The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
'87 Static Slam

Exclamation Air Vent Replacement

Hey guys,
So, I bought some new vent directors thru LMC, hac veow do I get the old broken air vent direction pieces out of the dash? I got the center out and replaced, I got the pass side out but cant get the new one back in, and I cant figure out how to get the drivers center (by the radio) out.

any help would be appreciated.....
'87 Static Slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Air Vent Replacement

use a thin screwdriver to pry them out from the center of the sides and push them in the opposite to install

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
'87 Static Slam

The screw driver worked for the pass side and the center, but the drivers side center is made different. the new vent has a different design with big posts on each side. I think the instrument cluster has to come off and they come out from behind maybe??
Old 08-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
grs

Quote:
Originally Posted by '87 Static Slam View Post
The screw driver worked for the pass side and the center, but the drivers side center is made different. the new vent has a different design with big posts on each side. I think the instrument cluster has to come off and they come out from behind maybe??
The cluster bezel has to come off.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
'87 Static Slam

ok, I took the instrument cluster off and removed the housing for the center vent, the bolts are placed from behind so you have to take the cluster off to get to them. it was a piece of cake at that point.

the pass side was a *****, i cut off the little black tabs on the one end piece, I cant tell what if any function they provide, so I clipped em off to give me more room to push the new vent in. eventually it pushed in right about the point i thought it was gonna break the new part. but I did it!

these new vents make an unbelievable difference in overall dash appearance. good parts from LMC, and they look great.