The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
low82c10

Ls swap driveline angle

I been reading on here about driveline angle but most everything I read is for bagged or z'd. My question is if I had a 350/700r in my 82 swb do I need to worry about my angle? I didn't notice and viberation or nothing funny with it before I pulled out the old setup. Just don't want to regret anything I'm going to get a angle finder today. Btw I'm going with 5.3/4l60r
Posted via Mobile Device
low82c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #2
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Ls swap driveline angle

Your current setup would be fine, although i bet the motor has at least some rear pitch. The pinion angle is more important than the actual engine angle with most cases.

On ls motors the Ideal angle is shooting for approx 4* tilt on the motor. Its been brought up a few times on ls1tech, and Classic Parts has an article on the subject as well. The explanations given were that it helped with oil pickup and aided to preventing steam pockets (in addition to the steam pipes).

There are members that will say it doesnt' matter and that they never had problems....but most of them put their engines in before knowing this....so they'll defend their mistake.

Whatever you end up with, you need to set the rear end to "equal out" the engine angle, since the force of the driveline will change the angle. Failure to do so can result in vibration and broken u joints, or even damage to the rear end or output seal on the tranny.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Your current setup would be fine, although i bet the motor has at least some rear pitch. The pinion angle is more important than the actual engine angle with most cases.

On ls motors the Ideal angle is shooting for approx 4* tilt on the motor. Its been brought up a few times on ls1tech, and Classic Parts has an article on the subject as well. The explanations given were that it helped with oil pickup and aided to preventing steam pockets (in addition to the steam pipes).

There are members that will say it doesnt' matter and that they never had problems....but most of them put their engines in before knowing this....so they'll defend their mistake.

Whatever you end up with, you need to set the rear end to "equal out" the engine angle, since the force of the driveline will change the angle. Failure to do so can result in vibration and broken u joints, or even damage to the rear end or output seal on the tranny.
So you are saying that if the engine is 4* down in the rear, then the rear end should be 4* up, correct?

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
low82c10

Do you take the engine angle from the trans pan? What is the best place to get angle from rear or engine?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
low82c10

Does my frame have to be level and off the ground or is this done with all four tires on the ground?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

BuckSS thats the recipe for 0* which is fine most of the time. However I will say that its not uncommon to account for change in the pinion angle from the force of accellaration. Some people will build a few degrees difference into the driveline angle so under accel. the pinion will twist itself into the proper alignment.

It's fine to do it on a LEVEL surface. IF you do it on jack stands to level it, you will need to use a jack to load the suspension to get a realistic placement of the rear end to set the angles.

This is from Rossler, not sure if it will help visuallize anything.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
low82c10

this is what i came up with, let me know what you guys think. 1st picture is on the bottom of the trans output

this one is on the output of the rear diff