The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Stepside Jim

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

Chevette, I'm impressed you can tell it's a Miller just by the picture, it's a Spectrum 2050.

Yes they are expensive, no I am not rich by no means. The Torchmate came to me by means that I didn't have to pay for it. As a matter of fact, it was technology I was afraid of, I accually denied accepting it for a while.

What I have learned over the last couple years is God will put you in a uncomfortable situation to grow you and improve you. Once I accepted the uncomfort of having to learn how to use this equipment my abilities grew at the same time. Once my abilities grew, then my desire to always do my best grew.

Indian113, you hit it on the head. I have a couple of items to post yet. It is a great pleasure to create items that you have to convince people that it's an original piece made at home.
Stepside Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside Jim View Post
Chevette, I'm impressed you can tell it's a Miller just by the picture, it's a Spectrum 2050.

Yes they are expensive, no I am not rich by no means. The Torchmate came to me by means that I didn't have to pay for it. As a matter of fact, it was technology I was afraid of, I accually denied accepting it for a while.

What I have learned over the last couple years is God will put you in a uncomfortable situation to grow you and improve you. Once I accepted the uncomfort of having to learn how to use this equipment my abilities grew at the same time. Once my abilities grew, then my desire to always do my best grew.

Indian113, you hit it on the head. I have a couple of items to post yet. It is a great pleasure to create items that you have to convince people that it's an original piece made at home.
I wish God would put me in that same uncomfortable position that he did with you (getting a torchmate and cad program).

By the way GOD, I am not wishing for ANYTHING different.

You have to make sure that you are specific when u ask for something as you might get something else.
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
Chevette

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
I wish God would put me in that same uncomfortable position that he did with you (getting a torchmate and cad program).

By the way GOD, I am not wishing for ANYTHING different.

You have to make sure that you are specific when u ask for something as you might get something else.
Ha ha ha ha............... you mean like a lightning bolt?

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Stepside Jim

No, no, those of us who like to work on vehicles shouldn't get lightning bolts, we should be getting Grade 8 bolts. yeah, I like that....
Old 09-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Stepside Jim

Once I got the fender emblem figured out, I was on the look out for another project.

I had the engine in place, the headers were in place, it was time to run the plug wires. I knew first off there were not going to go over the top of the valve covers. They had to go behind the valve covers, then follow the bottom of the valve cover, then turn off to each plug among the way.

I looked through the catalogs, I just didn't see what I was looking for, am I that fussy, maybe so, I just didn't want a bunch of adjustable screw brackets ect. I also wanted hide the small bit of cast iron that always burns the paint between the vave cover and the exhaust port on the big block chevys.

After many measurements I made a design that covers the cast ion and will hold each plug wire in perfect alighnment to the plug it is going to.

I'm cutting stainless steel, it's expensive, my best choice is to print the design on paper, then cut the pattern out of paper to check all my measurments.

The paper mock up.

After the paper one fit I cleaned up a few angles and cut the stainless steel. The rust mark on the stainless is from an other hung of steel laying on it.

More to follow...