rearend painted but here's a better pic. Just wish I had taken a before just so ya'll could see how nasty and caked up this thing was.

Also painted the leaf springs, u bolts, and shock plates. Looks out of place with a rusted frame.

My little 20x20 shop is cramped now.

Doesn't help I have a ton of other things in my shop, lol. I think there will be just enough room to get the '49 done.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #25
99 to Life

coming together, is that a reg rear or a 4x4 rear, pardon if I missed that? either way you can run spacers, which I'm sure you know about. Can't wait to see the cab on the frame, its a great feeling. But even better when you have all the metal moched up, wow is that a great feeling too.

www.coffeeandcustoms.com